Marinade / dry rub?

There are a few different ways of putting flavors in meat, what do you usually use? From what my mom and YouTube taught me, you should use baking soda, soy sauce, enough water, oil, maybe also an egg yolk for beef, and for chicken you should use vegetable like carrot, soy sauce, corn starch, and oil.

Then I heard of "aging" beef into steak for days if not weeks, about 10 years ago, and it sort of gross me out at first but I am ok with this process now. I also have been told not to wash chicken but instead just add dry rub before baking them (garlic powder, onion powder, salt, pepper).

What is your go to way for seasoning / marinade / dry rub?

Beef is aged for about 21 days before you buy it. From what butchers have told me, you would not like the texture and flavor of beef which is not aged.
It depends on what I am prepairing is what I use to enhance the flavor. I use dry rubs on chicken and usually marinate and sprinkle seasoning on steaks and chops.
The reason they tell you not to rinse chicken is to avoid the possibility of contaminating kitchen surfaces and other food you might be prepairing. If you cook your food properly, any bacteria present is killed anyway.

Beef is aged for about 21 days before you buy it. From what butchers have told me, you would not like the texture and flavor of beef which is not aged.
It depends on what I am prepairing is what I use to enhance the flavor. I use dry rubs on chicken and usually marinate and sprinkle seasoning on steaks and chops.
The reason they tell you not to rinse chicken is to avoid the possibility of contaminating kitchen surfaces and other food you might be prepairing. If you cook your food properly, any bacteria present is killed anyway.
Is all beef aged in the US? or just steak?

Regarding to washing chicken, that's true about washing splash bacteria around, but what about the "smell" of chlorine that fresh chicken come with (assuming you are not getting the air chilled ones)? Do you just mask it off with seasoning or do you rinse to get rid of it first?

Is all beef aged in the US? or just steak?

Regarding to washing chicken, that's true about washing splash bacteria around, but what about the "smell" of chlorine that fresh chicken come with (assuming you are not getting the air chilled ones)? Do you just mask it off with seasoning or do you rinse to get rid of it first?
The whole hanging half is what is aged in tact, so that includes every cut. There have been a lot of meat cutters in my family. Unfortunately, they are all gone now. If you aged beef after it was cut in steaks, that would get nasty.

I don't know what you mean by the chlorine smell, I never encountered that with the locally produced stuff I buy. I still rinse all chicken and whole turkeys.I don't think I would eat chicken with a smell like that.

I don't know what you mean by the chlorine smell, I never encountered that with the locally produced stuff I buy. I still rinse all chicken and whole turkeys.I don't think I would eat chicken with a smell like that.
Same here. In the years of buying chicken, I've never encountered one smelling of chlorine. Is this a California thing?

Last edited:
For chicken breast or strips I marinate them in Italian Dressing for an hour or so, chicken with bones I rub McCormick Grill Mates Montreal Chicken Seasoning on about an hour prior to grilling. I really don't marinate anything else just season before it hits the grill.

Same here. In the years of buying chicken, I've never encountered one smelling of chlorine. Is this a California thing?
Never had chicken with a chlorine smell, only buy Foster Farms fresh chicken since we have a plant in town. ;)

these are my favorite rubs for beef, pork and chicken.
81vL8Fmj7CL._SL1500_.jpg
Chicken-Seasoning.jpg

Never had chicken with a chlorine smell, only buy Foster Farms fresh chicken since we have a plant in town. ;)
I think what it is is a smell that resemble swimming pool or refrigerator. I've been through chicken slaughter / butcher in my younger years and they do smell different when fresh chicken are not refrigerated, right off the cleaning. Maybe it is different types of chicken, maybe it is the freshness, maybe they were raised with different feeds, maybe they didn't go through a chlorine bath or spray with sanitizer to kill off bacteria before packaging, I don't know.

From what I remember fresh chicken smell somewhat between turkey and the packaged not frozen chicken in store today, even when raw from what I remember fresh chicken smell somewhat like cooked chicken with the "KFC" like smell, I found that in thaw frozen turkey but not in today's chicken, I found a hint of swimming pool smell instead.

Malo,
I've been looking for that Chef Merito ever since you mentioned it earlier. It looks very good and am anxious to try it.

The only place that has it locally that I can find is a Wally World about 20 miles away. Will keep checking...
Check the local mexican markets, I get mine at the local Villarta market. ;)

Always do seasoning on the steaks about 30 minutes before cooking. Take them out season them up and throw them back on the fridge then straight on the grill yummy. The hard part is picking out which steak seasoning to use. 🥩 🧂

Always do seasoning on the steaks about 30 minutes before cooking. Take them out season them up and throw them back on the fridge then straight on the grill yummy. The hard part is picking out which steak seasoning to use. 🥩 🧂
Best to leave the steaks out before grilling to get to room temp, throwing them back in the fridge will leave the center cold. ;)

Back