Malibu 3.6L 6 speed drain and fill

Status
Not open for further replies.
Car is a 09 malibu 3.6L with the 6 speed. Going to do a drain and fill. Is it alright to use maxlife, it says it's dexron VI compatable? Or should I stick to a dexVI only fluid?

Any advice on doing a drain and fill on these cars?

Thanks

Maxlife works well in your application. I recommend a drain and fill with a bottle of Lubeguard Red. Maxlife/LGR is an awesome combo in just about any transmission. Use with confidence.

Originally Posted By: WishIhadatruck
Why not just use Valv. Dex VI, or another Dex VI?

Price, most quarts of DexronVI are 8-10 bucks. Maxlife is around 20 bucks a gallon.

GM says to use Dexron VI which from what I understand Maxlife fulfills that.

Originally Posted By: cchase
Maxlife does not have Dexron VI approval.

This is from the Valvoline website:

Does MaxLife automatic transmission fluid meet Dexron VI specifications?

Yes. MaxLife Dex/Merc ATF meets the Dexron VI specifications.

Does GM recognize MaxLife ATF and is this an acceptable fluid to use in place of Dexron VI?

GM only recognizes their factory fill fluid for Dexron VI, but Valvoline meets and exceeds the performance requirements for the specification, and we stand behind the product 100% for this specification

So Valvoline says maxlife meets or exceeds GM's specifcations.

Always a tricky call as your car is probably still under the 5/100 drivetrain warranty.

Here is another I copied from advanceauto website from the maxlife:

MaxLife DEX/MERC ATF contains a blend of base oils and a unique additive package to help extend the life of transmissions with over 75,000 miles. It is formulated to maximize transmission performance, reduce transmission wear and improve and maintain smooth shifting longer than conventional fluids. MaxLife DEX/MERC ATF is compatible with new and rebuilt transmissions and will not void new car warranties. Recommended for use where DEXRON, DEXRON II, III and VI, Toyota T-IV and WS, MERCON®, MERCON® SP and LV, Allison TES 295 and 389, Nissan Matic-D, Matic-J and Matic-K, Honda Z-1 (except CVT), Mercedes NAG-1, Mitsubishi Diamond SP-II and SP-III and many others are required.

I highlighted in red where they say it won't void new car warranties. Wonder why advance would put that on their website if GM only allows their own dexronVI to be used? Seems like if I did use maxlife and had a trans problem and GM denies warranty because of that then advance would be liable since they say it won't void warranties?

No doubt Valvoline stands behind their product. No doubt they don't want to pay a license fee for every quart. They are pretty confident their fluid will not cause a trans failure. Fair enough.
But saying using the fluid will not void your warranty is different that your dealer saying you did not use GM approved fluid so your claim is denied.

By tricky, before, I meant this fluid is going to be in your trans 50,000-60,000-75,000 miles and is being stressed more than you using Advance Auto 5w30 for 5,000 miles in your engine.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: scott37300

Does GM recognize MaxLife ATF and is this an acceptable fluid to use in place of Dexron VI?

GM only recognizes their factory fill fluid for Dexron VI, but Valvoline meets and exceeds the performance requirements for the specification, and we stand behind the product 100% for this specification

My statement was correct. Valvoline claiming to meet or exceed the specification is not the same thing as being approved as a Dexron VI product.

Quote:
GM only recognizes their factory fill fluid for Dexron VI

This is false. In fact, Valvoline themselves have a Dexron VI licensed transmission fluid. Maxlife is not it.

My statement was correct. Valvoline claiming to meet or exceed the specification is not the same thing as being approved as a Dexron VI product.

Quote:
GM only recognizes their factory fill fluid for Dexron VI

This is false. In fact, Valvoline themselves have a Dexron VI licensed transmission fluid. Maxlife is not it.

I see. So what is a decent fluid to put in?

My only point is that technically Maxlife is not Dexron VI approved fluid. This is not necessarily a bad thing - it just means that you have to accept Valvolines word that it meets the specification. I'm not personally too keen on fluids that claim to meet multiple (and sometimes competing) specifications, but that's a personal choice, not one backed with evidence (anecdotal or otherwise).

My intent was not to steer you away from Maxlife - it has a strong following on here and I haven't heard any horror stories yet.

FWIW, I picked up 12 quarts of Dex VI for about $5/qt using an AAP coupon for 40% off several months ago. So deals do exist, but on the whole I agree Maxlife is a less expensive way to go.

I just noticed today that you can't use advance codes on trans fluid anymore. It's been about a year or so since I've bought any trans fluid and the codes have always worked but when I added it to my cart today the codes worked on everything else but the trans fluid. Bummer.

Here is another I copied from advanceauto website from the maxlife:

MaxLife DEX/MERC ATF contains a blend of base oils and a unique additive package to help extend the life of transmissions with over 75,000 miles. It is formulated to maximize transmission performance, reduce transmission wear and improve and maintain smooth shifting longer than conventional fluids. MaxLife DEX/MERC ATF is compatible with new and rebuilt transmissions and will not void new car warranties. Recommended for use where DEXRON, DEXRON II, III and VI, Toyota T-IV and WS, MERCON®, MERCON® SP and LV, Allison TES 295 and 389, Nissan Matic-D, Matic-J and Matic-K, Honda Z-1 (except CVT), Mercedes NAG-1, Mitsubishi Diamond SP-II and SP-III and many others are required.

I highlighted in red where they say it won't void new car warranties. Wonder why advance would put that on their website if GM only allows their own dexronVI to be used? Seems like if I did use maxlife and had a trans problem and GM denies warranty because of that then advance would be liable since they say it won't void warranties?

They have lawyers writing this things now or at least proofing them. Yes it doesn't void your warranty, but if you have a transmission failure and it is traced back to the fluid. Then they will deny you on grounds that you are using an unapproved fluid.

Supertech Dex VI or Maxlife Dex/Merc are your most cost effective choices. I've used both with good results.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back