manual calls for atf in the steering

Status
Not open for further replies.
i have a 2000 ford ranger xl with the 2.5. the haynes manual says my truck uses mercon v atf in the steering system. is there anything wrong with switching to valvoline maxlife power steering fluid? or should i just stick with the mercon v atf? any additives i should try to quiet this pump down? these pumps are notorious for being loud. thanks in advance

Use what the manual calls for!
thumbsup2.gif

You could try flushing it with a full-synth Mercon V like Mobil 1 to try to take care of the whine. It usually only takes a few quarts so its not a huge investment.

I use 'power steering fluid' in my type F Ford power steering reservoir.

Never confirmed it, but a semi-reliable source once told me power steering fluid is essentially ATF without the red dye and more anti-foaming agents. Can anyone confirm or deny?

Alex.

No red dye-- confirmed

Additive package depends on what the OE specified.

When an ATF is required, use an ATF.

When a PSF is required, use a PSF.

To quiet the pump down, thicken the fluid. Use a high mileage ATF like Maxlife. Add an ounce of Lucas ATF snot.

Ford pumps are noisy. Live with it.

sorry for the mix up, the manual actually calls for regular mercon. so would mercon v work? i have a couple extra bottles of pennzoil mercon v atf

Ford now says it's OK for Mercon V to be used where Mercon was spec'd.

Fresh fluid is good for the system. But to quiet it down, a SMALL shot of STP can be used.

That Lucas product mentioned by undummy sounds promising.

well i already had put the maxlife in the power steering, but im getting a really bad clicking coming from the rack. so im going to try and get rid of as much of the fluid as possible and put in the mercon v atf. hopefully theres just air in the system somewhere. i really dont have the money to buy a new rack. installing it would be no problem, i just dont have the money right now.

and what lucas oil additive are you guys talking about. quick look on their site shows a power steering stop leak. or the atf transmission fix? i have a bottle of the stop leak. not sure why i have it, but its a brand new bottle.

at the dealer our techs have added the friction modifier additive for limited slip diff's and that has helped with some noisy pumps with new fluid.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back