What vehicles are you using Maxlife ATF in?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by csandste
Used it in my deceased '14 Encore. My '17 Soul and girlfriend's '17 Optima will get it when the time is due. Good stuff.

What happened to the encore?

P.S. The only problem I have is finding this fluid in Kelowna, I buy it in the US and go down and pick it up.:) The odd time I find it locally in Walmart, but lately they are out of stock.

Originally Posted by A310
P.S. The only problem I have is finding this fluid in Kelowna, I buy it in the US and go down and pick it up.:) The odd time I find it locally in Walmart, but lately they are out of stock.

Napa Canada stocks it.

Can you 'order' it and have it shipped to a nearby store ?

Originally Posted by jstutz
Not to derail but ATF has always confused me a bit. I have always wondered how we can have so many specs, then have a fluid that comes out that meets so many of them. The only plausible answer that I could come up with is that the specs are similar enough that one fluid is close enough that it just dont matter.

I believe that the fluid makers can analyze fluids that meet other specs or they know the specs. Then they can formulate a product or products that meets those specs (or exceeds it). The OEM fluids are not likely to have some super-secret, magical ingredient that their transmissions require for operation.

I also believe that some OEM fluids are just private-labeled, off-the-shelf fluids.

Originally Posted by Snagglefoot
By the way, here is the list according to Valvoline.
(pic of the back of the bottle)

They have an even longer list on their site
smile.gif

It's California law that fluids with a significantly different viscosity can't be "recommended for use in..." which is why it doesn't say Mercon V on the bottle but it does on the site.

I would happily use Maxlife ATF in any import transmission listed on the bottle, and any domestic with LV fluid specced (Merc LV/Dex VI). Why not domestics that spec higher viscosity fluid? Because fluid is easy to come by and cheap (this isn't always the case for imports). For example why use Maxlife when Valvoline Mercon V with the correct viscosity is right next to it on the shelf at O'Reilly, or you can get Castrol licensed Mercon V at a different parts store in town (Carquest/Advance). Same thing with regular thicker Dex III for an older vehicle, why waste the money on Maxlife when Dex III is "correct" and cheaper. Yes, I know Dex VI is "backwards compatible" but after my experience with transmission issues after changing the Dex III to Dex VI in my Suburban... maybe it's a coincidence it had 214K miles, maybe not.

Anyway, I happily use Maxlife ATF in my Escape which has a 6F35. I am using it instead of the OEM specified fluid (Ford Motorcraft Mercon LV) because the OEM fluid was getting dark very quickly even after changing, which is apparently common with the Motorcraft fluid. I'm going to do a few more changes with the Valvoline and see if it's any different. Even if the color is still dark, the Maxlife did improve shifting immediately.

Last edited:
A960E in the IS250, the hybrid has a couple quarts of Maxlife in the hybrid main tranny. Also used in 3T40 in when I had it.

In the past, I've had it in my old LS400 and it worked fine. My parent's Sienna had some shift flutter on ML - I went back to T-IV for that. I've used it in various Hondas, Subarus and Nissans with no issues though.

Originally Posted by hallstevenson

Can you 'order' it and have it shipped to a nearby store ?

walmart in Ontairo stop carry Maxlife ATF few years ago and I had to order a few each time I am going to Buffalo. lately, walmart canada just start to stock them on the shelf few weeks ago. you can punch your postal code and see if there are store that carries it.

I used some of it when doing the trans fluid exchange on my Tb in 2014. I am not sure how much remained in as the bulk of the exchange was Amsoil LV ATF. What ever is in there is still working fine.

Nissan Pathfinder 2006 it has about 90000 miles on Maxlife ( 3 diff drain and fills )
Nissan Frontier 2008..it has about 65000 miles on Maxlife ( 2 drain and fills )

For some reason I have not seen it at Walmart in Ponderay Idaho for quite a while, but that's where I have bought it in the past. You might be able to buy it online and pick it up at Ponderay.

Originally Posted by dogememe
It's California law that fluids with a significantly different viscosity can't be "recommended for use in..." which is why it doesn't say Mercon V on the bottle but it does on the site.

I would happily use Maxlife ATF in any import transmission listed on the bottle, and any domestic with LV fluid specced (Merc LV/Dex VI). Why not domestics that spec higher viscosity fluid? Because fluid is easy to come by and cheap (this isn't always the case for imports). For example why use Maxlife when Valvoline Mercon V with the correct viscosity is right next to it on the shelf at O'Reilly, or you can get Castrol licensed Mercon V at a different parts store in town (Carquest/Advance). Same thing with regular thicker Dex III for an older vehicle, why waste the money on Maxlife when Dex III is "correct" and cheaper. Yes, I know Dex VI is "backwards compatible" but after my experience with transmission issues after changing the Dex III to Dex VI in my Suburban... maybe it's a coincidence it had 214K miles, maybe not.

Anyway, I happily use Maxlife ATF in my Escape which has a 6F35. I am using it instead of the OEM specified fluid (Ford Motorcraft Mercon LV) because the OEM fluid was getting dark very quickly even after changing, which is apparently common with the Motorcraft fluid. I'm going to do a few more changes with the Valvoline and see if it's any different. Even if the color is still dark, the Maxlife did improve shifting immediately.

With DEXRON III it shears below DEXRON VI viscosity within a few thousand miles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back