Mann ML1003 filter torn media

Status
Not open for further replies.
I pulled this filter off 1999 Toyota Sienna with 264k miles on the van and 6,500 miles on this filter running AMSOIL OE 5w-30. It has a 5qt sump and at the time of the oil change it was a qt low. I just purchased an oil filter cutter and it works well. I figured I would see how this filter looked since it was on a high mileage "sludge producing engine", at least it is listed as one on AMSOIL's look up guide.

The filter looks good other than the one tear. Nothing out of the ordinary. I posted a UOA on this vehicle on the last oil change. I didn't take a sample this time, now I wish I did.

Too bad you didn't get the date code from the top of the can!

The Mann filter is a reboxed Purolator Classic.

I thought their cans were white though. Is that a new filter or an old stock?

Originally Posted By: Chris142
Originally Posted By: Rat407
I got this filter from AMSOIL, it came in a green and yellow box. It was $3.75.
amsoil may want to hear about this

This.

Originally Posted By: Chris142
Originally Posted By: Rat407
I got this filter from AMSOIL, it came in a green and yellow box. It was $3.75.
amsoil may want to hear about this

Maybe Mann would like to hear directly about it too, and not through their Purolator subsidiary. After all, the Mann name is on the can of these problematic filters.

"...6,500 miles on this filter..." I wonder why they keep on tearing?
smirk.gif
I maintain the position that this is not necessarily all Purolators fault. It appears that the majority of the failures have occured in applications when they were ran longer than they were designed to last. I use Puros and their rebrands on my vehicles, but I change them at short intervals (+/- 3-4k miles.) Never a tear yet! Im sorry to see that this filter tore on you, but perhaps you should consider running a shorter filter interval or perhaps spend more than $3 on a filter you want to last more than 6k miles.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: jk_636
smirk.gif
I maintain the position that this is not necessarily all Purolators fault. It appears that the majority of the failures have occured in applications when they were ran longer than they were designed to last. I use Puros and their rebrands on my vehicles, but I change them at short intervals (+/- 3-4k miles.) Never a tear yet! Im sorry to see that this filter tore on you, but perhaps you should consider running a shorter filter interval or perhaps spend more than $3 on a filter you want to last more than 6k miles.

They are designed to last the manufacturer's specified OCI. With some vehicles, featuring an OLM, that can be a heck of a lot longer than 6,500 miles.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
smirk.gif

They are designed to last the manufacturer's specified OCI. With some vehicles, featuring an OLM, that can be a heck of a lot longer than 6,500 miles.

You got this information from their website correct? What do you expect them to say, "They may last up to 6k miles if you have a new car with a prestine motor, but use common sense with our products."? That would be much better, but bad for business.
crackmeup2.gif
Dont get me wrong, I hate seeing torn media as much as the next guy, but there comes a point where you have to stand back and objectively identify the problem and find a solution. PROBLEM: Filter media tearing during extended use. SOLUTION: Stop using for extended intervals or switch to a different filter designed for high mileage use!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
smirk.gif

You got this information from their website correct? What do you expect them to say, "They may last up to 6k miles if you have a new car with a prestine motor, but use common sense with our products."? That would be much better, but bad for business.
crackmeup2.gif
Dont get me wrong, I hate seeing torn media as much as the next guy, but there comes a point where you have to stand back and objectively identify the problem and find a solution. PROBLEM: Filter media tearing during extended use. SOLUTION: Stop using for extended intervals or switch to a different filter designed for high mileage use!

Lots of tears reported in the 3-4k range and one at less than 500 miles. I think it is equally likely that they fail almost immediately in service.

crackmeup2.gif

No, they are required to meet the OEM change intervals for a given application in order to be a suitable OEM replacement. So if an FL-820S has to meet drain intervals of 15,000 miles as per the OLM, so does its aftermarket equivalent.

It is not only a reasonable expectation for a filter to last a standard drain interval (whatever that constitutes), it is a requirement. Furthermore, this issue is recent and didn't happen in the past with Purolator filters. Something has changed, and changed for the worse. We've been cutting filters open on here for a very long time, and this issue has only recently started to pop up.

The solution is to stop using these filters until the issue has been acknowledged and dealt with. Use something else. And that something else certainly doesn't have to be a special "extended drain" filter, particularly if the drain interval being observed is one dictated by the OEM.

I installed another ML1003. I guess we will see how it does in the next 5k miles.

This torn filter was on during some serious road trip/interstate driving. It made a trip from here in NC to Canada with a ton of stops along the way in PA. to see the historic area of Philadelphia.

I can say that the Sienna is one great vehicle, with the 250k miles on the original drive train, water pump and pretty much everything else. They just have been good at getting it serviced according to the owners manual for the most part.

I was going to install an EaO filter on it but figured I would use the last of my Mann filters.

smirk.gif

Mine tore at 3k and 3.7k. Yep, two failures.

Other filters have met my 7.5k factory maint. requirement in other vehicles... but tearolator failed me twice.

The two Wix filters that I cut open from other applications with 5k miles on them looked great, as did the EaO filters.

I'll have an AC/Delco PF61 to cut open here in another month or so.

Best to rename this thread.

The only thing Mann about that filter is the name on the can. That's a Purolator.

I was momentarily interested, thinking it was a real Mann filter.

What other filter brands are essentially re-labeled purolators?
Mann and Bosch distance are the only ones I know of.

I agree with Overkill. Aftermarket filters are designed to meet the minimum OEM requirements. OLM in many newer vehicles go well over 3-4k miles.

Originally Posted By: Volvohead
Best to rename this thread.

The only thing Mann about that filter is the name on the can. That's a Purolator.

I was momentarily interested, thinking it was a real Mann filter.

Yep. This.

smirk.gif

You just didn't defend a product failure did you? That's ridiculous and I sell the things. A product with no design margin is not a product worthy of the market. Vote with your wallet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back