Max life blend or ST HM?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good morning folks, hope everyone is warm and safe
smile.gif

Friend stopped over yesterday with some filters for me to cut and gave me 2 jugs of new style Maxlife blend 5w20. I already have 2 jugs of ST HM Syn 5w30 to use up. Checked all fluids after warming car up again and darn valve cover gasket is weeping from drivers front side I see. Soon I will be replacing it and the spark plugs but wondering if folks have had success with both mentioned oils or.....

Thanks in advance

I would use either one as they're both excellent oils. However for something as easy to service as your valve cover gasket, I would first check the torque on the valve cover bolts they often loose torque as the gasket shrinks and compresses in use. Snug them up and see if the weep subsides. If not, just replace the gasket instead of hoping a HM oil will fix the leak.

I appreciate the leak stop ability of HM oils, but I reserve that hope for difficult or costly to replace gaskets. Easy to service gaskets I just replace.

I agree with Luke's position on fixing the problem as soon as possible when it's a simple fix, but my personal preference would me MaxLife even though I'm sure the ST HM is fine as well. When the cost difference is less than $5/oil change, just pick whatever.

You want me to see if Orscheln has any 10W40 HM stuff??
lol.gif

Originally Posted by SubieRubyRoo
I agree with Luke's position on fixing the problem as soon as possible when it's a simple fix, but my personal preference would me MaxLife even though I'm sure the ST HM is fine as well. When the cost difference is less than $5/oil change, just pick whatever.

You want me to see if Orscheln has any 10W40 HM stuff??
lol.gif

Haha! Nah, that's ok.

Luke: I checked the bolts while at brothers place bit ago. All right and seems gasket is brittle and original one. Member ThirdEye sent me new one and plugs.

Just to pile on in agreement with FlyNavyP3 and SubieRubyRoo, it is best to address the root cause of the issue and resolve it first.

Get a new VC gasket on there if the re-torque doesn't work.
At that point, per Dave1251, either oil will likely fit your need.
Details of the vehicle would help confirm the last point.

Good luck!
11.gif

Originally Posted by Imp4
Just to pile on in agreement with FlyNavyP3 and SubieRubyRoo, it is best to address the root cause of the issue and resolve it first.

Get a new VC gasket on there if the re-torque doesn't work.

Good luck!
11.gif

The notorious 2AZ-FE 4 cylinder engine in a 09' Camry LE with 149,xxx miles 9n it

Originally Posted by 53' Stude
Originally Posted by Imp4

Good luck!
11.gif

The notorious 2AZ-FE 4 cylinder engine in a 09' Camry LE with 149,xxx miles 9n it

This chart has floated around on BITOG for quite some time.
I've never been able to prove the provenance but maybe you'll find it useful.

74818_Toyota_Motor_Oils.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back