Many passionate American CEO's in office today like Lee Iacocca?

Most Mega-Corp CEOs are there to destroy the company, get a fat check when they get the axe, then move on to the next company, rinse and repeat.

Prove me wrong.

Some CEOs are like Chainsaw Al. They know they can destroy companies and walk away with a guaranteed payday in the millions.

This guy did some very shady things and went from company to company causing problems.

I think there are quite a few CEOs that are passionate about what they do and their companies.
That’s why they’re so good at what they do, it’s a passion. If you don’t have that passion, you’re not worth anything to the company they work for.

Doug McMillon CEO of Walmart to me is another poster child of success and well worth whatever it is he gets paid. This guy started off working a part-time job at Walmart, unloading tractor trailers.
Hard work, education, got him and recently got Walmart to where it is today.
Anything is possible in this country.

Someone who just came out of nowhere. If anyone’s interested, it’s quite a story, click each category starting with early life in the link below.
There are all different types, but this is an important point. In my job, I worked for the C-Level staff, developing the corporate forecast. By definition, I was a high level company insider.
The people I worked with were incredible businessmen in the most competitive business, Semiconductor Mfg Equipment, in the world.
Yeah, they had a lot of money, but I came to believe they do these crazy pressure jobs (heart attacks are common) because that is who they are.

I was more or less too young to realize what Iacocca did for Chrylser at the time, didn't care really. I can respect him for what he did, but the company in general didn't care, it was just another example of why the US Taxpayers should let all of Detroit fail during the multiple times each one was bailed out in some form or fashion. I suspect we're about to see round 14 or 19 of that situation again, really soon.

Those big automakers in Detroit have no intent on making it by themselves, they've been bailed out so many times, not many pay attention anymore. Look at GM and Chrysler/Fiat/whoever they are called today. While there are some people like myself that vowed to never buy another GM product ever again in their life after 2008, very few saw the reason why we did. But look at human behavior in the streets today in the US and you don't have to think about it long....

To get back on topic, I'm not sure the current crop of CEOs in this country could figure their way out of a paper bag, but I don't think most of the population could, either. Again, look at human behavior in the streets today. I think the university systems have concentrated too much on a path of political indoctrination instead of wholesome education and learning, especially learning things the hard way. Your CEOs today are just like any celebrity or star of a sport, etc. - they are heavily financed since birth, they are sent to the ultimate boarding schools, they are in "business schools" in middle school, they are sent to high-grade business schools at the time of College, then sent to Ivy-League universities to get multiple graduate degrees.

IOW, they are groomed since birth, they know hardly anything outside an elite lifestyle, they have zero experience figuring things out during their 20's, 30's and 40's. Heck, most of them are some over-educated, do-nothing CEO or other C-suite officer by 35. Tell me how many second or third jobs they've worked so they could pay the power bill, buy groceries and save for a down payment by 35?
Your portrayal is wrong.
GM's current CEO started off on the line while working her way through college.
Whatever her failings, she has blue collar roots.

Steward Healthcare a chain of hospitals was destroyed by current CEO.

It’s so bad they have trouble paying vendors for basic necessities needed to run a hospital.

Tons of stories about what happened and CEO sketchy business deals to pull $800M from healthcare system.

• Wow
Reactions: Pew
No newsmax 😂
Never heard of that one.

I think they're all the same honestly. Not really journalism anymore sadly. They all have an agenda. Either from left or right.

I would love a news station that calls both sides out and reports what is REALLY happening.

Okay, enough of this.......

There are a few of them here and there over the years. Currently I think Lisa Su of AMD would be the closest. She steered AMD from a near bankrupt company to a company that's #2 in both GPU and CPU, and beat Intel in market value.

Whether Elon Musk is "not a finance guy" is up to debate but you are going on a roller coaster ride with him as an investor and employee. Jeff Bezos is a finance guy with engineering background so that probably doesn't match the "passion" part other than having some engineering background to not run his company into a leveraged collapse.

I have high hope for Pat Gelsinger of Intel, he could have been another Andy Groove had he succeed him as the next next CEO, but the company's rot is quite deep and it would need at least 5-10 years to steer it back to its former glory if ever. As you can see the last 2 3 finance CEOs really screwed it up.

It’s amazing how different Lisa Su is compared to Jensen Huang. One of them seems human and someone I’d be down to actually have a conversation with the other has an ego the size of 38 Ford Excursions.

Sadly AMD seems destined to be #2 in all the industries they serve no matter what. They just don’t seem to have the R&D budget?

Yes their CPUs are better than Intel in some ways and Ryzen single-handedly got Intel to move on from 6 generations of stagnancy from Sandy Bridge to whatever Lake the 7th gen CPUs were called BUT who still has the majority of market share in CPUs? Intel does.

Same thing with GPUs. AMD is in game consoles but that’s low margin business. NVIDIA is in most pre-built gaming PCs and workstations and in the AI sector which is where the real money is made. Intel’s Arc GPUs are interesting but let’s be honest… nobody is cross shopping an RTX 4090 and an Arc A770. They’re entry level offerings that compete mostly with Radeons. So the “third player that can help make gaming graphics affordable again” is just making it even harder for AMD to compete.

I want AMD to do well. In my personal computers and most of the computers I build for people that needed dedicated graphics I install Radeons. But it seems no matter what AMD does Intel and NVIDIA will always win.

It’s amazing how different Lisa Su is compared to Jensen Huang. One of them seems human and someone I’d be down to actually have a conversation with the other has an ego the size of 38 Ford Excursions.

Sadly AMD seems destined to be #2 in all the industries they serve no matter what. They just don’t seem to have the R&D budget?

Yes their CPUs are better than Intel in some ways and Ryzen single-handedly got Intel to move on from 6 generations of stagnancy from Sandy Bridge to whatever Lake the 7th gen CPUs were called BUT who still has the majority of market share in CPUs? Intel does.

Same thing with GPUs. AMD is in game consoles but that’s low margin business. NVIDIA is in most pre-built gaming PCs and workstations and in the AI sector which is where the real money is made. Intel’s Arc GPUs are interesting but let’s be honest… nobody is cross shopping an RTX 4090 and an Arc A770. They’re entry level offerings that compete mostly with Radeons. So the “third player that can help make gaming graphics affordable again” is just making it even harder for AMD to compete.

I want AMD to do well. In my personal computers and most of the computers I build for people that needed dedicated graphics I install Radeons. But it seems no matter what AMD does Intel and NVIDIA will always win.
It really is about risk and return, and where they start from. AMD used to be a "real man has fab" company that couldn't keep up with their rivals, continuing to buy out smaller companies to expand their own R&D short coming, and then finally saw the light and divest their fab to focus on being design only. nVidia started with just one goal: graphics, then expand that into something leveraged from graphics, and double down even if they don't see the market expand. There was a long period of time nVidia has not much growth and stagnant, and then got lucky.

I think, AMD will likely focus on entering markets they have confidence in, and accept the possibility of being #2 in everything other than FPGA (Xilinx). They are diverse enough to do well regardless of what is hot (CPU, FPGA, GPU, AI, console, etc). nVidia, if you follow what they did when they failed to enter the tablet market, they were stagnant, and they really are always looking for the next big thing with high profit market (GPU always, but for gaming, crypto, then AI, etc). They will always have a risk of following Intel and Motorola if their markets get commoditized.

I really think it boils down to what kind of leaders they have (Lisa was a long time IBMer and MIT graduates, and Jensen skipped 2 years in HS, then graduated from Oregon State then Stanford, and starting his own company).

Reactions: GON
Back