Marine Gear Oil for Scooter Transmission?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am using Amsoil Marine lube 75/80w90 in my outboard. My new Aprila scooter calls for 75w90 for the transmission. Any reason I could not use the marine lube in the scooter?

Just asking/checking after the fact. I changed the scoots tranny fluid yesterday with Mobil 1 75w90.

Originally Posted By: Pablo
The Amsoil Marine lube will work very well.

+1 especially if you ride it in a flood...
grin2.gif

The only question i would pose , I know with running marine grade gear lube on chains it leaves a reasonble thick film on sprocket teeth.

On regular gearlube, there seems to me more of a cleaning effect and doesnt do that.

But otherwise I dont know, but I'd think for the scooter I'd go with the reccomend and not risk

Aprilia specs a 75w90 synthetic GL4 or 5. If the AmSoil meets those specs, rock on. Your choice of M1 was fine. I'm running Rock Oil GRO in the hub of my Sportcity, and M1 T&SUV in the engine. My wife has a new Scarabeo 100. We both really like the Aprilia line... great scooters.

Hi,
beanoil - I must say I like the Aprilia range of scooters and recently nearly purchased a Scarabeo (I obtained a Burgman 650 instead). I had a look at the latest Aprilia range yesterday - they are great stuff

I would have used Delvac 1 5W-40 (M1 T&SUV) in my Burgman but as it is under warranty for two years and a MA lubricant is mandated (it has a "Tiptronic" transmission) I went to a 5W-40 Castrol product instead

Please keep me posted on how the T&SUV lubricant performs - it should do an excellent job

I have been astounded at how cool the final drive runs (50C) ( Castrol Syntrax 75W-90), the engine lubricant is only around 70C with the transmission about 10C cooler. It is Winter here in the Tropics so the ambient range is from 14-23C

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: jackkpts
I am using Amsoil Marine lube 75/80w90 in my outboard. My new Aprila scooter calls for 75w90 for the transmission. Any reason I could not use the marine lube in the scooter?

Just asking/checking after the fact. I changed the scoots tranny fluid yesterday with Mobil 1 75w90.

If the fluid is used for an auto shift transmission I'd stay close to what they spec.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back