Mazda 0w20

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys! went to my local mazda dealership and inquired about the mazda 0w20 oil.. i noticed that the one they are carrying here in BC Canada just say Mazda 0w20 oil in 1 liter bottle.. Is this the same mazda 0w20 with moly? My local dealership sells it for like $6.30 CAD for 1 liter bottle...

My mazda 3 2.5L skyactiv is almost up for an oil change.. So what would be a good choice? Mazda 0w20, mazda 0w20 with moly or TGMO 0w20 or OTC 0w20 in walmart?

Thanks!

Being that your car is direct injected, I'd use Castrol 0W20. Why? Castrol synthetics has scored top notch in the TOEST procedure. Using TGMO for it's ubber high VI.. or Mazda oil because of it's sky high moly content is nonsense unless your a hypermiler. The oil that scores better in the TOEST test could make a differnce with cleaner intake valves long down the road.

Originally Posted By: skyactiv
Being that your car is direct injected, I'd use Castrol 0W20. Why? Castrol synthetics has scored top notch in the TOEST procedure. Using TGMO for it's ubber high VI.. or Mazda oil because of it's sky high moly content is nonsense unless your a hypermiler. The oil that scores better in the TOEST test could make a differnce with cleaner intake valves long down the road.

That is only true for the 5w-30 that was tested and have no way of knowing about the 0w-20. The recent PQIA on 0w-20 edge showed a higher than average NOACK value.

We have 4,900 miles on ours and the dealer uses Castrol. Sticking with that. I'd use Mobil 1 EP 0w20 otherwise. The car has broken in nicely. The AT is pretty impressive in this car. Sport/Manual mode especially.

Guess i can try ordering from oilchangekits.com since they have the mazda 0w20 with moly + filter for sale on their website..

I'm not sure what my local dealer is using for their bulk 0w20 though.. i have to double check.

@buster sport mode is indeed awesome! get the full power which is awesome!

The petro can bottle looks similar to the one that mazda sells.. but just different labeling of course...

@Danno So how's the TGMO 0w20 with the skyactiv? Also.. Is the TGMO 0w20 in Canada better or the one in the US is better or they are the same?

Our 3 is almost at 24k km and service would be around $250 after taxes if im not mistaken.. geez so expensive!

Originally Posted By: mauric3
Guess i can try ordering from oilchangekits.com since they have the mazda 0w20 with moly + filter for sale on their website..

And what's that going to cost including shipping, taxes and duty from the US?

@Danno So how's the TGMO 0w20 with the skyactiv? Also.. Is the TGMO 0w20 in Canada better or the one in the US is better or they are the same?

It's the same oil. TGMO is made in the States and imported into Canada in bulk by Imperial Oil, a Mobil subsidiary, where they bottle it and also supply in bulk to Toyota/Lexus dealers.

Originally Posted By: CATERHAM

And what's that going to cost including shipping, taxes and duty from the US?

It's the same oil. TGMO is made in the States and imported into Canada in bulk by Imperial Oil, a Mobil subsidiary, where they bottle it and also supply in bulk to Toyota/Lexus dealers.

Hey Caterham! the mazda 0w20 with moly is not the same as the Canadian Mazda 0w20 that can be found in local dealer?

Thanks for clarifying that the TGMO 0w20 here in BC Canada is indeed the TGMO 0w20 that has the high VI and nice additive package...

So the 5qts of Mazda 0w20 with moly + oem filter is $48.40 USD + $10 ground shipping then its $3 USD to pick it up at parcel store in the US where i ship all my orders from the USA... so its roughly $62 USD then exchange rate .. so im guessing around $70 CAD ..

Would that still be a good deal or should i just get a 5L JUG of TGMO 0w20? I have a friend who works in Toyota and he said he can get me the 5L TGMO 0w20 for like $26 + tax...

Would having more moly be better for the skyactiv engine though?

Looking at ebay right now and saw a seller that sells Mazda 0w20 with moly for like $6.86 USD for 1 quart... Free shipping too within the US... Seems like its better to order from this seller than oilchangekits.com?

My dealer here in Richmond VA is telling me the bulk Castrol Edge OEM 0w-20 at about $3.00 a quart is the exact same old as the Mazda 0w-20 Skyactiv Moly fortified oil that they have been using and selling in quart bottles for just shy of $7.00 a quart. Is it the exact same oil? I have serious doubts. I like the high moly content of the Mazda oil for the design of this motor and I am assuming that Mazda designed this oil for the benefit of the motor and that the dealer is using the Castrol for their purpose which is to make more money and not necessarily for the benefit of the life of my motor.

What's the truth here???

^^^NO!

IF it is actually the Mazda Genuine Motor Oil with moly he is claiming as the same as the Castrol product, he is WRONG!

It is made by Idemitsu, has a MUCH higher viscosity index than that Edge product, as well as much more 'dimer' type moly additive.

My local Mazda dealer refuses to sell this oil from their bulk drums into a customer's gallon container, claiming that it is actually ILLEGAL to do so, as far as MSDS/fire safety hazard regs go!

Originally Posted By: dailydriver
My local Mazda dealer refuses to sell this oil from their bulk drums into a customer's gallon container, claiming that it is actually ILLEGAL to do so, as far as MSDS/fire safety hazard regs go!

Unless your DG regs are grossly harsher than Oz (and I doubt it looking at power infrastructure over there), your dealer is using it as an excuse to get you to service your car there.

Our regs are that anything can be decanted, as long as the receptacle is approved for the application (like an oil jug for oil), and they must give you the MSDS...if they wanted to charge $1 for printing it off that would be fair IMO.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
Originally Posted By: dailydriver

Unless your DG regs are grossly harsher than Oz (and I doubt it looking at power infrastructure over there), your dealer is using it as an excuse to get you to service your car there.

Our regs are that anything can be decanted, as long as the receptacle is approved for the application (like an oil jug for oil), and they must give you the MSDS...if they wanted to charge $1 for printing it off that would be fair IMO.

Yes, this^^^ is what I figured, if those in the Republik of Kali are getting their dealers to fill gallon jugs from their bulk drums.

They DO offer it in individual quarts, and case of 12 quart lots though, so it might just be laziness on the parts/service department's part, or not having a bar code to scan for it in gallon lots.
21.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back