how to tell if max life has moly?

Status
Not open for further replies.
got a few quarts of max life the other day. as far as i know the first few batches of max life had moly in it, and the subsequent ones didn't. how can i tell if the stuff i got has moly in it? the bottles i got don't have the starburst API symbol in the front

quote:

Originally posted by TallPaul:
I'm just wondering if the change away from moly happened when Maxlife went from SJ to SL rating?

It happened before that, as my very first oil analysis ever was with the SJ formula of Maxlife, and it showed no moly in it, then my second interval was with the SL formula, and it too had no moly, but I also noticed less ZDDP and less calcium too. So much for their claims that the newer Maxlife had more antiwear additives and more detergents.
banghead.gif

Sorry guys, don't want to step on any toes, but here in the USA, I think Maxlife is somewhat pricey for an at best average oil.

quote:

Originally posted by haley10:
Sorry guys, don't want to step on any toes, but here in the USA, I think Maxlife is somewhat pricey for an at best average oil.

I have to agree. For the same price, my money would be on pennzoil or castrol high mileage.

since I got my maxlife free. I got a three dollar coupon for maxlife engine protector. I ended up buying it for $2. if you want moly, you will have to add engine protector to the oil. check the voa of maxlife engine protector. 489ppm of moly
smile.gif

I thought Max-Life was a great deal when it first came out ... even if the base oil was "only" a Group II and not the Group III their techs told me it was.
tongue.gif

The original formula with moly really quieted down Hondas with piston slap and worked quite well on Bob's Timken tester.

Before Valvoline dropped the moly (after it had been out 12-16 months, I believe) one local WalMart had this stuff on sale (looked like an overstock to me) for $5 for 5 qt jugs.

I think I bought 4 of them ... and sold two to Bogatyr.

--- Bror Jace

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back