Manual Trans Small Engine hwy cruizing rpm

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: KrisZ
You guys have been spoiled by big, slow turning V8s for far too long, that may explain the "fear' of cruising at higher RPMs.

Pah! My non-overdrive "slow turning" 60s big-blocks spin faster at 70mph than some of the numbers being tossed around here... let alone those of my friends' cars with 3.55 and 4.10 rear end ratios.

With respect to engine speed vs road speed, at 3000 revs, our three sticks have the following road speeds:
'95 BMW 318i: 65 mph
'97 Accord: 75 mph
'99 Accord: 80 mph
These are approximate figures.
WRT wear, I recall reading a comment from one old time light aircraft engine mechanic who said that revs don't wear out engines, horsepower wears out engines.
If you think about it, this makes a lot of sense, in that light loads don't exert the kind of forces that heavier ones do, regardless of revs.
OTOH, traditional HO air-cooled direct drive aero engines make their peak power at very low revs by car standards, and are expected to make that power on a continuous basis, reduced only by the gain in altitude, if the pilot desires to leave the throttle shoved all the way forward, for as much as 2000 hours.

Originally Posted By: Nick R
Because at operating temps, cruising, engine wear is essentially nonexistent.

So when does the engine get most of it's wear? I have a MT Civic and hate how it winds up at cruising speeds. I'm always thinking that all those rpms are causing a lot of bearing, valve, and ring wear, etc.?

Originally Posted By: Cogito
So when does the engine get most of it's wear?

At cold startup.

Quote:

I have a MT Civic and hate how it winds up at cruising speeds. I'm always thinking that all those rpms are causing a lot of bearing, valve, and ring wear, etc.?

Not really.

Originally Posted By: Cogito
Originally Posted By: Nick R
Because at operating temps, cruising, engine wear is essentially nonexistent.

So when does the engine get most of it's wear? I have a MT Civic and hate how it winds up at cruising speeds. I'm always thinking that all those rpms are causing a lot of bearing, valve, and ring wear, etc.?

There is less wear travelling 2,000 miles of highway driving at 3300RPM at operating temperature with oil in good condition, than if you started up your car from -15 degrees and let it idle for 10 minutes.

They recently raised some of the speed limits in Kansas. The highway I travel every day is now 75 MPH.

My 2007 Sonata turns at right around 3000 rpm at 80 mph.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Cogito said:
So when does the engine get most of it's wear?

At cold startup.

Quote:

I have a MT Civic and hate how it winds up at cruising speeds. I'm always thinking that all those rpms are causing a lot of bearing, valve, and ring wear, etc.?

You can drive 100 miles per 80% of the time and you won't cause any extra engine wear to your Honda.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back