Replace fuel pump with the sending unit?

Hi, I'm replacing my in-tank fuel gauge sending unit and my question is, should I also replace the fuel pump at the same time? The current pump is working well. Car is a 98 Pathfinder VG33e with 140k miles. A new pump is about $100, and it's money that I could spend elsewhere, but I wanted to get your opinions on if I should just suck it up and do them both. I've run Techron fuel system cleaner 2x back to back, and I put one in every 3 or 4 tanks. Always run premium gas. Thanks!

If I tried to do just the sending unit you could bet that $100 that the fuel pump would go out a week later after filling up the tank full to the top. If you had an access plate then maybe I'd do just the one, but if you have to drop the tank then do both.

one thing Nissan did fine on back in the day was the pumps, 250k easy on the OEM stuff.
But I have no idea about fuel tank access on 98 Pathfinder, if it's an 8/10 on the hassle scale, ??
If it's got decent access as mentioned above, run the original till it quits humming.

Jred: I can go in through the rear seat, don't need to drop the tank, so not that difficult.

c502: haha, that's just what I was thinking...

vw7674: good to know! That's what I was hoping to hear.

Thanks, guys. It looks like I'll roll the dice and save the $$ for now. Thanks for your help everyone!

+3 don't do the pump.

Whatever part you find won't be as good as the OE one in there.

Back