Mazda 3 Fuel Filter ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ndx

Hi Guys,

I was told that Mazda 3 has no Fuel filter or maybe there is one that is build in gas pump .. And to replace that you need to drop gas tank ?

Wohoow what a stupid idea .... Or its just [censored] ?

N.

Last edited:
Thats insane .. maybe I should think about adding new external ?

Maybe, im thinking they must have a screen or something. But when your adding anything that isnt supposed to be there you have risks along with that. I'd do a bit of research, maybe post on mazda forums and ask if anyone has done so.

Edit: did some research for you. found out:
"It is part of the fuel pump inside the tank. Not only would you need to drop the tank to get access to it but the pump for a 2.3 is around $345, the pump for the 2.0 is $610."

Last edited:
Dr_No

Yeah I saw that on Yahoo not sure If i trust that source :)
But thank you very much !

Yeah np, but a couple posts on Mazda forums are all saying the filter is attached to the pump. If thats the case, then
shocked2.gif

Yeah ... Im just even thinking about cleaning the screen ... But hate idea of dropping tank I will check if maybe there is access in back seat

Thx

Its not an old idea either. My girlfriend had a dodge neon that had no fuel filter. We traded the car with 120k miles on it, no fuel related problems.

most new cars dont have fuel filters they are built in with the fuel pump in your gas tank maybe big bucks down the road.

My 2.3L focus does, and its related to your Mazda 3. Its odd they don't have one on the mazda.

The focus uses a tank mounted filter on the pump, then it uses another in line canister filter under the car.

I do know if you have to replace the fuel filter(s), you must replace the fuel pump too, as it is all one assembly. This will cost around $500.

Found all this on the Mazda3 forums...

Thread #1
"The Mazda3 has two fuel filters (coarse on suction side and fine on discharge side) which are both in the fuel tank as part of the fuel pump (accessible by removing rear seat and fuel tank service cover). Opening that service cover up will make the interior smell like gasoline, so I think I might just avoid it until necessary. If your filter plugs up to the point that it needs replacement, the power will cut out at high throttle (won't be able to supply enough fuel). No damage will occur, and the car will still run."

Thread #2
"So I emailed mazdausa.com, and asked:

I don't see the fuel filter listed
under "scheduled maintenance" table, does this mean that any repairs resulting from clogged fuel filters would be covered under warranty?

Here's the response:

In regards to your question, Mazda has done long term tests and has determined that it is not necessary to replace the fuel filter(s) in the MAZDA3. Mazda does recommend that you follow the Scheduled Maintenance listed on page 8-4 of the Owner's Manual. Please refer to your Warranty Booklet for more information regarding your MAZDA3."

Right, that's what we were told also regarding my buddy's '05 Mazda 3s. He's nearly at 100K miles now and it sees pretty regular autocross duty, and does not have any fuel related issues. *shrug* BUT it could be like BMW's sealed/no-service transmissions...when they blow up, you put new fluid in when the new transmission goes in haha.

no serviceable fuel filters. never seen an issue on a 3 as a result of not having one. we have replaced a few fuel pumps on 3's, but nothing that could've been avoided with having a filter.

the fuel filter for mazada 3s is in the filler neck before the gas tank. a good way to know if its clogged up is if you have a hard time filling your car. the reason you can not find a listing for it at parts stores is because you cant buy it youbuy the entire filler neck assembly and that comes with a new filter and is the only way to buy it, only place is right from mazada dealer and its 90 bucks or so thats canadian tho. i took the filler neck out pulled out the clogged filter put the filler neck back in with out the filter then the the fuel line right before the injectors is very easy to get to and has a quick attatch at each end took it off cut it in the middle went to a parts store found an inline filter that fit the hose clamped it at each end and snapped the line back into place works great

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back