Makita impact wrenches and other tools

I like my Makita’s, got a few sales right and now have a small stack of batteries, more than I’ll ever need. I am toying with getting a second 1/4” driver though. One for the wood workshop and one for the garage, only because I know I’ll get anything in the garage covered in motor oil.

I am not in love with the tire inflator though. It works but I feel like it’s not as good as it ought to be…. You can’t squeeze the trigger with a psi level set, and walk away while it inflates—the trigger has no hold/lock feature. Not only that but it always undershoots: I I set to 30psi, stop, wait a couple seconds and it drops to 28.5 or so. Probably just the way it is, the pressure gauge is on the wrong end of the hose. The inflator is worth having, don’t get me wrong, but I wouldn’t have it if I didn’t have the other Makita tools.

Sadly i got the 17z because i thought the pin would be too much work for automotive work.

So far loving the power and size.
Yes when I think of the old square pins they were a PITA and not fun to work with but Makita did something very cool, they tapered the pin making it not much harder to remove than and normal socket on a 1/2" ratchet. Sockets are still retained well especially if you line up the hole in the socket with the pin but are on and off easy enough and the pin does not get loose with age/use. Still there is nothing wrong with the hog ring, we have been using them for decades.

The power and size are great on that tool, I doubt you will need to get the bigger air tool out for too many jobs.

I love my Makita tools, the impacts with the pin are much nicer than the hog ring style.
The mid size are my favorites by far I first got the XWT11Z then the XWT15 and 18Z, all do a great job and compact enough to be useful. The one I will not buy for any price (honestly for $50 never mind $320 they can keep it, it wont get used enough to justify the 50 bucks) is the large XWT08XVZ or any one that size and weight, they are too big to be very useful in most automotive work.

I learned that when I was trying to use one like that (Milwaukee branded) on w123 suspension. I’ve bought an m12 stubby since.

I also learned early on that the claimed 1000 ft-lb means nothing when dealing with chemically corroded lug bolts. These electric guns cant get them off, while standing on a many foot cheater bar can. I still can’t fully comprehend that but it is what it is.

Tge big ones with super ratings appeal to the mind, but not to the practical realities of life.

for in the garage i use air guns, but of course battery power when it suits is convenient. the first corded makita screw guns were JUNK + short lived in the construction industry hangin dry wall + running almost a full 8 hr shift compared to costlier black + deckers that lasted a LONG time!!! things change + they make good tools i hope as i just received my 10" brushless XCU06 chain saw, a nice compact design for trimming + lighter cutting. have a great husqvarna 345 for several years but dont care to use it up a tree, time will tell!! i have several bosch battery tools but saw no chain saws. removing truck lugs is surely a good feat with a cheep walmart battery gun IMO

I learned that when I was trying to use one like that (Milwaukee branded) on w123 suspension. I’ve bought an m12 stubby since.

I also learned early on that the claimed 1000 ft-lb means nothing when dealing with chemically corroded lug bolts. These electric guns cant get them off, while standing on a many foot cheater bar can. I still can’t fully comprehend that but it is what it is.

Tge big ones with super ratings appeal to the mind, but not to the practical realities of life.
That sir is 100% spot on! The first time I used my Hazet compact air impact I was totally shocked by its power and speed, the thing is a little beast and I would replace it today if anything happened to it.
This very small gun gets into places bigger guns wont and remove almost anything yet on paper it does not have huge "nut busting" torque.

While I had the Accord in the garage today I tested out the XWT14 on a few lugnuts. They're 19mm torqued to about 80 ft-lbs. It zipped them off in an instant. The spec is 430 ft-lbs loosening, which one of the YouTube tool testers verified it could do, so I can't imagine there's anything on a normal vehicle this thing couldn't deal with (aside from JHZR2's chemically corroded fasteners).

jeff

If you google Makita tools you’ll see a full line of 18 V tools come up. I’m thinking they are still supporting the 18 V line. Having said that, your 18 V batteries are worth a lot but in real life you don’t need a lot of batteries unless you where a contractor so feel to start fresh with any of the tool suppliers. For the younger guys I would recommend they go with the newer higher voltage line and stick with one brand so they don't have to buy multiple batteries.

Last edited:
Long story short, I now have (6) 5.0aH Makita 18v batteries and no tools. I'm new to the line. I'm looking for a 1/2 in mid torque wrench but it seems like there are like a few models. Aside from homedepot and lowes, who carries this stuff normally.

I have a Hex driver and leaf blower on my list of things to buy. Anything else out there?

All my power tools were ni-cad and dead and I don't wish to try and use them. The only new tool I have is an M12 stubby in 3/8. I'm just an average DIY and shade tree mechanic that knows his limits. Is Makita a strong brand? From my research, they are popular overseas but not as big in the US market. Also heard they are pushing 40v and the 18v line will just die off soon.
Makita is a good brand. They are kind of expensive though. Personally, I would forget about Makita and go Milwaukee because youre already in the M12 line.
You could pick up a M12 jig saw, circular saw, drill or hammer drill and impact driver. You could then pick up a cheap corded random orbit sander (Ryobi, Craftsman, Black and Decker, etc) and have all the tools that you would ever need.

Makita is a good brand. They are kind of expensive though. Personally, I would forget about Makita and go Milwaukee because youre already in the M12 line.
You could pick up a M12 jig saw, circular saw, drill or hammer drill and impact driver. You could then pick up a cheap corded random orbit sander (Ryobi, Craftsman, Black and Decker, etc) and have all the tools that you would ever need.

The issue with deciding to go Milwaukee M12 (and I really like Milwaukee stuff) is that when picking the M12 (12V) line - you are deciding that 12V is enough - it may be for hand tools, but when the tools scale up (see a mitre saw in the M12 lineup?) - its no bueno.

The M12 5x3/8 (or any really) circular won't cut through a 2x4 at a 45 degree bevel without making 2 cuts.

You don't really get useful yard tools out that voltage (I dont see a hedger or string trimmer in that lineup) and are forced to adopt a second battery format for higher output tools. New charger(s) + X number new batteries = starting over.

With makita the 18V platform you open up the dual battery 36 Volt tools as well, giving you FAR wider range if usability without changing battery platforms away and losing compatibility and interchangeability with your hand tools.

Last edited:

I know what you mean I've been disappointed by all but this latest one which zipped off my rusted on boat trailer lugs with ease. Probably still doesnt equal a jack handle over a T bar, but its conquered everything I've thrown at it - so far.

With 44 tire wheel combos to manage in my fleet I needed something to minimize this chore, and took a flyer I wouldn't be disappointed.

Its about as delicate as a day in a super max prison though and beats you like it you owe it money. You can do it one handed but you'll feel it.

My older craftsman air unit was hopeless against most of these, but Ive only got 120 pounds of air.

Id like to try the midsize Hazet air wrench Clines got next.

IMG_2186.jpeg

Last edited:
So far Mrs. Uncle Dave feels the Makita 36V string trimmer setup is a slightly better performer than the Stihl FS-70.
She doesn't like the factory line but that will be gone soon.

Hedge trimmer up next ....

Screen Shot 2021-09-18 at 12.13.56 PM.jpg

Back