Mazda 2.5L skyactiv engine oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys! what brand of 0w20 should i put into my mom's 2014 mazda 3 sport with 2.5L skyactiv engine.. Last fill was Castrol 0w20 with mobil 1 m108 filter.. next fill i'm thinking of trying PPPP 0w20 with mobil 1 m108 filter.. Other choices would be Mobil 1 afe 0w20 , mobil 1 ep 0w20 or castrol 0w20 or even maybe TGMO 0w20? I don't think we have MGMO 0w20 with moly here in Canada though...

Gonna be running the oil for around 8k km..

Thanks!

at 8k km? what is that about ~5000 miles.

at that mileage run any brand API certified cheapest conventional motor oil, would be a waste to change any of the synthetics you listed above and would be almost no additional benefit

Get M1 AFE cheap at CT.

You don't even need to measure it because it is exactly what the engine requires (given you are changing the filter as well).

Mazda 3 owner

Originally Posted By: 01_celica_gt

at that mileage run any brand API certified cheapest conventional motor oil, would be a waste to change any of the synthetics you listed above and would be almost no additional benefit

Winters are cold up here
frown.gif

Originally Posted By: Stewie

Winters are cold up here
frown.gif

I forgot to read that is spec's 0w20, if that's the case then ANY 0w20 certified motor oil will do, and lowest cost is the most logical at those intervals.

how cold? and which 0w20 doesn't meet the cold spec up north?

I've run M1 AFE, SynPower, Citgo, and Havoline in my mom's CX-5 with the 2.5l. Never noticed a difference between any of them. You really can't go wrong with any of the 0w20 options that are readily available.

At those short OCIs, just use a FRAM Tough Guard with Quaker State Ultimate Durability 0W-20. Reasonably priced & will do the job great.

Winters are cold up here
frown.gif

Not sure Richmond BC gets that cold... but since under warranty stick to 0w20 per specs..I believe any oil will do fine for that interval.

Loving castol magnetic SS in our 2.5L DOHC motor over anything ive run - stellar clean quiet and smooth running! - and Im far from a BP/castrol fanboy though the older edge gold bottle was a tough oil. Have run M1, VSP and QSUD and Idemitsu. This blows em all away!

Originally Posted By: Branson304
At those short OCIs, just use a FRAM Tough Guard with Quaker State Ultimate Durability 0W-20. Reasonably priced & will do the job great.

+1.....totally agree.

The short OCI you intend to use, IMO, is just overkill and just a waste of $$$. If you insist on a synthetic, you may as well go with a a syn more reasonably priced. That engine will not know the difference.

I've recently began using QSUD 0w20 (bought with a rebate), and am completely satisfied with its performance. My intended OCI is approximately 7,500 miles +/-, but I'm sure it could go further..

Skyactivs (or all DI engines) are not easy on oil.

My friend has a 2012 Mazda 3 2.0 Skyactiv and I changed his oil two weeks ago. There was a sludge on the oil drain pan because he used to go to cheapolube for oil changes, they probably used mineral oil and he didn't follow recommended OCI (probably somewhere between 6-10k miles).

I'd suggest you to use fully syn oil and do not extend the OCI.

Originally Posted By: dgunay
Skyactivs are not easy on oil.

My friend has a 2012 Mazda 3 2.0 Skyactiv and I changed his oil two weeks ago. There was a sludge on the oil drain pan because he used to go to cheapolube for oil changes, they probably used mineral oil and he didn't follow recommended OCI.

No matter what oil is used, if you don't follow the recommended OCI (and i'm assuming you mean extending it past mfr recommendation), you're asking for trouble.

Originally Posted By: wemay
Originally Posted By: dgunay
Skyactivs are not easy on oil.

My friend has a 2012 Mazda 3 2.0 Skyactiv and I changed his oil two weeks ago. There was a sludge on the oil drain pan because he used to go to cheapolube for oil changes, they probably used mineral oil and he didn't follow recommended OCI.

No matter what oil is used, if you don't follow the recommended OCI (and i'm assuming you mean extending it past mfr recommendation), you're asking for trouble.

Agreed. But you can extend the OCI (mfr recommended OCI) if you use synthetic and the MM is based on mineral/blend oil. Either way, I wouldn't extend the OCI if it's a direct injection engine.

Car is still under warranty and if im not mistaken mazda recommends 8k intervals.. i would like to keep it that way just to be on the safe side.. Also.. my mom's mazda 3 sees a lot of city driving so a lot of short distance.. I'm not even sure if she warms up the engine before driving off... i just told her and my dad that it might be a good idea to warm up the engine for a couple of minutes before driving especially if its really cold...

Skyactiv engine are actually a bit noisy/loud when idling... that's normal right?

i think id keep it within 8k km interval for now...Don't think i would want to extend it that long.. Just trying to be on the safe side

If any 0w20 would do then i might just give PPPP 0w20 a shot since its on rollback at Walmart Bellingham... i think its like $22.64 USD for a 5qt bottle and cheaper than castrol 0w20 and mobil 1 0w20

mobil 1 m108 filter or oem mazda filter?

Originally Posted By: mauric3
Car is still under warranty and if im not mistaken mazda recommends 8k intervals.. i would like to keep it that way just to be on the safe side.. Also.. my mom's mazda 3 sees a lot of city driving so a lot of short distance.. I'm not even sure if she warms up the engine before driving off... i just told her and my dad that it might be a good idea to warm up the engine for a couple of minutes before driving especially if its really cold...

Skyactiv engine are actually a bit noisy/loud when idling... that's normal right?

i think id keep it within 8k km interval for now...Don't think i would want to extend it that long.. Just trying to be on the safe side

If any 0w20 would do then i might just give PPPP 0w20 a shot since its on rollback at Walmart Bellingham... i think its like $22.64 USD for a 5qt bottle and cheaper than castrol 0w20 and mobil 1 0w20

They disabled the OCI warning for my car for some reason, so keep an eye for your mom
laugh.gif

They can't give me B$ if I do extended OCI.

As for filters anyone will do, I would suggest fram ultra to my fellow canucks as they go for $9 at CT on sale (every 2 months) which is when I stock up

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: mauric3

They disabled the OCI warning for my car for some reason, so keep an eye for your mom
laugh.gif

They can't give me B$ if I do extended OCI.

As for filters anyone will do, I would suggest fram ultra to my fellow canucks as they go for $9 at CT on sale (every 2 months) which is when I stock up

Actually im not even sure if we ever saw the OCI warning on our mazda 3.. what does it say or show ?

Fram ultra are rated for 16k miles/24k km intervals?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back