Marine Grease for steering stem bearings?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Degreaser
i returned that tube of marine grease to the store today, then cleaned the top stem bearing with kerosene, couldn't get the rubber seal off but the kerosene didn't seem to bother the rubber, dipped the bearing in alcohol to wash off all the remaining kerosene then let it dry a few minutes them packed the bearing with that tube of red synthetic grease I bought at Canadian Tire, so I got the top bearing cleaned and packed, so then tomorrow I'll do the same to the bottom stem bearing, the grease is kind of sticky

Yes, kerosene is safe for rubber parts. Most motorcycle manufacturers recommend kerosene to clean chains with rubber O-rings. No real need to use alcohol after the kerosene as kerosene will dry fine but might take just a little longer to dry.

After i had pulled the bearing with it's seal out of its kerosene bath from my puppy's metal water dish (my puppy said it was ok), then I dipped the bearing in a small cup of that rubbing alcohol, swished it around to get the kerosene off then pulled it out and the alcohol seemed to clean off all traces of the kerosene, then I waited a minute for the alcohol to dry then began to pack the bearing with grease, that red grease could be either Mystik Hi-Temp or Lucas Red 'N Tacky under the Motomaster brand name at Canadian Tire. Thanks to a couple youtube videos on How to Pack Bearings, I am sort of pleased cause this was my first bearing clean and pack

My first post, good topic too. 3 weeks ago I had to change the notchy steering bearings on my FJ1200, and just used Castrol LMM grease as its all I had. Compared to what was in the original bearings (next to nothing) I'm sure it will be fine.
[Linked Image]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back