MANN HU816X - 5,000 miles

MANN HU816X with 5,000 miles on it from my 2009 BMW 328i with N51 engine. Oil used was Valvoline Euro 5w40, most of these 5,000 miles were my 6 mile commute to work, with a few 1+ hour highway drives. I replaced it with the same oil/filter.

IMG_5434.JPG
IMG_5435.JPG
IMG_5436.JPG
IMG_5437.JPG
IMG_5438.JPG
IMG_5439.JPG

OMG... time to panic... some pleats are wavy.... that's a low quality German filter.

and Cellulose media filter... good thing you did the OCI at 5000 miles, since it's no good for extended intervals.

That's some of the latest "Jump to conclusions" BITOG has made on oil filters.

At least they have gotten over the "no metal endcap = crap" craze

Looks good. I’ve used Mann filters on my wife’s S60 with similar results.

Same green and yellow packaging, but made in Spain I believe.

Mann makes quality looking cartridges, this one another good example. And no doubt they fit well in their specified application. Based on observation, fit in housing tends to be important in cartridge use.

As for pleat wave consideration, I'd say there's degrees of waviness. Here, I'd call it more very minor displacement from overall straight uniform pleating. No comparison to some the wavy pleating seen in anecdotes over the years. ''In my observation', some brands seem flogged here for it more than others. Personally think wave mostly an appearance thing than a functional one. As long as doesn't result in a tear/bypass issue. all good. That said, based on reading comments, seems some really like China coo filters with straight pleats.

Thanks for pics.

Last edited:
Yep these filters are the OEM filter, so it's all I use on this car. Others have had issues with different brands getting crushed when installed since they aren't the correct height. This one was made in Germany, but I've used the same filter that was made in Mexico and it looked identical.

Back