Malaysia Airlines 777 loses contact...not found

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Somebody needs to swim down there and replace the batteries before the thing stops pinging.
I nominate antiqshel

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
Why would Australia, America ... fabricate any evidence ? What do they want to hide ? Everybody wants to find out how the accident happened to prevent the same thing in the future.
"Finding the truth" takes a backseat to politics these days. Maybe the cause is known and not politically correct. Just speculating. One thing I'm pretty certain about is these "pings" aren't coming from anything to do with the plane. You can broadcast a radio signal for 2 seconds and amateurs can pinpoint your exact location. Experts with sophisticated equipment somehow can't narrow down a ping they've been hearing for a week. I'm not buying it.

Originally Posted By: hatt

You can broadcast a radio signal for 2 seconds and amateurs can pinpoint your exact location. Experts with sophisticated equipment somehow can't narrow down a ping they've been hearing for a week. I'm not buying it.

Is said signal that you broadcast bouncing off underwater mountains? Subject to convergence zones?

Originally Posted By: Trajan

Is said signal that you broadcast bouncing off underwater mountains? Subject to convergence zones?
The media is saying the max detection range for the pinger is around 2 miles. A 2 mile radius is not a large area for the several ships hunting the signal to lock in on. Even if the range was 20 miles it's not a large area relatively speaking for a international search effort.

The signal can travel only about two miles or so but there are all kinds of complicating factors. Underwater terrain like mountains and canyons can affect the signals, just like if you were in a mountain valley surrounded by mountains your cellphone signal might not get out. And there are layers in the ocean that can cause a signal to bounce and be heard miles from where it actually is.

They did pick up one signal for about two hours. Other signals were picked up for two or three or fifteen minutes. If no more signals are picked up (batteries are probably dead) I would dive the BlueFin first in the area where the two hour signal was picked up.

Last edited:
We can look to Air France 447 as an example. They never heard the pingers, besides a couple false alarms, despite knowing pretty much where the plane crashed from the first day since all the plane's equipment was functioning. And the debris field. But now with a whole lot of guesswork surrounding intermittent engine pings caught by sats we found the crash site and even heard the pingers but for some reason just can't find the exact location. LOL.

Last edited:
I does really disturb me that no floating wreckage has been found. I find that really strange and I don't know how to explain that. Maybe somebody tried to land the aircraft on the ocean surface and the aircraft sank relatively intact. Or maybe there would be a lot less floating wreckage if the aircraft was dived at very high speed nose first into the ocean. It just seems to me that there should be at least some floating wreckage.

There is no reason to believe that this is some sort of a conspiracy where they are just trying to make it seem this aircraft is at the bottom of the Indian Ocean. Why would countries like Australia, the United States, Britain, and others do that? No way I am going to believe that somebody just threw some blackboxes into the ocean so that signals would be detected.

If they did do something like that everybody would be discredited if it was suddenly discovered the airliner was in a hanger somewhere.

On the other hand we are putting a lot of reliance on some satellite data that had to be interpreted. But in the end there are those signals from the blackbox. And unless somebody threw a blackbox into the ocean those signals are extremely strong evidence. Conspiracy theories or no conspiracy theories.

You can broadcast a radio signal for 2 seconds and amateurs can pinpoint your exact location. Experts with sophisticated equipment somehow can't narrow down a ping they've been hearing for a week. I'm not buying it.

This is an acoustic signal, not RF. As has been stated, it's greatly affected by terrain and thermoclines.

Ed

Originally Posted By: edhackett

This is an acoustic signal, not RF. As has been stated, it's greatly affected by terrain and thermoclines.

Ed
And? You guys keep posting it but never illustrate the problem it would cause AFTER YOU PICKED UP THE SIGNAL SEVERAL TIMES.

It's not a simple explanation. Read up on SONAR and how sound travels underwater. It's not straight line of sight, not simple range. Add the the topography of the area and it becomes very complex.

But physics is intellectually difficult...while conspiracy is easy...

The incompetence of Malaysian Officials/Investigators contributes to the late search in South Indian Ocean. If they could not investigate the missing plane from day 1 they should ask for help, then the international investigators may be able to pin point to the right area to search after few days.

Originally Posted By: Astro14
It's not a simple explanation. Read up on SONAR and how sound travels underwater. It's not straight line of sight, not simple range. Add the the topography of the area and it becomes very complex.

So when can I expect your apology when the plane is no where near the area being searched. If they ever find it. Or is it just too hard to search 5-10 sq miles of the ocean floor? Pings now travel 10/100s of miles?

Last edited:
How much knowledge and understanding do you have of the ocean? In particular SONAR and how acoustics can and do effect the accuracy of obtaining a accurate fix of a object's position?

I will hazard a guess not very much.

It would be interesting to know (well maybe not) if there was anyway someone could breach that cockpit with tools at hand that might be in the main cabin area. For example if the co-pilot was locked out and tried to regain control of the aircraft is there anyway they could get back in?

I'm not going to say anything further on the matter for a few weeks. I'll be eager to hear from the experts here on why they couldn't find the plane even though they were listening to the pingers for a week.

It would probably be easier to get to the moon than it is to find the the pinger where it is. 2 1/2 miles down sinking into primordial ooze that will be oil in a few hundred million yrs.
grin2.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Astro14

So when can I expect your apology when the plane is no where near the area being searched. If they ever find it. Or is it just too hard to search 5-10 sq miles of the ocean floor? Pings now travel 10/100s of miles?

http://www.fas.org/man/dod-101/navy/docs/fun/part08.htm

http://www.soest.hawaii.edu/oceanography...9OcnPhysics.pdf

*WARNING* No conspiracy theories.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back