Man Buys Pickup for $75, Drives It for 38 Years Pl

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: KGMtech
funny how his wife feels about the old eye-sore !

The comments section on that story is a riot; one guy got rid of his wife instead of his old truck!

For the price of four O2 sensors, three fuel injectors and a catalytic converter pipe set, he could fix it up.

I wonder what oil he uses?
grin.gif

thumbsup2.gif

Reminds me of the old 1957 Ford F-100 my dad picked up for $100.

It was a coastal Georgia truck. Lots of surface rust but no perforations. Giant chrome bar in the middle of the grill was perfect and shiny....didn't match the condition of the rest of the truck.
grin2.gif
Don't know which Y-block it had but it had one.

The only thing it really required is an occasional top off of motor oil, set of points once in awhile, and a can of R-12 at the beginning of summer. Yep! the A/C worked. It was a badly thought out unit hung haphazardly under the dash and it had a noisy blower, but it worked.

He had recaps on the bias belted tires. Almost completely straight ribbed tread in the middle and mud lugs on the sidewall edge. like different brands but they all had the same tread.
crackmeup2.gif
They couldn't have been very safe in wet weather but they held air just fine.

I wish I could find a truck like that. I would pay a lot more than $100 for it. One of those cool old cars that got away.

Great story. Many synthetic LOF changes cost over $75.00 after all the special fees and taxes.

Speedometer is very close to what the 55/56 Chevy car had. We had a 56 Chevy pickup at Mountain Bell when I worked there that had the V8 engine. Everyone liked to drive that truck because it had a lot of zip to it.

My first truck was a 58 that looked a lot worse than this one - wish I would have kept it.

235 cid inline six, three on the tree, no radio and no factory heater on mine.

Now, my father in law has a 1948 Chevy 3/4 ton that belonged to his father who bought it brand new in '48. It doesn't have the original motor though. Back in the mid 70's, he dropped a 292 cid inline six out of a 67 Chevy one ton. Ole '48 is still going strong.

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
I'm with one of the commentors: better to crush it than let Foose mutilate it.

You rather have Gas Monkey Garage lay their magic on it,
crackmeup2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back