Mazda 3 - 5w40?

NJC

A family member has a 2009 Mazda 3 manual 2.0L with 299K KM's (186K miles). We've used 5w30 because it seems to consume oil between changes (could be close to 1L over 8K KM's). I didn't see the Euro part and bought this oil tonight:

Quaker State Euro Full Synthetic 5W-40 Motor Oil, 5-L​

Here's another relevant thread:

My question:

I don't foresee a problem using a 40W, considering the mileage. I'm more concerned that it's going to be run low on oil. Let me know if there are any reservations.

I have 0w-40 PP Euro in my 05 Honda that specs 5w20 and it is just fine, just check it regularly. Have QSFS Euro 5w40 in the my truck and all good. It is going in the Expedition next as well

Last edited:
Use it with confidence. Great oil with great approvals. I use this oil (and Mobil 1 0W-40) in every liquid-cooled engine I own. From 49cc single cylinder Honda Ruckus scooter to 4627cc V8 Hyundai Genesis and 5733cc V8 Chevrolet Tahoe, plus 25-ish 1/2/4/5/6/8-cylinder engines in between.
Any oil that carries European approvals (see my signature below for specifics) is great oil.

Last edited:
Canadian oil prices are currently obscene (Nov 2022): cheapest 5W30 conventional 5L oil ON SALE at Can Tire was $28, so I paid another $8 to get 5W40 synth at $36.

Reactions: wlk
Almost all XW30/40 formulated for the common HTHS>3.5cP European approvals fall on the low side of the 40 weight viscosity range and thus can be used in 30 weight applications with zero reservations. Not to imply that a thicker, 40 weight like some of the boutique options would cause damage to your engine though, regardless of mileage.

Canadian oil prices are currently obscene (Nov 2022): cheapest 5W30 conventional 5L oil ON SALE at Can Tire was $28, so I paid another $8 to get 5W40 synth at $36.

I do much of my oil shopping at Can. Tire as well, and have found that the only way to get a good deal in recent years is to stock up on Pennzoil when the mail in rebate is active. I think M1 0W40 went from $29.99 to $32.99 and Pennzoil Euro from $31.99 to $36.99 in less than a year 😞

I do much of my oil shopping at Can. Tire as well, and have found that the only way to get a good deal in recent years is to stock up on Pennzoil when the mail in rebate is active. I think M1 0W40 went from $29.99 to $32.99 and Pennzoil Euro from $31.99 to $36.99 in less than a year 😞
I also used to do much of my oil shopping at CT, until my bank stopped sending me free gift cards for them.
Now they have a deal with HomeHardware, and they seem to only stock Castrol products.
Guess I'll be forced to switch to Castrol once my PP stash runs out 😒

Reactions: NJC
I also used to do much of my oil shopping at CT, until my bank stopped sending me free gift cards for them.
Now they have a deal with HomeHardware, and they seem to only stock Castrol products.
Guess I'll be forced to switch to Castrol once my PP stash runs out 😒

CT oil prices have been obscene lately - I only shop there for convenience.

Thanks for everyone's feedback, we went ahead and used the 5W40 - I'm sure all will be fine and the motor will last another 100K. :)

BTW, both Mazda's 2.3L and 2.0L engines are surprisingly solid. The weak points of the Mazda 3 are more associated with poor suspension components, and miserably expensive TCM's in the auto's (2006 to 2009).

That has been my experience with my Mazda 6 2,3L too, reliable engine, but the FRN5 trans is just...bad (it's possible I'm too picky with that antique).
Apart from basic maintenance I just replaced the water pump and thermostat, but that was more a "just because" as nothing was leaking.

Reactions: NJC
your worried about one liter in 8000 kilometers .

If someone isn't checking the oil at least a few times in that span there is a problem

Back