Maybe there will be no "correction" to housing market- U.S. housing market's underproduction crisis getting worse

Office building in downtown Salt Lake City is being currently being constructed. The closed the adjacent streets around the site and poured 400 truck loads of cement in a couple of days recently.

Seems like building houses would be a walk in the park compared to a project like this.
Now stop to think about this: someone is building an office building at a time when large numbers of people have now become used to working from home, and companies are downsizing offices or eliminating them entirely. That "someone" isn't thinking about the big picture.

A job change of the Wife, caused us to sell and move across the state. We cashed out HUGE and headed west to build our dream house. We bought 23 acres and selected our General Contractor.

Well, well..... 13 months later and we are just breaking ground this week.

GC tells me he is inundated with custom home build requests and he is having to tell people that want $1-$3M homes.... he can start on them in 18-24 months... finished in 3.5 years. He is that backed up and finding Subs is getting harder every day for him.

Plainfield, yes, and south Naperville and probably another dozen or so areas which have filled in remarkably over the past 30 or more years. Lots of areas in Kane County too. If I could go back in time I would buy up some land so I could re-sell it to the developers at huge profits.

Naperville/Bolingbrook off of rt126 and I55 is growing again. Same with Plainfield down by County Line Rd. They're finally starting to construct a road from RT126 south to probably RT30 close to I55 - I'll have to ask our project manager who's in charge of the environmental work. My friend/previous roommate just bought a brand new house down the street for ~$330k last year. It finished building last Nov and he can sell it now for $60k more!

They really need to expand some of these roads. Rt30 is horrible with the amount of traffic it gets from smaller vehicles and trucks.

Non-IT folks are leaving Austin, at least in my circles. They are going to San Antonio, and parts south.

Friends $300k house is now $705k in Austin suburbs.

My old $122k house in Round Rock is now $340k.

Those types of numbers combined with a growing interest rate really hurts the first time homebuyer with no equity from a previous house to put into another one.

Non-IT folks are leaving Austin, at least in my circles. They are going to San Antonio, and parts south.

Friends $300k house is now $705k in Austin suburbs.

My old $122k house in Round Rock is now $340k.

Those types of numbers combined with a growing interest rate really hurts the first time homebuyer with no equity from a previous house to put into another one.

We have a similar story.... 7 years ago we purchased in the Colorado Springs area for $425k. Last summer we sold for $875k.

Since we are rebuilding in Recession/Inflation, we will be stung, but at least we paid cash for the property, well and electricity and still have $350k to put into the build before we have to borrow a dime. We are building a Ski House/Barn-dominium and hope to do it debt free.

But you are right.... The rising rates and the economy will eliminate first time home-buyers.

Last edited by a moderator:
Now stop to think about this: someone is building an office building at a time when large numbers of people have now become used to working from home, and companies are downsizing offices or eliminating them entirely. That "someone" isn't thinking about the big picture.

Amazon bought an office building I used to work in, and tore it down to build a data center.

Office building was 6 story built in 1986, right off of 28 in Herndon, VA.

I can't complain here.... We are super busy at work - our biggest clients are several of the big national homebuilders and they are gobbling up farmland, old golf courses, former industrial land, closed shopping centers and even less-prime land (like low-lying areas with poor drainage and marginal soil) and building houses there. I can't even remember a time we were less-busy.
I work for a major flooring company in Colorado doing new homes and it is the same here.
We are struggling to meet install dates.
Materials back ordered and not enough installers,all in all a good problem to have I guess.
I remember the recession years,awful.

That report goes only to 2019. We need more current figures. I'm hearing serious talk in parts of the country of housing demand slacking and sell prices dropping.

Everything I see being built my way is massive $400K+ McMansions. I wonder who really has the scratch to afford one of those. No one is building more economical housing, even though that's what we really need.

The big problem really is speculation in housing, fueled in part by the the 1997 tax code change for capital gains from selling primary dwellings. That's what has made everything unaffordable. I believe a house should be a place to live, not a means to make quick big bucks.
That 400k McMansion would be a starter home here if you could fine one. Probably why people are selling their homes here for 500-1 million and moving to cheaper areas. Had a few people sell their 500+ condos here and move to cheaper states like Texas and Florida but they're not a cheap as they used to be, but still cheaper than here and also get 2-3x the space they had here.

It's actually a "mixed use" project.

I was wondering about that number too. Assuming 9 yards per load, 400 loads would be 3600 cubic yards of concrete. That's an awful lot for an office building.... Maybe it went to a bunch of different projects all in the same downtown area? 3600 yards is more like an airport runway-sized or giant bridge-sized pour. Maybe it was some sort of huge mat foundation that took up an entire block? In other words, it's not the norm.
Same site. It was one of the biggest pour Utah has ever seen.
quote-
According to a release sent to ABC4, “The project took an innovative collaboration between Big-D’s general contracting team and concrete pouring team, to ensure a safe and successful 8,155 yard continuous pour. From planning to completion, this project took roughly 20 hours of planning, 1600 hours of labor, between 70 and 80 Big-D workers on site, and 815 truck pours.”

Everything I see being built my way is massive $400K+ McMansions. I wonder who really has the scratch to afford one of those. No one is building more economical housing, even though that's what we really need.
McMansion sells for more profit per cost of land and construction, the customers they are selling to (upper middle class) has the money to spend. There is no money building affordable housing then having customers bargain you to death calling you a greedy capitalist.

Just like lower middle people would rather buy used pickups and SUVs instead of new econobox for the same money, these McMansion get trickle down as they age and the neighborhood ages, and the school rating goes with them.

McMansion sells for more profit per cost of land and construction, the customers they are selling to (upper middle class) has the money to spend. There is no money building affordable housing then having customers bargain you to death calling you a greedy capitalist.

Just like lower middle people would rather buy used pickups and SUVs instead of new econobox for the same money, these McMansion get trickle down as they age and the neighborhood ages, and the school rating goes with them.
The starter homes are the older ones. If all you do is build McMansions, it's still fine because there's also older homes out there that people have moved out of into the McMansions and those end up being starter homes. If you don't build any housing, then there's basically no where else to move. McMansions aren't a function of trickle down like cars. Some neighborhoods get better and stay better, we have several high schools being built that are in the 100-200 million range and those will be around for decades if not a century. Those towns have been desirable for decades and there's not that much change in the school rankings so the towns/cities are still popular. People also update their properties as time goes on, kitchen and bathroom renovations after 10-20 years are common. Usually what happens is that once people hit their 60-70s, they stop updating the place so you do see some old houses that haven't been updated in 30-40 years.

A job change of the Wife, caused us to sell and move across the state. We cashed out HUGE and headed west to build our dream house. We bought 23 acres and selected our General Contractor.

Well, well..... 13 months later and we are just breaking ground this week.

GC tells me he is inundated with custom home build requests and he is having to tell people that want $1-$3M homes.... he can start on them in 18-24 months... finished in 3.5 years. He is that backed up and finding Subs is getting harder every day for him.

That is not necessarily true in CA. I've been trying to build a custom home since the beginning of covid, in SoCal. The state is quite intentionally making it tough for single fam. homes, with incentives for big projects that involve high density housing. The restrictions/requirements for single fam. houses is ridiculous.

That is not necessarily true in CA. I've been trying to build a custom home since the beginning of covid, in SoCal. The state is quite intentionally making it tough for single fam. homes, with incentives for big projects that involve high density housing. The restrictions/requirements for single fam. houses is ridiculous.
Yes incentives for those big projects that involve high density housing. However, in some locations the incentives require a certain amount of units to be affordable to lower income folks. It is a difficult balancing act to build that type of housing and to make it profitable.

It depends on the neighborhood. Just about any 40-60 year old neighborhood in Manassas, Virginia (suburb of DC) has been on a steady decline for decades.

Go look at a 40-60 year old neighborhood in the western suburbs of Chicago (ie, Glen Ellyn, Wheaton, Elmhurst) and many neighborhoods look better now than they did 30 years ago. My old neighborhood in Elmhurst, they added street lighting and of the few really crappy houses that existed 30 years ago, all have been torn down and replaced with something better.

One difference may be that there's still lots of undeveloped land around Manassas, so there's always the opportunity to buy into a "better" neighborhood with brand-new houses.

Article confirms those waiting for a "bubble to burst" in many parts of the U.S. will be waiting a long time. There will be some adjustment in prices, but as long as demands exceeds supply we won't see a crash.
And property taxes are based on home value. No way will government allow a big reduction in this income stream. And there's increased sales taxes for higher priced goods, higher income taxes on increased wages, etc. Inflation is the number one magic fix for government budget mismanagement. High housing prices are here to stay unless we have an actual depression with 30% unemployment and food lines, and I don't think anyone wants that.

If people really want to change things, buy what you really need, not what you want at the moment. With respect to housing, why is the usual housing path one of moving up into larger, more expensive homes, incurring more and more debt and higher and higher taxes?

With 70% of our economy based on consumer spending, the consumer holds the keys to the kingdom. They just don't realize it.

Scott

Last edited:
Back