May go to Amsoil SS 5W30 from Mobil 1 5W30...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: kschachn
An entire thread dominated by subjective feelings as to oil suitability.

Seriously, do what you want. You are going to anyway, and it makes you feel better. There isn't much else to say, is there?

This is true. Anyone who has been around these forums for any amount of time should know that pretty much all "Brand Name" oils these days are of good to high quality. Where A is better than B or whatever is all subjective.

One thing that really should be safe to say is that his engine will function well on any of the big synthetic oils out there. No problem with running the Amsoil, Mobil 1, or anything else he wants as long as it is designed for his use.

Originally Posted By: GM4LIFE
Man, now I don't know what to do! Maybe just stick with Mobil 1 and change it more often.

Engine I have is not direct injection. Supercharged 6.2L V8.

Just use your new Amsoil with confidence and enjoy it. Change the oil at the recommended GM intervals and sleep well at night. If you want some more piece of mind, send in a UOA sample at your half way point, and another at your recommended change mileage.

I'm pretty confident that your oil will come back with good results, no areas of concern, and all will be well.

Thank you for all your feedback. I so appreciate it! I am leaning towards sticking to Mobil 1 and changing the oil at around 4K miles just to be on the safe side. Latest 5K miles.

UOA at 10k, like you said. Since the Amsoil is in there already, IMO take a sample and leave it in awhile longer based on the results.

Then as mentioned, repeat with M1, taking a sample at the same distance and see where that leaves you.

Lastly, I thought there was a thread on here indicating that the Caddy engines take a bit longer for the rings to seat. If that's the case it might explain the black coloring coming on so quick.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Johnny248
Originally Posted By: OVERKILL

and the Amsoil SS series outperformed Mobil 1 EP at every test.

I'm a fan of Amsoil lubricants but what tests? M1 EP is formally certified for a number of manufacturer approvals that require extensive testing using approved and sanctioned procedures for measuring actual lubricant performance. This particular AMSOIL product has none of those.

The 4-ball wear test is a procedure designed and utilized in the industry for EP oils (gear oils for example) and is not an engine oil test.

We all know about the 4-ball wear test. That being said, if you were choosing between two oils that both have similarly specs and quality, yet one had a 4-ball result of .35 and the other of 1.2 , wouldn't you prefer to have the .35???

just saying...

No. According to Porsche, any oil on their approval list will perform identically to any other oil on their approval list. Why would I care how that particular lubricant does in a gear oil test?

Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
Amsoil SS is not API approved; a consideration if you are under warranty. That being said I ran 0W-20 SS while under warranty in my B2300.

From what I read, Amsoil is API certified but not Dexos 1 approved. I doubt I will have any issues with a better oil like Amsoil.

The SS oils are not API certified, the OE and XL oils are.

And lets also note that just because they do not have the API certification on the bottle, doesn't mean that they were submitted and FAILED either. Look at all of the API oils out there that don't meet spec...

No, it is because they have levels of AW and other additives higher than the allowable limits, which may be beneficial in some general applications (but also may not) and of course ARE beneficial for extended drain use, which is what this excellent product is designed for.

I used AZO in my Expedition but stopped because it consumed more (even after multiple OCI's) by 3x the amount over M1 AFE 0w-30, which I've gone back to. I'm sure it provided EXCELLENT protection, but at the cost of it and the AFE (which are similar in price) using zero make-up oil or using 3 quarts of make up oil, the choice was rather easy.

I still use it in my Honda 9.9 outboard though, which it does not consume in at all
21.gif

Originally Posted By: kschachn
An entire thread dominated by subjective feelings as to oil suitability.

Seriously, do what you want. You are going to anyway, and it makes you feel better. There isn't much else to say, is there?

Exactly!

Mobil 1 tends to get dark rather quickly, as discussed here before. However, I used to run Mobil 1 5w-30 7,500k miles in a turbo 2.0L and never had any failed parts. It was my friends and he drove it crazy.

Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
Amsoil SS is not API approved; a consideration if you are under warranty. That being said I ran 0W-20 SS while under warranty in my B2300.

In my years in different service departments, I've NEVER had an engine warranty claim denied by oil type used. In fact, I've never had the factory even ask what kind of oil is used. As long as there are documented oil and filter changes (date, vin #, mileage, on an invoice. DIY oil changes do not hold water for required proof of maintenance since there is is not an actual invoice to verify those requirements)

If you do have any engine related problems, your lack of API starburst does not matter. If it is under warranty still (as it is) I would be sure to either have the dealer or service provider complete the oil changes with your provided oil and/or filter to avoid any issues with records just in case anything happens.

And back to the original idea... You can't go wrong with SS oil. It is not cheap, but it is definitely a high quality product.

Have to concur with this. I have owned and operated several commercial heavy trucks with engines, alone, that cost more than most people's autos. Any time I have done anything related to warranty claim on any of those engines, I have never been asked what oil, when it was changed, etc. Never in over 40 years. Same for my pickups and autos. I have never been asked by a dealership what oil, when I change it, invoices, etc. Never since my first vehicle in the early 70's. I suppose a dealership here or there could try and play those games, but it seems more like owner hysteria. I realize that most folks have a brain cramp over the idea of replacing an engine at their own cost, but it rarely happens under warranty. Only if there was real clear evidence of abuse.

I add a proviso to this... one time, and one time only, on one of my commercial engines, they wanted to see oil sample results as a indication of the problem developing, and that was in regard to a camshaft on a Cummins ISX 15L engine. There was a spike in chromium and such. But that is the only time I ever recall being asked for anything related to an engine oil.

A lot of folks with Silverado pickups like mine get off on this "you can only use a dexos1 approved oil or you will void the warranty" kick. Can't speak to every model year, but my 2013, right in the driver's manual says...."dexos1 or equivalent" The "equivalent" things settles it for me. If I just use a quality oil, dexos1 approved or NOT, then I am fine.

Safe against what? Dark colored oil?

Thank you for all your feedback. I so appreciate it! I am leaning towards sticking to Mobil 1 and changing the oil at around 4K miles just to be on the safe side. Latest 5K miles.

and the Amsoil SS series outperformed Mobil 1 EP at every test.

I'm a fan of Amsoil lubricants but what tests? M1 EP is formally certified for a number of manufacturer approvals that require extensive testing using approved and sanctioned procedures for measuring actual lubricant performance. This particular AMSOIL product has none of those.

The 4-ball wear test is a procedure designed and utilized in the industry for EP oils (gear oils for example) and is not an engine oil test.

Amsoil published a number of independent tests in their study of 5W30 oils and signature series outperformed Mobil 1 EP on every test.

Independent tests that were actually legitimate engine tests applicable to performance in real world applications or marketing fluff? The 4-ball wear test is an example of marketing fluff as it demonstrates performance in an area that is not at all relevant to the conditions encountered inside an engine.

Overk1ll,
You said it. The 4 ball test is not designed for engine oils. In fact engine oils that perform very well in these test have additives in them that that can cause problems internally in an engine. These test are for gear oils and such, not engines. Here is a link from M1 that explains this.

http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/MotorOil/Car_Care/AskMobil/Oil_Film_Strength.aspx

This same question was ask regarding Amsoil.

http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/MotorOil/Car_Care/AskMobil/Amsoil_Wear_Scar_Testing.aspx

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: splinter
Any improvement with its oil consumption thus far?

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...l,_#Post3461432

The engine has been consuming less oil than before, but still consumes some oil depending on how I drive it. I have gone through 3.5 total quarts in 5,300 miles so far with a majority of the consumption occurring early on. I asked dealer to document it and they did and they said that for this car with the manual transmission, that is within spec. They won't do anything unless it gets worse.

Originally Posted By: silvercivicsi
Holy [censored] 3.5 quarts in 5300 miles? That seems excessive to me. Neither one of my cars consume that much oil with 7500 miles OCI's.

What cars do you own? I drive the pis out of my car and that's most likely the cause for the consumption. That combined with the car being new is why it's acceptable to GM. If the car consumed a quart or more every 1,000 miles, then that's a problem.

AMSoil SS 5w30 is a good oil, you shouldn't have any problems using it. See if it helps on the oil consumption. Start doing UOA's with TBN readings to gauge when the oil is done. Change of color is not a good indicator.

+1
Any SN rated PCMO will go 7500 to 10000 miles or one year which ever comes first.
Color means nothing unless you have a blown head gasket. Remember ARCO Graphite PCMO?

Yep. I used ARCO Graphite for a couple of years in the early 80's. That's the blackest oil I have ever seen on a dipstick.

Originally Posted By: silvercivicsi
Holy [censored] 3.5 quarts in 5300 miles? That seems excessive to me. Neither one of my cars consume that much oil with 7500 miles OCI's.

What cars do you own? I drive the pis out of my car and that's most likely the cause for the consumption. That combined with the car being new is why it's acceptable to GM. If the car consumed a quart or more every 1,000 miles, then that's a problem.

I daily a 2004 honda civic and my weekend car is a 94 toyota pickup. The civic only uses up a little more than a quart in ~10,000 miles and the toyota used about the same in ~7000 miles. The truck is driven pretty hard though, the only time I'm not flooring it is when I'm in the dirt.

Thanks guys! This forum re-enforces my decisions!! I know I can't go wrong with Amsoil signature series for the best peace of mind.

If you can't handle 10,000 on M1, SS might not be the best choice. Fortunately, Amsoil has a pretty broad product line and you do have other choices down the road, should you decide that SS might be overkill for your application and maintenance schedule.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back