Castrol 0w40 - 2009 BMW 328i - 6100 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
2009 BMW 328i with 46,000 miles on the N51 3.0L engine. Oil was Castrol Edge 0w40 with a MANN HU816X filter run for 6100 miles.

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by BMWTurboDzl
Originally Posted by Bjornviken
castrol edge 0w-40 bmw ll01 approval?

A long time ago in a galaxy far...far..away.

huh? Are you ok?

Originally Posted by Bjornviken
castrol edge 0w-40 bmw ll01 approval?

Yes.

I still have yet to see with my own eyes a jug of Castrol Edge 0w40 without the LL-01 approval. I've bought jugs from both WalMart and Amazon with the newer label and they all had the LL-01 approval on the back.
21.gif

Originally Posted by KCJeep
Good to see your post, nice UOA, nice car!

Thanks, I've been enjoying it so far. This OCI included a 2600 mile road trip down south with some curvy mountain roads and "spirited" driving (following all laws/speed limits of course).
grin2.gif

Wow, 46k miles on a 10 yr old car. Impressed.

It was previously owned by someone who used the train to get to work, so they only drove it every so often.

Originally Posted by zeng
Very good and low wear metal rates for a typical BMW.
OCI could be extended further, IMO.

Thanks, I just wanted to establish a baseline and see how it would do. There has been a lot going on during this OCI. The first month of driving was short trips (5 miles), then a 2600 mile road trip, and now I drive about an hour each way to work. I'm thinking I could go further with the next one since the oil stays at operating temp longer and most of the miles are highway. Also want to compare the Castrol 0w40 (which is what I filled with) with some Liqui-Moly 5w40 I got from someone who sold their Jetta.

Originally Posted by jeepman3071
Wow, 46k miles on a 10 yr old car. Impressed.

It was previously owned by someone who used the train to get to work, so they only drove it every so often.

Ya, like 5 days a week most likely. With that low mileage the train station must have been relatively close by. All in all a very nice report though.

My son also has a 2009 328i; he goes by the car's CBS system, so it only sees an oil change every 12 months/15k miles. He runs BMW TPT 0W-30 and the car is currently well north of 120k miles. If it was mine I'd cut back to a 10k OCI, but it works for him- the valvetrain looked great when we replaced the valve cover gasket a couple of years ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back