Manual oil recommendations 2019 Frontier V6

Status
Not open for further replies.
I looked in the manual for oil specs thinking only 5/30 was the only oil spec but to my surprise it states
use a SN rated oil and use the correct viscosity for the next season you be driving in. Living in an area where
we very seldom go below 32 degrees I am going with 10/30 syn when I start doing the oil changes.I will use
the OEM oil filter and stay with the 5k miles changes. You think they would have given you a chart with the recommendations.

Oil1.JPG

oil2.JPG

I ran my 2010 on various 5w-30s (conventional, blend and syn) for 130,000 miles. When I sold it late last year, it was still running great and didn't burn a drop between OCIs. The 4.0 V6 is a tough little motor!

Originally Posted by passgas55
I looked in the manual for oil specs thinking only 5/30 was the only oil spec but to my surprise it states
use a SN rated oil and use the correct viscosity for the next season you be driving in. Living in an area where
we very seldom go below 32 degrees I am going with 10/30 syn when I start doing the oil changes.I will use
the OEM oil filter and stay with the 5k miles changes. You think they would have given you a chart with the recommendations.

Is there a chart in the Maintenance & Schedule Section of your owners manual?
Can you give us a pic of that please? I'll bet it's in there.

I would just use a quality synthetic 5W-30 oil for most of the year. If you really want something thicker, I'd go 0W/5W-40 full syn in summer months...

Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
Originally Posted by passgas55

Is there a chart in the Maintenance & Schedule Section of your owners manual?
Can you give us a pic of that please? I'll bet it's in there.

I just did a search and looked in recommended fluids/ capacities. Now in there it says to use a 5/30 and if you don't use Nissan oil then
it must be a synthetic 5/30 GF-5 SN engine oil. Now I bet the $32.99 oil change the dealer does is not Nissan oil or synthetic. I will find out when
I get my free oil change.

Ask the dealer service dept tech what level oil they use, prior to getting it done. Question whether the Nissan oil is synthetic and mainly because your manual states to use synthetic, whenever a rival brand is used.

If the manual insists on synthetic, then so should you insist Nissan Synthetic, at no extra charge.

I am on my 3rd Frontier. My first one I purchased in 2003 while living in Metairie. Use Castrol 5/30 Magnatec or Havoline Pro DS with OEM filters and sleep peacefully.

Last edited:
You must be accumulating a-lot of miles, to own three since '03. I still have my 03' and 04' Chevys. First & last ownerships here. Never trade-in or sell.

girlfriends just purchased 8,000 mile 2018 kia optima has 5-20 on the cap but being a "thickie" i read the owners manual, 5-20 or 5-30 or 10-30 SN or better, also a temperature chart. i dumped the 5-20 semi syn from the car dealer + put in 10-30 synthetic for pa summers + run similar in my used 2011 fronty V-6 34 thou now + uses NO oil, changed ALL drivetrain lubes to Redline + 75-90 in the nissan-dana 60 + picked up 3 MPG's!! fronty owners manual says 5-30 API approved SM, it also note choose a viscosity based on temperature your vehicle will be operating in!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back