Max Life and Liqui Moly question

Status
Not open for further replies.
My 2003 Ford Escape with the Duratec V6 has a slight oil leak. The Max Life red bottle really has helped the leak become a small drip over the last year or so I have been using it. Maxlife is a great product. To further bring that drip to a stop I am thinking of adding some Liqui Moly motor oil saver to the mix and to see what happens. As I read more about the brand Liqui Moly, it seems to be a decent oil. Does anyone here have real world experience with their oils?

I currently use Maxlife red bottle in the Ford and Amsoil SS 5-30 in the two Nissan vehicles. Is this brand worth buying / trying or should I stick with what I've got?

Liqui Moly has a good reputation here and it may be worth a try. I'd start out with a single bottle though. And keep in mind the Liqui Moly treatment is not permanent: more must be added with each oil change.

You could also try another HM oil. I've had good luck with Mobil1 HM in my 3.0 Duratec (let me guess - your leak is the front cover gasket, right?).

Molybdenum is perfect for grease but in oil?maybe in manual trans and diff it would shine but in engine?i would change oil more often for the next two oil change and stick with maxlife

The leak is coming from the front of the engine on the left side as you face the vehicle. The drip hits the exhaust pipe and produces an odor that really stinks. Maxlife has really slowed the drip. Liqui Moly - Lubro Moly here in the US - seems like a well crafted oil.

I am curious to see if anyone on BITOG has used their regular motor oil and what their results were.

Head cover gasket?try tightening it slightly(SLIGHTLY I SAID)usually leak happen because the seal arent dry so oil pass there.happens all the time on big rig trailer.driver check the oil in the hub and doesnt wipe the silicon cap and the hole the oil start seeping out by the wet spot

I wouldn't add more. If it's easy to get too just fix it. Too much of a good thing sometimes makes things worse. The motor oil saver also increases viscosity.

The question I am really seeking an answer to is who has experience with Liqui Moly regular oil? I am currently running Maxlife and Amsoil in my vehicles and am wondering if switching to this Liqui Moly brand would be a gain, loss or neutral move.

I think it might be the timing chain cover. The mechanic I use told me the repair could be upwards of $800. Apparently getting to the area requires a lot of dis-assembly of "stuff". He also said that until he got in there and looked around he really couldn't tell. Might be the timing chain.....but could be the valve covers.....or something else. I really don't have the funds to let him look around. Maxlife has worked wonders.

Liqui Moly looks like a well engineered German oil from what I have read on the web. Curious to see if anyone here has run it in their vehicle and what the results were.

Originally Posted By: yvon_la
Molybdenum is perfect for grease but in oil?maybe in manual trans and diff it would shine but in engine?i would change oil more often for the next two oil change and stick with maxlife

He is speaking of their (LM's) Motor Oil Saver, NOT their much more well known on here, MOS2.
The former is mainly an ester based seal sweller/conditioner, the latter is an anti-friction/wear additive with much suspended moly and a good dose of boron, among other ingredients.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: LexAtlanta
My 2003 Ford Escape with the Duratec V6 has a slight oil leak. The Max Life red bottle really has helped the leak become a small drip over the last year or so I have been using it. Maxlife is a great product. To further bring that drip to a stop I am thinking of adding some Liqui Moly motor oil saver to the mix and to see what happens. As I read more about the brand Liqui Moly, it seems to be a decent oil. Does anyone here have real world experience with their oils?

I currently use Maxlife red bottle in the Ford and Amsoil SS 5-30 in the two Nissan vehicles. Is this brand worth buying / trying or should I stick with what I've got?

My dad's 06 LTC was leaking about a 2.5-3" diameter spot on his new driveway. He brought it to the local Ford dealership and was quoted about $700 to R&R the rear main seal. Some local indy shop owners suggested he use VML 5W20 along with a can of Liquo-Moly. After about 5 weeks and over 5K miles the leak was gone. And, to this day, the engine still does not leak.

http://www.liqui-moly.us/liquimoly/produktdb.nsf/id/us_2020.html?Opendocument&land=US

Be interested to hear your results. The wife's Escape has the same leak. I can't tell if it's the timing chain cover or the valve cover leaking. I replaced the oil pan gasket and that helped a little (another leak point in that vintage) but it still stinks sometimes.

Another thing that helped was this last OCI we went 5w30 Pennzoil Platinum and it seems to have helped a little bit as well.

Seems to be much worse in the winter - my guess is because the oil spends a good bit of time at the 5 end of the spectrum.

I also pressure wash the engine 2x a year real good and that at least makes it clean.

Can you guess I'm not wanting to dive in and fix it? Everything I've read online says it's a royal PITA to fix.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back