Massive knocking/rattling from '05 F150

Status
Not open for further replies.
Drain the pan, refill the pan, and then change the filter. This should minimize air in the system.

If it still knocks, the chain tensioners theory sounds good.

Is this the first time those vehicles have been to your shop? I know that will probably be impossible to find out though. I know when I switched from synthetic to dino in my car it knocked for a couple minutes, never did it before or after that. The test is when I change the oil next. I don't think my truck did although it's hard to tell with the duals. Maybe its a change of weight, brand, or synthetic/dino. I know it shouldn't but that don't mean it won't. Eric

It's not wheather you believe pre-filling the oil filter is or is not the problem - Just do it!!! and you will not hear half of what you are telling us you hear! There is a big-big-big air bubble in that new oil filter and where does it have to go but out though the motor oil lub passages before it gets ventilated. Air does not lub bearing surfaces very well!!! Granted there will still be a little bit of air for you can't fill the oil filter all the way-but just filling it as much as you can does wonders when it comes to having to hear all the noise at startup.

Hence the qualifier 'probably'.

As you said, it is a good idea to test this out before a drain, filter and refill.

I said probably because of the reason Fords do this which is the logic that if the computer sees a WOT (wide open trottle) condition at startup, it cuts off the fuel pump because that is an wrong condition to start the car.

WOT on startup stopping fuel delivery was common in cars even in the 80's.

quote:

Originally posted by loudist:
WOT on startup stopping fuel delivery was common in cars even in the 80's.

None of the FI cars I owned from the 80's, 90's, or 00's had this feature. I still say you should test beforehand.

quote:

I said probably because of the reason Fords do this which is the logic that if the computer sees a WOT (wide open trottle) condition at startup, it cuts off the fuel pump because that is an wrong condition to start the car.

I'm quite familar with Ford's programming in their ECUs. More so than you could ever imagine.
wink.gif

What ECU programmer would you recommend
without having to chip my computer?

'81 chrysler imperial had this feature as a 'flooded engine condition' as did other cars with early engine management.

I too think this is the timing chain tensioners which are hydraulic. My 97 F-150 does it slightly although the piston slap is much worse. I had a 93 Lincoln Mark VIII which did it every morning when the oil drained back out of the tensioners. It really worried me until Ford released a technical bulletin on the noise. I consulted Ford and and independent mechanic. Both said not to worry. I traded that car a few years back but to my knowledge that little 4.6 still runs like a bandit.

Yes, prefill the filter as much as possible, but as posted before, floor the accelerator pedal and hold it then turn the key and let it crank for 10 seconds or so... wait 30 seconds and do it again, resulting in the the oil pump pressurizing the lifters and timeing tensioning, without any work load on the bearing surfaces.
Take foot off the accelerator and start it up and enjoy instant oil pressure.

This probably works on most later model EFI engines.

quote:

This probably works on most later model EFI engines.

I wouldn't assume all FI cars behave this way. I suggest you try this before you drain all the oil and change the filter. I don't think you want the engine to rev up to redline with no oil pressure.

I saw somebody drive by in one of those yesterday and it was knocking while he rolled past my house. The guy was partly idling and partly rolling which seams to cause it to knock.

Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back