MAXLIFE ATF

Whenever anyone says that something in the real world is the "only variable", I know they don't know what they're talking about. That is never true.

Somehow I think there is something else going on here and it may not be mechanical.
Back in the day, we used to separate Dexron type fluids from "Highly Friction Modified" fluids such as Honda ATF-Z1/DW-1, Toyota T-IV, etc.
Maxlife is marketed as a multi-vehicle fluid instead of a Dexron only fluid. Is it possible that the OP's unit is very sensitive to friction modifiers and was adversely affected by Maxlife?

Back in the day, we used to separate Dexron type fluids from "Highly Friction Modified" fluids such as Honda ATF-Z1/DW-1, Toyota T-IV, etc.
Maxlife is marketed as a multi-vehicle fluid instead of a Dexron only fluid. Is it possible that the OP's unit is very sensitive to friction modifiers and was adversely affected by Maxlife?
But he said the problem went away when he replaced the Maxlife with some Dexron III.

But he said the problem went away when he replaced the Maxlife with some Dexron III.
That is what I implied. Once the Maxlife was drained out and the unit was refilled with a Dexron only fluid, the issue went away. To me, this suggests that the friction modifiers in Maxlife may have been responsible for the issue.

That is what I implied. Once the Maxlife was drained out and the unit was refilled with a Dexron only fluid, the issue went away. To me, this suggests that the friction modifiers in Maxlife may have been responsible for the issue.

Unless the pump is severely worn, such there is too much pump leakage, and the internal pressures were just on the edge, I don't see why it presented this alleged problem.

The Mu(v) Friction curves for MaxLife ATF and any of the Dexron series are very, very close.

There is something else going on here!

Unless the pump is severely worn, such there is too much pump leakage, and the internal pressures were just on the edge, I don't see why it presented this alleged problem.

The Mu(v) Friction curves for MaxLife ATF and any of the Dexron series are very, very close.

There is something else going on here!
Can you please post the friction curve comparison. That would be interesting.

This was earlier in the spring when I do all my regular fluid changes, I have since put 60 hours on that transmission with the fresh DEXIII over the summer pulling skiers and wake boarders. No issues ran just like it has since new.

It slipped under load with Maxlife.

When I first got the unit I remember the first change it had a clear liquid in (No idea what fluid came from the factory). I just stuck with DEX and it has served me fine ever since going on 800 hours.

Nevertheless for S&Gs I will throw MAXLIFE in it again in the spring just to prove it to myself. It takes less than a quart and a few minutes to change so no biggie. I may even record a video of a before and after.

Did this transmission have relatively fresh DIII before the change?

Maxlife will undoubtedly retain its viscosity better than low end DIII marketed products. Highly doubt it’s viscosity related.

Maxlife will undoubtedly retain its viscosity better than low end DIII marketed products. Highly doubt it’s viscosity related.
I change the fluid every spring so it was the prior seasons fluid 40-60 hours depending on year.

Can you please post the friction curve comparison. That would be interesting.

This was earlier in the spring when I do all my regular fluid changes, I have since put 60 hours on that transmission with the fresh DEXIII over the summer pulling skiers and wake boarders. No issues ran just like it has since new.

It slipped under load with Maxlife...

I could but the Dex series curves and MaxLife curves lie on top of each other so in my view, it is NOT a matter of friction coefficients.

What Dexron III fluid did you use?

I suspect one or more things happened:
1. You have a pump that is worn such that a slightly lower viscosity fluid dropped pressure and you did not have enough pressure in the system to engage the clutch packs and keep them from slipping,
2. trash got mixed with the fluid and interfered with the system pressure immediately after changing,
3. water got mixed with the fluid and interfered with the system pressure immediately after changing,
4. after the change back to Dexron III, all of the contaminants got flushed from the system.

It would have been interesting to see the internal fluid pressures with both fluids.

Without any fluid analysis of the old Dexron III fluid and a check of internal system pressures, one CANNOT pin this problem on MaxLife ATF.

Last edited:
I am generally a fan of Maxlife ATF, and use in in Aisin transmissions and Honda transmissions with great results.

I decided to take it one step further, and this summer I tried in on a velvet drive marine transmission that calls for DEXIII. The transmission immediately started slipping,
engaging and disengaging. I immediately drained the maxlife fluid and relaced with an old bottle of DEXIII I had laying around and trans works flawlessly.

Why would Maxlife ATF cause this slippage? Viscosity? The bottle states use where DEXIII is called for.

I was going to replaced my PS fluid in my toyota with maxlife as it calls for DEXIII, but now am concerned.
New Maxlife is MUCH thinner than old dex3.

New Maxlife is MUCH thinner than old dex3.

No it isn't.

The difference is about 1.25 cSt. between Dex III and Dex VI. Machinery doesn't have feelings in that it can detect viscosity, temperature and pressure.

Original formula Dex III starts out about 7.3 cSt@100C and shears down to 4.5 cSt before 45,000 miles of operation.

Dexron VI starts out between 5.9 to 6.2 cST@100C and at 45,000 miles of operation the viscosity is around 5.5 cSt@100C.

Don't be fooled by the initial viscosity of Dexron VI and other LV ATF's.

OK, I found the ATF document I had created earlier:

MolaKule said:
Here are some facts and specifications about these Dexron fluids:

Dex III/Mercon type fluids: Max cSt 7.5; shears down to 4.2 cSt under standard tests;

GM Dexron VI: Starting viscosity cannot be > than 6.4 cSt; cannot shear down to less than 5.5 cST under standard tests;

Mobil 1 Dexron VI: Starting viscosity - 5.83 cSt, cannot shear down to less than 5.5 cST under standard tests;

MaxLife ATF: Starting viscosity - 5.91 cSt, cannot shear down to less than 5.5 cST under standard tests;

Redline D6 ATF: Starting viscosity - 6.4 cSt, cannot shear down to less than 6.1 cST under standard tests.

Shear testing is done using four tests; the Fuel Injector Shear Stability test, the Sonic shear test, the DEXRON®-III Cycling test and the KRL test.

The KRL tests have been shown to provide the better accelerated shear tests, in which all of the above fluids have been subjected.

One other specification that is important is the Brookfield viscosity at -40C for the Dexron VI has to be at least 5000 units lower than the Dexron III(H) or Dex/Merc.

This means the Dexron VI has better cold temperature operation than does the Dexron III(H) or Dex/Merc.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Let's look at some of the Dexron III(H) and Dexron VI stats. Dexron III(H) is 1.4 cSt higher at 100C than Dexron VI but:

Starting Viscosities@100C:Dexron III(H) 7.3 cSt, Dexron VI - 5.9 cSt

Shear Stability (~ 10k miles): Dexron III(H) - 4.5 cSt, Dexron VI - 5.8 cSt

Shear Stability .(>=35k): Dexron III(H) - 4.3 cSt, Dexron VI - 5.5 cSt

Dexron III(H) has dropped over 2.8 cSt while Dexron VI has remained stable with only a 0.4 cSt drop. Dexron VI is superior in terms of viscosity stability.

Friction Modification Stability: In Dyno tests, Dynamic friction coefficient change: Dexron III(H) -~ 3%, Dexron VI - ~ 0.05%. Dexron VI is superior in terms of Dynamic friction coefficient stability.

Dexron III(H) uses older Anti-Oxidant and Metal Inhibitor chemistry. Dexron VI uses modern Anti-Oxidant and Metal Inhibitor chemistry.

Dexron III(H) uses older Anti-Wear chemistry. Dexron VI uses modern Anti-Wear chemistry.

Last edited:

Maxlife will undoubtedly retain its viscosity better than low end DIII marketed
I could but the Dex series curves and MaxLife curves lie on top of each other so in my view, it is NOT a matter of friction coefficients.

What Dexron III fluid did you use?

I suspect one or more things happened:
1. You have a pump that is worn such that a slightly lower viscosity fluid dropped pressure and you did not have enough pressure in the system to engage the clutch packs,
2. trash got mixed with the fluid and interfered with the system pressure immediately after changing,
3. water got mixed with the fluid and interfered with the system pressure immediately after changing,
4. after the change back to Dexron III, all of the contaminants got flushed from the system.

It would have been interesting to see the internal fluid pressures with both fluids.

Without any fluid analysis of the old Dexron III fluid and a check of internal system pressures, one CANNOT pin this problem on MaxLife ATF.

Thanks Mola!

I use Castrol DEXIII for the velvet drive had a stash of it.

Good points on the trash or moisture possibly interfering.

I will be curious to test Maxlife in the spring again.

I am also ready to try Maxlife on the MDX with 9 speed. I really don’t have a problem with the honda 3.x fluid actually looks pretty good when I D&F but want to standardize fluid when possible.

A spill and fill generally replaces less than 1/2 the transmission's fluid.
The next service would replace far less of the Maxlife, right?

I could see it the percentage of fluid replaced was high.
And if Maxlife caused such adverse results, we would hear it all the time.
Real world results suggest the opposite.

Just my 2 cents. Probably all it's worth... Ha!

I am generally a fan of Maxlife ATF, and use in in Aisin transmissions and Honda transmissions with great results.

I decided to take it one step further, and this summer I tried in on a velvet drive marine transmission that calls for DEXIII. The transmission immediately started slipping,
engaging and disengaging. I immediately drained the maxlife fluid and relaced with an old bottle of DEXIII I had laying around and trans works flawlessly.

Why would Maxlife ATF cause this slippage? Viscosity? The bottle states use where DEXIII is called for.

I was going to replaced my PS fluid in my toyota with maxlife as it calls for DEXIII, but now am concerned.
Been running ML in my Tacoma's power steering for 3 years. Zero issues

I just don't trust Maxlife ATF in older transmissions and I don't want to be the one it craps out on. OEM is fine, as long as you do it.

Back