maxi scooter - should i change the oil now?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,

I have a Peugeot Metropolis 400cc single cylinder 3wheeler with dry variomatic transmission.

Factory fill: was in the engine from new until I reached 300 miles where I got the first service done.
Elf Scooter Maxi City 5W40 was filled in - and I'm now at around 700 miles.

Should I change the oil now? Yesterday I did its first high speed highway run to bring it to its max speed.

I want to change it to Motul 300V - but I want to wait to at least the 1200 mile mark to make sure the break in period is done.

So - should I do another oil change to flush out any remaining break in particles that stuck / have been generated since its last oil change 400 miles ago?

Thanks for you opinion,

Alex

Last edited:
I think you are in very good shape. Wait until 1200-1500 miles to change to Motul. Don't forget to clean the screens and/or replace the filter as applicable.

Thanks Oily_thing.

another thing I'm wondering is wether 5W40 is the best choice. It's a 400cc single cylinder, water cooled.

Maybe a 10W50 or 15W50 is the better choice? Especially summer highway use?

Last edited:
Originally Posted by alex_at
another thing I'm wondering is wether 5W40 is the best choice. It's a 400cc single cylinder, water cooled.

What does the owner's manual say to use?

Originally Posted by Oily_Thing
Originally Posted by alex_at

What does the owner's manual say to use?

Fully synthetic 5W40, API SL/SJ. That's it. No temperature chart - nothing. So officially 5W40 is the only choice.

[But that's the same on my sisters Peugeot Django. 5W40 is the only oil recommended. Its an aircooled 125cc - albeit it does have a fan always spinning to cool the engine - I still run Motul 7100 15W50 in it.]

At least they don't call for Jaso MA2 like my Piaggio did - even tough it had a dry variomatic system.

Last edited:
if high sulphur content isn't an issue (see my other thread about aluminium engine cylinder wall coatings) I'm thinking of Delvac 1 5W40 as an alternative to the 300V - what's the consent on that idea?

And then I still have 8L Petronas Selenia 5W40 (API SL and CF /MB 229.3 / VW 505 and 502.000 / GM-LL-B-025) laying around which I don't really have use for since my car has a DPF.

Last edited:
Isn't the Petronas Selenia 5W40 a high quality synthetic? If so, i'd go with that, or stick with the ELF brand. On previous scooters I've owned, Suzuki 400 and 650, Yamaha 400, Honda 600, etc, the motors didn't seem to fully break in until several thousand miles were put on them: this is based on increased MPG and general seat of the pants feel. For that reason, I'd also suggest running the existing ELF to 1500 or 2000 miles before changing again. Don't baby it, run it hard so the rings will seat.

BTW, that is one heck of a nice scoot!

Last edited:
Being liquid cooled, I would stick with the 5w-40.

I would keep running the oil. I think you're pretty much on point with your choice of switching to 300v down the line.

I run 5w-40 in my liquid cooled motorcycles and 15w-50 or 20w-50 in my aircooled engines. They run much hotter and the increased viscosity keeps the noise of the timing chain down on them when it gets really hot.

Last edited:
use the 5w-40 you currently have; 5w good for cold starts, 40w good for protection once up to operating temps, synthetic great for lubricating over entire temperature range

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back