Mass homicide plot in Halifax foiled

Status
Not open for further replies.

OVERKILL

$100 Site Donor 2021
http://www.thestar.com/news/canada/2015/02/13/halifax-shooting-plot-stopped-by-police.html

Quote:

HALIFAX—Nova Scotia’s RCMP say an alleged plan by at least two suspects to carry out “mass killings” of civilians in a public place in the Halifax-area on Valentine’s Day has been foiled.
Asst. Commissioner Brian Brennan says a man who was found dead in a Halifax-area home early Friday intended to go to a public place with a woman and open fire on citizens before killing themselves.
Police received information from the public on Thursday morning of a potential significant weapons-related threat. The information suggested a 19-year-old Halifax-area man and a 23-year old woman from Geneva, Ill., had access to firearms, Brennan said.
“We received a threat that individuals were planning on targeting a public venue in Halifax, to go there and commit mass killings of civilians and to ultimately kill themselves,” Brennan, the senior Mountie in the province, said in a phone interview Friday night.
“Given the public venue that we believe was to be targeted, there was the potential for significant casualties and injury to citizens.”
Brennan would not say which venue was being targeted.
He says two other male suspects, ages 20 and 17, were also involved, although he says investigators were still trying to determine what their role was.
Brennan said firearms have been seized, although he could not say what kind, how many, or where the weapons were seized.
“The weapons seized had the ability to inflict a lot of casualties if used in a populated area,” said Brennan.
Police say they found the 19-year-old man dead at a home in the Halifax-area around 1:20 a.m. Friday.
Brennan would not elaborate on the circumstances surrounding his death, saying the issue has been referred to the province’s Serious Incident Response Team, which reviews all serious incidents involving police in the province.
A statement from the Serious Incident Response Team, known as SiRT, said police found the man dead when they entered the residence.
He said the 20-year-old man and 23-year-old woman were arrested around 2 a.m. at the Halifax airport. Brennan said the woman was arriving on a plane and the man was there to meet her.
The 17-year-old boy was arrested around 11 a.m. in the Halifax area, he said. Brennan said all three suspects remain in police custody and there’s no word on charges.
Brennan would not characterize the alleged plot as terrorism, saying the views of the individuals “were not based in religion or culture.”
“(These) people were of the same destructive mindset,” he said, although he would not elaborate on the nature of their mindset.
Brennan said he’s “extremely confident” that all participants in the incident have been arrested.
“We’re very, very confident that we got all those that we needed to get,” he said. “There is no further threat . . . to the general public.”
Federal Public Safety Minister Steven Blaney applauded police efforts.
“These arrests are a great example of the fine work they do on a daily basis to help keep Canadians safe,” he said in a statement on Friday.
Nova Scotia Premier Stephen McNeil also praised police.
“On behalf of all Nova Scotians, I thank our police officials, here and in the United States, for their quick and professional work. We are grateful for their dedication and vigilance,” he said in the statement.

Scary stuff! Mental health is a serious issue. It is quite obvious these folks were not right in the head.

I keep forgetting Halifax is a place. I first heard of it on Air Crash Investigation, being referred to only as an airport. Now every time I see it, I think airport.

conspiracy ideas immediately pop into mind after reading that link... of an "alleged" plan.
Was Brian Williams there to help catch them?
First, I thought gun laws prevented things like this from even getting started up in your neck of the woods?
How did they manage to get a weapons cache?
Does it make you wonder if this is an isolated incident... pat on the back everyone job well done for stopping this we need a budget increase more police more government... just enough info in the article to make for a nice happy ending feel good story.
35.gif

1lg073chef.gif

Originally Posted By: 1 FMF
conspiracy ideas immediately pop into mind after reading that link... of an "alleged" plan.
First, I thought gun laws prevented things like this from even getting started up in your neck of the woods?
Does it make you wonder if this is an isolated incident... pat on the back everyone job well done for stopping this we need a budget increase more police more government... just enough info in the article to make for a nice happy ending feel good story.
35.gif

1lg073chef.gif

Crazy as it sounds it wouldn't surprise me....

Hegelian Dialectic..Problem Reaction Solution.

This was NOT a terrorism attempt as far authorities are concerned. I am guessing the perpetrators were white Christians. This is *so* predictable :-(

Originally Posted By: 1 FMF
35.gif

1lg073chef.gif

This is funny. Send in the B52, bring back napalm, and let Brian Williams/Major Kong ride the bomb.

Originally Posted By: horse123
I keep forgetting Halifax is a place. I first heard of it on Air Crash Investigation, being referred to only as an airport. Now every time I see it, I think airport.

I read an article about Halifax in Popular Science magazine when I was a child. The article left quite an impression on me. During WWI there was an explosion involving two ships in the port that did extensive damage to the city. It was the largest explosion to occur before the atomic bomb.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halifax_Explosion

Originally Posted By: Vikas
This was NOT a terrorism attempt as far authorities are concerned. I am guessing the perpetrators were white Christians. This is *so* predictable :-(

33.gif
31.gif

CBC has newer coverage now:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-scoti...-plot-1.2957685

Quote:
Two people were arrested at Halifax Stanfield International Airport and have been charged with conspiracy to commit murder after an alleged plot was foiled to kill a large number of people at the Halifax Shopping Centre in the city's west end on Valentine's Day.

Lindsay Kantha Souvannarath, a 23-year-old from Geneva, Ill., and Randall Steven Shepherd, 20, of Halifax have been charged.

randall-steven-shepherd.jpg

Originally Posted By: antiqueshell
Originally Posted By: Al
Originally Posted By: OVERKILL

Looks just like the girl you would take home to meet mama
33.gif

That IS the male correct? I see an adams apple. LOL

Yup, Randall Steven Shepherd.

Originally Posted By: Al
Originally Posted By: OVERKILL

Looks just like the girl you would take home to meet mama
33.gif

Where he's going he might just end up being someone's "girl".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back