Maxlife atf ok 98 lesabre?flush or no?

Maxlife atf?flush?

• Don't know

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Not sure

Votes: 3 100.0%

• Total voters
That smugness applies perfectly to your post.
Or maybe you got an Internet Certificate of "Knows All".
No, but if GM wants to write me a certificate for owning their junk transmission, I'll take it. Unlike you, I actually have experience in driving and maintaining the 4T65E.

If you want to have issues with that transmission, use Low Viscosity fluid (like MaxLife), because some dude on Internet said "it will work".
Use Castrol TRANSMAX™ HIGH MILEAGE or TRANSMAX™ IMPORT MULTI-VEHICLE.
Don't use what "some dude said on the internet will work", instead use "another dude's opinion".

Unlike you, I actually have experience in driving and maintaining the 4T65E.
My wife has plenty of experience driving her Kia. Still that didn't make her capable of changing the timing belt, it was till on me, that I don't drive that car.
Don't use what "some dude said on the internet will work", instead use "another dude's opinion".
Those fluids are in line with original transmission specifications (non-LV). Says GM (specific to that transmission when build, not a blanket statement 3 decades later) and Castrol (that makes that oil).

Valvoline says that MaxLife is LV fluid. In my book that is non compliant.
If some people choose to experiment, and nothing bad happened yet in their transmissions, it doesn't invalidate the OE requirements.

Dex 6 didn't work well for my 97 Lesabre. It shifted harshly when it got hot. Drained and put in Dex3 and my transmission shifted perfectly. I know GM stated DEX 6 was the current replacement but I don't think it worked well with the older transmissions due to its viscosity. As others suggested, Max Life seems like a good option.

I second what Lubener said. I had the same symptoms in my ‘99 Lesabre 4T65E during summer time and high temperatures. This was with Dexron IV which the original owner had used for their first ATF Service. I ended up using Mobil 1 ATF Synthetic (Dexron III Spec) when I did my own servicing and all of those symptoms cleared up beautifully. Ever since then, she shifts perfectly without any issues all year long in any temps. And unlike the original Dex 3 formula, Mobil1’s synthetic version does not have issues with shearing down. I avoided flushing and instead did a drain and fill with a new filter.

I also had a less-than-ideal result with LV fluid in a 97 Lesabre (shifts were not smooth). Easily corrected by adding the thicker stuff (Castrol Transmax HM) and it has been working well for over a year now.

I used maxlife in my 03 Impala and the shifting was descent but I switch back to regular Dex/merc Atf and a bottle of lubegard red. I been using that mix for years and it works great...The Impala liked the older Dex/Merc vs the Dex 6/maxlife....

I use that same Dex/Merc and lubegard red mix in my late model Toyota Camry that spec's Dexron ll.

Well,I bought 2 gallons of Maxlife atf.was gunn a buy valvoline atf,gallon, but for a high mileage vehicle,use give it a shot. It's 6.5 quarts with filter,pan drop. I luv bought about that,Mobil atf..Their stuff has always been too shelf.but it's pricey.figured use run maxlife,see what happens.worst case,I have pan dropped ,again, and have napa Dexron 3_ supertech atf,dexron ...put in.got appointment set for monday,am. Want to do it myself,but landlord won't let me.do in street..police are me,citation time. Got anew gasket, gm,from rockauto. And using a carquest filter.

I second what Lubener said. I had the same symptoms in my ‘99 Lesabre 4T65E during summer time and high temperatures. This was with Dexron IV which the original owner had used for their first ATF Service. I ended up using Mobil 1 ATF Synthetic (Dexron III Spec) when I did my own servicing and all of those symptoms cleared up beautifully. Ever since then, she shifts perfectly without any issues all year long in any temps. And unlike the original Dex 3 formula, Mobil1’s synthetic version does not have issues with shearing down. I avoided flushing and instead did a drain and fill with a new filter.
I'm doing a drain and fill, and a shift kit come spring. Transmission is a 2001. I was told by many to stay with the Dex III.

Back