Manual vs Automatic

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've heard from several people that cars with manual transmissions last longer then automatics. Is there any truth to this?

Would have thought the lower shock to diff/axles etc from an auto and no over engine over reving would make auto last longer IMO. Only owned one auto from the 25 vehicles I've had, got rid of it quick smart.

I would think a manual would last longer if it wasn't abused simply do to the reduced complexity.

I think auto's will hold up fairly well if properly taken care of (which most people don't). I still hate driving them though. I think the roads would be a little safer if people who couldn't drive a manual weren't allowed on them, but that's just personal opinion
grin.gif

In my experience, clutches will only last about 100K miles before needing replacement. A well maintained automatic should last at least 150K miles. (I know there are exceptions to both)

A manual will cause more wear to the crank thrust bearings, and the engine will run through more low/high rpm cycles, than will an automatic.This creates more engine wear.

When everything's added up, I would choose the automatic for longetivity. But as always, good maintenance is the key.

Depending on your driving style, I would think an automatic equipped car would have a longer lasting engine. That's because with an automatic it's easier to keep the revs lower most of the time, unless you drive with your foot to the floor. I have found that me personally, with a manual car, I end up revving it a bit higher in normal driving than an automatic car would. In my day to day driving with my automatic Firebird, I can drive to work and back and not go over 2000rpm once. Of course when the road opens up I do drive it hard though. But if my Firebird was a 6 speed, I'd have a harder time keeping the rpms that low in the daily commute. I find it especially beneficial with automatics when the engine is cold, as I can then keep the rpms even lower, in the case of my torquey LT1, I can keep the rpms below 1500 for the first few minutes of operation. I'd never be able to do that easily with a 6 speed.

Another thing I just thought of, is that with an automatic there is never a chance of lugging the engine, but with a manual it's possible. I'm sure lugging the engine shortens it's lifespan.

[ January 03, 2003, 12:00 PM: Message edited by: Patman ]

quote:

Originally posted by TheLoneRanger:
In my experience, clutches will only last about 100K miles before needing replacement. A well maintained automatic should last at least 150K miles. (I know there are exceptions to both)

But would you rather replace a clutch or overhaul/replace an automatic transmission?

it all depends on how hard you drive your car. It doesn't matter if you have a stick or auto, you can damage it either way. Sticks are made for racing, not computer controlled cars with autos. You wonder why so many ppl replace their dang autos because they abuse them. I find driving a stick much better than an auto bc i can control my gears and that helps me a lot. I hate when an auto is stuck in btw 3rd and 4th. Plus, im not going to ever have to replace my tranny, the only thing ill ever have to replace is my clutch, and that will only be about 400 bucks compared to an automatic, that would be over a 1000.

I think everyone is right...it comes down to opinion. I agree with Hodaguy in that I prefer stick bc I like total control over the car and I know autos are expensive to replace. I think sports cars should always have stick (all do). Anyone serious about driving usually wants stick. Autos have come along way and are better then ever, but driving stick is for more performance driven people. Being able to keep the car in gear at a higher rpm when changing lanes is great. With an auto, you have to floor it and in these cases, rpms can go higher then with a stick. I can agree with Patman on the cold weather thing. I don't think sticks put more pressure on the crank shaft. Engines like the Vtec are outstanding and are meant to be driven at high rpms. I feel sometimes that if you drive a manual fairly easy and shift around 3k to 4k rpms, the engine is benefitting bc there is no torque converter and the engine is receiving a good amount of power it needs.

I've had many sports cars now, mostly manual cars but some automatic cars too, and for what I'm into (drag racing) I simply find the auto is better for me. I got tired of missing shifts in my 6 speed 98 Formula, which is why when I looked for this current car I have now, I made sure it was auto.

When I get more money for mods, one of the things I'm interested in doing is changing the torque converter. With the right choice, the ET can be lowered by a half second, putting my car well ahead of the 6 speed cars.

Plus I drive my car everyday to work, in rush hour, so the auto is more suited towards that. I don't miss the 6 speed all that much, I kinda like just slamming down the pedal and letting the car do all the work, especially when I'm on the roll and want to make a quick passing maneuver. Then I don't need to hunt for the best gear, the car just automatically chooses that for me. Sure, I'm lazy.
smile.gif

Very good points. I agree, stick in rush hour is not fun. For drag racing autos are better. There more consistant like you said. One bad shift and your done. I think having a stick in sports car is great for winding roads and turns. Autos have become so much better though.
smile.gif

BTW, I always heard that reving the engine is good for it.....

[ January 03, 2003, 09:51 PM: Message edited by: buster ]

ill stick to the manuals. My dad had a 67 gto( if you seen xxx, its that exact car) with a 400 cu. in engine and had an 81 vette black with t-tops. I know autos are getting faster, but at the same time, it takes the fun out of driving. I know when im older, ill prolly get an auto for a family car, but for sports car, ill definitely stick with the manual. NO wife will ever influence my decision on a sports car!!!!!!
grin.gif

Yes, and probably the hard way. Good luck HondaGuy.
smile.gif

hey, my mom bought my dad an 81 corvette 4 speed manual, and she loved driving it(she basically learned on that car).

Back to the original question: One of the reasons for automatic transmissions on heavy equipment and commercial vehicles is to eliminate damage from driver/operator error.
Personally the only automatic I still have is my wife's 88 325ic. I will admit to loving the automatic in the Grand Cherokee I had for the mountain driving (although i ran it semi-manually a lot). The mountains are such here that with manual trans we wear out the shifter and the steering wheel before the engine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back