Malaysian 777 shot down over Ukraine

Status
Not open for further replies.
And what would be the motive for them to use it against an airliner with transponder on? That would be idiotic.

Originally Posted By: Drew99GT
Originally Posted By: andrewg
I'm surprised that with "military" aircraft being shot down in this region recently, that any commercial airliner would even risk flying over the Ukraine. Wasn't this a concern?

They just said on the news that this 777 was on the main commercial air traffic corridor from Europe to southeast Asia, so I'm assuming hundreds/thousands? of flights fly that route daily since it's a main air traffic control air corridor.

I heard on FOX that the FAA had given a directive that NO commercial airliners should be flying over that region. Apparently all airlines have complied. So what is the deal with Malaysian Airlines? Is this airline/nation as inept as it appears?

I'm surprised that with "military" aircraft being shot down in this region recently, that any commercial airliner would even risk flying over the Ukraine. Wasn't this a concern?

They just said on the news that this 777 was on the main commercial air traffic corridor from Europe to southeast Asia, so I'm assuming hundreds/thousands? of flights fly that route daily since it's a main air traffic control air corridor.

I heard on FOX that the FAA had given a directive that NO commercial airliners should be flying over that region. Apparently all airlines have complied. So what is the deal with Malaysian Airlines? Is this airline/nation as inept as it appears?

NO, the FAA told US based airlines not to fly over Ukraine. The FFA doesn't have legal control over carriers outside the US.

Originally Posted By: Nebroch
And what would be the motive for them to use it against an airliner with transponder on? That would be idiotic.

Motive? Russia can blame this incident on an "unruly" Ukraine, to justify taking over the country in order to restore "order."

NO, the FAA told US based airlines not to fly over Ukraine. The FFA doesn't have legal control over carriers outside the US.

I meant no American (domestic) airliners. Being that the FAA had extremely good reason to apply that directive...I find it very odd that ANY responsible airline would not agree. Pretty obvious not to fly over a region in conflict where aircraft have already been shot down.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

Motive? Russia can blame this incident on an "unruly" Ukraine, to justify taking over the country in order to restore "order."

Maybe it should have been russian airliner with russian passengers for such purpose to make sense.

Last edited:
Maybe it should have been russian airliner with russian passengers for such purpose to make sense.

Maybe they tried, but missed.

It would have made no more sense to have shot down a Russian civilian airliner than any other.

This would not make sense. The world would see right thru this deception.

Also are you concerned since you claim to be in Norway a dictator in Eurasia that has invaded sovereign countries to "protect" his "ethnic brother's and sisters"? This would concern me.

No, no, no. The rebels thought they were shooting down another "sitting duck" Ukrainian military transport. I don't think they were trained on transponders yet. They had the Buk SAMs in their hands only for a couple of days. They thought the third plane down in short couple of days would be a charm.

Sadly, this is what happens when you give a high end equipment to a trigger happy person. Hey, it happened to USA too: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iran_Air_Flight_655

In that sense it was an accident, but putting that kind of weapon in hands of irregular militia just adds to blood on Putin's hands.

I will be avoiding that part of the world on my vacations this year.................along with the Middle East....

Originally Posted By: friendly_jacek
Originally Posted By: BMWTurboDzl
My guess is that it was an accident and we may very well never know who the operator was.

I know, russians denied it. They also denied a lot of things.

Are you going to believe Putin who denied he sent "green little men" troops to Crimea in the first place? I know all politicians lie, but he in a league of his own.

So what's your point there? The USA did a lot of shady stuff as well and the US president denied any implication. Did you know the ex Black Waters security co had some 400 men in Ukraine since before the start of the riot? The same scumbags that threatened to kill US investigator in Iraq...yup...pretty sure they are not there for tourism.

This situation is starting to look more and more like Yugoslavia...and we all know how that went.

[censored] Russia off is not helping as more sanctions they get the more I and the rest of the Europe have to pay for natural gas, and probably you have no idea how cold it gets here during the winter.

Originally Posted By: dave1251
Also are you concerned since you claim to be in Norway a dictator in Eurasia that has invaded sovereign countries to "protect" his "ethnic brother's and sisters"? This would concern me.

It hasn't been easy for a small country (=Finland) to have Russia beside it, but I wouldn't want this West-Russia conflict escalate any further. China would win, Europe would lose (with energy trade etc.).

It was flying at a cruising altitude so it had to be something more than a shoulder fired SAM.

Russia probably provided the rocket but they will say it was Russian speaking Ukrainians not the Russian army.

This is certainly a tragedy but little about a war is pleasant.

Reads like one of those end of the world movies when they show disaster film clips from all over the place in the intro.

Originally Posted By: Andy636
[censored] Russia off is not helping as more sanctions they get the more I and the rest of the Europe have to pay for natural gas, and probably you have no idea how cold it gets here during the winter.

Nat gas is the key thing in whole show. With pro-russia government in Ukraine Russia sold gas with notable discount to Ukraine. Discount was lost after regime change, country is broke and can't buy gas to run it's economy. Russia invaded Krim, so they don't have to pay rent for Sevastopol naval base anymore and Ukraine lost this card too. Ukraine has some own production, but storage tanks will be empty before december at current consumption.

When things are starting to get desperate for ukrainian government, you can expect desperate actions.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: gregk24
Wait is this the same Malaysian airline as before ??

Yha..the same Airline that can't find it's jet lost in March

Probably operator error.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back