Mann @ 12k miles - cut open (pics)

Status
Not open for further replies.

NJC

This looked a lot better than my Honda's beleagured 14k mile Fram. Details:

- 1989 Volvo 740 turbo 160K miles.
- filter on car almost 2yrs and ~20k km's (12k miles)
- 2 oil changes @ 10k km's: 4l 0w30 XD-3 plus 1l each time 15-40 XD-3 makeup oil.

The Mann filters seem to be very well constructed and it held a lot of oil when removed.

IMG_6055.jpg

img_6021.jpg

img_6022-1.jpg

img_6023-1.jpg

img_6026.jpg

Parker ADBV:

img_6027.jpg

img_6031.jpg

Wow! A photographic UOA! I'll send a photo of my used oil and U can tell me the TBN reserve and the 100degc vis and the particulate count
wink.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
Wow! A photographic UOA! I'll send a photo of my used oil and U can tell me the TBN reserve and the 100degc vis and the particulate count
wink.gif

sure, 15 dollars per photo.

:p

Originally Posted By: Nayov
Made in Germany, not too surprising that it is a quality product.

There stuff nots so great.

Is the junk on the side of the can from the engine? Is this the car's first series of runs on this oil?

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL
Is the junk on the side of the can from the engine? Is this the car's first series of runs on this oil?

Yes, from engine ... honestly a bit distubed at the buildup but I'll get over it quick enough.
grin2.gif
Valve cover internals are very clean but I do see similar gritty-oily deposits through PCV system.

The first tun of XD-3 0w30 was completed 3yrs, as per this post.

Originally Posted By: NJC
Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL

Yes, from engine ... honestly a bit distubed at the buildup but I'll get over it quick enough.
grin2.gif
Valve cover internals are very clean but I do see similar gritty-oily deposits through PCV system.

The first tun of XD-3 0w30 was completed 3yrs, as per this post.

Would seem to be coming from somewhere filthy.... Do you have any suspects?

Not particularly. It is properly warmed up for >90% trips, kept in a garage that never dips below 0C ... has a good life. Maybe cleaning crud from previous owner?

Originally Posted By: NJC
Not particularly. It is properly warmed up for >90% trips, kept in a garage that never dips below 0C ... has a good life. Maybe cleaning crud from previous owner?

Very possible. That's what mine seems to be doing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back