Mazda FL22 alternative?

Not wanting to spend an arm and a leg but wondering what coolant is good to replace the factory Mazda fill in my 2.0L skyactiv. It's a HOAT if I'm not mistaken and dark green.

Motorcraft Specialty Green Engine Coolant is supposed to be the exact same product in concentrate form.

Amazon sells a German made FL22 in both concentrate and 50/50 strength in 1.5L at a very good price. Check it out. Previously reported above by VQ35DE.

Oldtommy

I wouldn't gamble on buying something else, get genuine FL22.

Ravenol makes some that's generally less than Mazda's version and should work fine.

That said, it doesn't need to be changed often so getting it at the dealership shouldn't be a massive burden.

Motorcraft Specialty Green is the same thing. Zerex Asian Blue/GC Blue and Honda Type 2/Subaru Super Long Life are chemically the same but different color.

If you can find the OEM coolant at Pepboys (made by Reochem)....or the Pentosin A2.....you should be good to go...both come in concentrate.

I wonder if the local ford dealers would sell the Motorcraft stuff at a fair price.

Originally Posted by jayjr1105
I wonder if the local ford dealers would sell the Motorcraft stuff at a fair price.
Admittedly it's been awhile, but when I priced MC SG at a couple local Ford dealers, it was pricey. And that was even considering it a concentrate.

Personally I'd go with WM Valvoline/Zerex Asian in the blue tint, currently ~$12.50 gal. Like most Asian AFs including the oems it's a premix, same as FL22.

This looks interesting

7AEC6C84-A23F-40B8-86AC-9C51BF6382C0.png

Originally Posted by littlehulkster

Agreed
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted by dan_erickson
This looks interesting....
Yep PEAK OET Asian AF certainly an option if one must have the green tint in an extended life Phoat AF for FL22. At $18 a gallon not sure how much savings over FL22 though. Too bad the max 25% AAP online purchase discount didn't apply, but because it's on sale a no go. 25% off regular price making it ~$15, be better.

Originally Posted by Gebo
Originally Posted by littlehulkster

Agreed
thumbsup2.gif

Yeah as badly as the wrong coolant can mess things up, I don't see the wisdom in pinching pennies on something that MIGHT work, but is going to ruin your car if it doesn't.

The stuff is $40 a bottle, sure, but any damage you cause is going to cause WAY more than the $20 you saved to fix.

Originally Posted by rat
Dealer cost on a gallon of the Ford Specialty green is $23.02. I usually sell it for $28

Pre-diluted?

On the other hand, I'm actually not finding F22 marked anywhere on the car or the overflow tank. They said it would be stamped on the radiator cap but honestly I don't think my car has a radiator cap. I looked for a solid 5 minutes in broad daylight.

I wonder what the recommendation is for Mazda's without F22? I just assumed since I have the skyactiv motor that it would be the "fancier" of the two fluids noted in the manual.

Last edited:
I called the local Ford dealer and they said they carry VC-5. Is that the Motorcraft specialty green?

Back