Makita impact wrenches and other tools

Long story short, I now have (6) 5.0aH Makita 18v batteries and no tools. I'm new to the line. I'm looking for a 1/2 in mid torque wrench but it seems like there are like a few models. Aside from homedepot and lowes, who carries this stuff normally.

I have a Hex driver and leaf blower on my list of things to buy. Anything else out there?

All my power tools were ni-cad and dead and I don't wish to try and use them. The only new tool I have is an M12 stubby in 3/8. I'm just an average DIY and shade tree mechanic that knows his limits. Is Makita a strong brand? From my research, they are popular overseas but not as big in the US market. Also heard they are pushing 40v and the 18v line will just die off soon.

I have Kobalt tools, but Makita has the same tools. Besides the impact driver and drill the tools I absolutely can't live without are the hedge clippers, blower, and shop vac. I also have the 7" circular saw and while it's by far the tool I use least regularly, when I do use it, I'm so glad to have it.

Maybe start here: https://www.makitatools.com/products/lxt

I have the XWT14Z 1/2" impact driver on order, Makita's running a promo where if you order the 2x 4.0 amp/hr batteries they thrown in the driver for free. Trav's been a bad influence on me and I've been looking for the right time to get into the 18v lineup. I have several of Makita's 12v tools, they're great.

[edit] as for retailers, Amazon, Home Depot, and a variety of other online tool joints per the links on their site. I ordered the items above from International Tool, was the only one that would still do the promo despite the "free" item not actually being in stock. Still waiting for it to arrive so we'll see.

Makita is one of the good brands, based out of Japan.

Yes they're introducing a 40v/80v line of tools but the 18v isn't going anywhere. They've got like 300 tools on that system. They have a pie chart on their site suggesting that the 18v is best for 80% of requirements.

jeff

Last edited:
The Ag shop I worked at used to sell Makita, and they were great. A disc grinder burned to the ground while we were at smoko, but otherwise they had no problems.

Maybe start here: https://www.makitatools.com/products/lxt

I have the XWT14Z 1/2" impact driver on order, Makita's running a promo where if you order the 2x 4.0 amp/hr batteries they thrown in the driver for free. Trav's been a bad influence on me and I've been looking for the right time to get into the 18v lineup. I have several of Makita's 12v tools, they're great.

[edit] as for retailers, Amazon, Home Depot, and a variety of other online tool joints per the links on their site. I ordered the items above from International Tool, was the only one that would still do the promo despite the "free" item not actually being in stock. Still waiting for it to arrive so we'll see.

Makita is one of the good brands, based out of Japan.

Yes they're introducing a 40v/80v line of tools but the 18v isn't going anywhere. They've got like 300 tools on that system. They have a pie chart on their site suggesting that the 18v is best for 80% of requirements.

jeff

I have the xwt14z and really like it. It's sort of mid to high power range but enough controls and mode switches to do lighter jobs.

Makita is a top tier brand, but we've no idea of what jobs you do enough and what extra convenience cordless would bring to the table to justify buying new tools.

Hex driver can get away with 18V, as can a drill, impact wrench, smaller saws. Larger saws or leaf blower and other outdoor gear, you're better off with 40V+ tools. I don't know if they have any that take 2 x 18V batteries in series which would effectively round up to 40V.

I'm debating on Mid torque (XTW17 400ishft-lb) or high torque (700ish ft-lb) as my next impact.

I have an air compressor and a decent air powered impact. I also have the M12 stubby (200ish ft-lb)

I'm a home garage mechanic that mainly does brake jobs and some light suspension, say control arms and ball joints. I also reach for the M12 but sometimes its lacking the ballbusting torque. THe IR2135 seems to get things done but size and air hose is sometimes an issue.

I'm just an average DIY and shade tree mechanic that knows his limits. Is Makita a strong brand?
For the average DIYer like yourself (or myself and most here), don't get hung up on the brand or the rivalries (drama) that some like to create. When you start to look for tools, wait until you see the price for a "bare" tool (tool only) vs a tool + battery + charger.

How did you end up with (6) fairly big batteries ? 😁 Are they new or in good condition ?

How did you end up with (6) fairly big batteries ? 😁 Are they new or in good condition ?

All brand new in real packaging, also got 1 dual charger and 2 single chargers.

It was one of those crackhead, once in a lifetime deal you normally read online. But i got everything for next to no money.

Since then I've bought 1 hex impact, circular saw and now i'm looking at a mid-torque 1/2 impact wrench and a leaf blower.

It was more of a morbid curiosity thing than anything, but I recently mail-ordered a 20V lithium ion brushless 1/2" impact off the wallmart dot calm. It looks just like the "Ziss brand" 1/2" cordless impacts you'll see on youtube, but it has no label. It supposedly is compatible with Makita batteries. For $38 ($42 shipped), it came with a battery, a charger, a 22mm lugnut socket, a weird belt clip thing and a plastic case. It will zip the lug nuts off/on my Ram 1500 like nothing.

Ziss-Cordless-Electric-Impact-Wrench-12-Brushless-Wrench-Driver-800Nm-w-20V-Battery.jpg

I love my Makita tools, the impacts with the pin are much nicer than the hog ring style.
The mid size are my favorites by far I first got the XWT11Z then the XWT15 and 18Z, all do a great job and compact enough to be useful. The one I will not buy for any price (honestly for $50 never mind $320 they can keep it, it wont get used enough to justify the 50 bucks) is the large XWT08XVZ or any one that size and weight, they are too big to be very useful in most automotive work.

I'm debating on Mid torque (XTW17 400ishft-lb) or high torque (700ish ft-lb) as my next impact.

I have an air compressor and a decent air powered impact. I also have the M12 stubby (200ish ft-lb)

I'm a home garage mechanic that mainly does brake jobs and some light suspension, say control arms and ball joints. I also reach for the M12 but sometimes its lacking the ballbusting torque. THe IR2135 seems to get things done but size and air hose is sometimes an issue.
For home diy suspension and brakes...I'd go with mid-torque XTW17z, has way more than enough power also more usable with size

Try the XWT18Z instead, same tool but it uses a tapered pin that is really nice for holding the sockets and easy to remove them, much nicer to use than the hog ring style.
Sadly i got the 17z because i thought the pin would be too much work for automotive work.

So far loving the power and size.

Reactions: JC1
Back