May The New War Begin

Status
Not open for further replies.
+1
That's why you buy a bed liner.........

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Scary thread title; I'm glad it's about pickup trucks.

They forgot to test the most common cargo carried by pickup trucks today. A couple of bags of groceries. A bag of kitty liter. Or an 18 pack of beer.

Will the aluminum do better in the rust belt? Or down at the dock?

The comparison should continue....

Desperate, but fun. They are going to be bancrupt again anyway.
Government interventions are powerful, but always last for only so long

cause work trucks dont have liners. Also, I get what they're showing, but thats just abuse not use.

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
They forgot to test the most common cargo carried by pickup trucks today. A couple of bags of groceries. A bag of kitty liter. Or an 18 pack of beer.

Will the aluminum do better in the rust belt? Or down at the dock?

The comparison should continue....

A friend of mine had a Honda ridgeline truck. The "trunk" built into the truck bed could fit a full size keg which kept it shaded. I think some ice fit around it too. now thats utility.

The thing that gets me as I'm sure I heard G.M. will be transitioning to an aluminum truck just as Ford has in the not to distant future. Can't imagine them doing that and putting a bullet through their own foot.

Last edited:
Haw! I live in sunny Florida where people come all the time from the Rust Belt to buy our trucks.

I would love an all aluminum truck if it was built properly and performed on par with the current fleet trucks we buy.

And in the end this is all that really matters to both companies.

Through the end of May, F-Series sales were up over seven percent to 324,307, while the Silverado's dropped nearly 13 percent to 223,990 compared to last year

Originally Posted By: Bandito440
I'd like an F-150 with an aluminum body and frame so I wouldn't have to worry about rust.

+1 My Dad's '03 F150 body looks great still, the frame though looks like its been at sea for 13 years...
Have any of them even bothered to galvanize a frame yet? Or put some decent paint on them atleast? Why would they? in 8-10 years it has to look rough so the guy who has to have a truck will finance another $40-50k...
Current 1/2 ton design and marketing reminds me of the idiocracy movie, and most of the commercials seem to be designed for the 10-14 year old boy bracket with the pointless comparisons... Has anyone dumped large jagged rocks into a 1/2 ton pickup bed with a loader? The 4 guys that actually have, were smart enough to put down a sheet of plywood first...

My father's 2001 F350 is about ready to break in half. 60K miles. I'm pretty sure if we were to put anything in the box it would fall off.

Being in a near desert area in California and starting the 5th year of drought, it always catches me off guard to hear about cars rusting. Bare metal will hardly get a film let alone rust through here. I guess the houses are overpriced because we don't have to buy new cars!

The company I work at now has Chevies and Ford 1/2 ton 4 wheel drive trucks. They run them forever. We don't haul much but they get beat up, idle all day, rough terrain, Dusty and mud. The Chevies are falling apart. Lights stop workings, trim falling off. Not holding up at all. The Ford F150s just keep going. They impress me. I was a Dodge guy. My next truck will probably be a Ford. a 2010/11/12. That said, the last company gave me a brand new 2015 aluminum cab Ford f150. It was terrible. The weight savings is all on the back. It's like driving down the highway on the head of a arrow. No traction whatsoever. You could push on it anywhere and it made awful sounds and the paint was horrible. They come with a factory rhino like bed liner. I threw steel wheelbarrows in that thing. Concrete cylinders, cement blocks etc..it scratched it, it didn't dent it. That commercial is staged. Iam not praising the aluminum Ford, I actually hated it. But I did worse to my bed than they did and no dents. That commercial is bogus.

Last edited:
I am pretty sure the frames are steel.

Also, we saw that video of the aluminum F150 getting beaten to death by a sledge hammer. It didn't tear as shown in the video.

Seeing all the "...but aluminum doesn't rust!" posts makes me chuckle. Aluminum still corrodes. Ask the Mustang owners who were part of a class action lawsuit against Ford to show you their corroding aluminum hoods. Keep an eye out for mid to late-2000s era Expeditions and their corroding aluminum tailgates.

It'll look something like this:
picture_php_pictureid_64191_6d4593ca2f9ea9ec8ab64da26dba42056153cdb1.jpg

or this:
ad58b502-cff3-1033-b743-4c3114d2dee3r.jpg

Aluminum body panels aren't the saviour drivers in the rust belt think they are.

Originally Posted By: MrHorspwer
Seeing all the "...but aluminum doesn't rust!" posts makes me chuckle. Aluminum still corrodes. Ask the Mustang owners who were part of a class action lawsuit against Ford to show you their corroding aluminum hoods. Keep an eye out for mid to late-2000s era Expeditions and their corroding aluminum tailgates.

It'll look something like this:
picture_php_pictureid_64191_6d4593ca2f9ea9ec8ab64da26dba42056153cdb1.jpg

or this:
ad58b502-cff3-1033-b743-4c3114d2dee3r.jpg

Aluminum body panels aren't the saviour drivers in the rust belt think they are.

Exactly! Total ignorance if one thinks that in most auto environments, aluminum is any more corrosion resistant than steel.

In the last test lab I managed, we had a salt fog corrosion chamber. The standard cycle was a 5% brine solution. Salt will eat away aluminum just as well as it does steel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back