Makes you wan't to get a dashcam after seeing these video clips.

There was a video on the news 2-3 years ago of a head on collision in a mall parking lot. Other guy without the dashcam made and unsafe left turn in front of the guy with the dashcam. Other driver had the gall to say he was not at fault even when told he was on the dash cam.

Some of those drivers on that video see a vehicle coming over into traffic and they don't get into another lane, they act like they own the road. They don't even slow down. Poor driving IMO.

Dashcam vidoes are my favorite. They actually made me more aware of the driving styles of other drivers on the road. I eventually got my own since I drive so much as well. Better safe than sorry.

I'm confused about the clip at 2:30...the caption says "Man who ran my Ford off the road, " but to me it looks like the Silverado in the opposite lane was well in their own lane the whole time? I didn't even see the Silverado's tires near the center line. On the other hand, the dash cam driver looks like they are going too fast and may be straddling the line. To me it seems like the guy who hit the sign was 100% at fault for crashing into the sign.

Good vid!

Anyone have a good winter one that's recent?
I especially enjoy the ones from Russia with everyone driving Lada's from the 80s (despite being current day).

My sister got me interested in the world of dashcams a couple of years ago when she bought me a ROAV C1 dashcam for Christmas. It's a fairly entry-level model, but still shoots 1080p video, and has a fair number of features, including WiFi, which allows you to download video onto your phone instantly, and parking mode, which will allow the cam to start recording if there's vibration detected.

In fact, my wife left her doors unlocked once, and the cam recorded a perp as he walked off after opening the door and going through a backpack, stealing a few gift cards we'd received as wedding gifts. Unfortunately, the Nashville PD is so swamped with more serious crime, that we waited for hours for the PD to show up, and they never did. So, he's still out there. I actually posted the video here a while back.

For the wife's 4Runner, I recently bought and installed a more sophisticated model, the Viofo A129 ProDuo:

This is a 2-channel model that comes with a 4K front-facing cam, and a 1080p rear-facing cam. Has an automatic parking mode when you wire into your fusebox (easy to do using add-a-fuse connectors). The video quality is excellent, and this model is a great value at around $250. In fact, the video quality is said to be better than that of cameras by a couple of the industry leaders, ThinkWare, and Blackvue.

If you're interested, go to Vortex Radar's YouTube channel and watch the comparison videos he has.

The wife and I have both had our vehicles hit while parked, more than once, and the wife's Civic was rear-ended in December, totaling it, and the knucklehead who did it was pretty squirrelly, acting like he wanted to just leave (he told my wife before I got there that he thought there was only $200 worth of damage, and that he could fix it himself), so, I hope this will capture a license plate if it happens again.

I think these days, it's smart to have a dashcam.

Yup, I've got one in the Genesis. I just buy the Apeman ones on Amazon for $35-$40, great picture quality.

I've got one for the Jeep too but haven't installed it yet.

Watch these crazy videos every nite, Those russian drivers are the worst. :ROFLMAO:

Watch these crazy videos every nite, Those russian drivers are the worst. :ROFLMAO:
That's because most are intoxicated
No joke😐

I had a client once who after spending time in Russia admitted that the only way to understand life in Russia, is if you are drunk.
🥴

Yup, I've got one in the Genesis. I just buy the Apeman ones on Amazon for $35-$40, great picture quality.

I've got one for the Jeep too but haven't installed it yet.
I just looked these up. How exactly do they work? Internal memory, and/or removable memory card? How are they powered? I'm getting more and more interested in one every day.

I just looked these up. How exactly do they work? Internal memory, and/or removable memory card? How are they powered? I'm getting more and more interested in one every day.
Just stick a 32gb Micro SD card in it and basically that's it. It plugs into your cigarette lighter and has a really long cord. It runs along the trim under my dash and behind the glovebox (was very easy) and I have it tucked into the door rubber seal lip to run up along the passenger side door. Then it peeks out just a couple inches and I cheated and it runs under the passenger side visor.

The video runs for I think 3 minutes (you can adjust the length) and keeps starting new videos. The memory card stays full and kicks off the oldest video to make room for the newer one. It'll store a few hours of video so if you catch something and drive another hour, you've still got that video file. Once you set it up, you don't have to touch it again. I don't think I've even played with mine since last summer. It turns on with the car and records.

I just have it set to 1080p to save some space on the card for more video footage.

Ya. No. I don't want a dashcam. The legal liability is unknown nor do I want them required by insurance companies. I'm already worried about OTA "black box" monitoring were some automakers are thinking about teaming up with insurers.

Ya. No. I don't want a dashcam. The legal liability is unknown nor do I want them required by insurance companies. I'm already worried about OTA "black box" monitoring were some automakers are thinking about teaming up with insurers.
When we bought the 4Runner last month, we got an offer from Toyota Insurance to allow monitoring of our driving, which would then determine our insurance rates (the 4Runner is a 2021, and has some sophisticated monitoring and safety systems, like radar-based cruise control and collision prevention (it can totally stop the truck by itself).

I‘m not sure of the total extent of the parameters that would be monitored if we’d agreed to it. But I’m quite sure that the data they glean from it would be entered into a database that would then be shared with...other insurance companies, and....who knows who else.

No thanks.

When we bought the 4Runner last month, we got an offer from Toyota Insurance to allow monitoring of our driving, which would then determine our insurance rates (the 4Runner is a 2021, and has some sophisticated monitoring and safety systems, like radar-based cruise control and collision prevention (it can totally stop the truck by itself).

I‘m not sure of the total extent of the parameters that would be monitored if we’d agreed to it. But I’m quite sure that the data they glean from it would be entered into a database that would then be shared with...other insurance companies, and....who knows who else.

No thanks.
I had no idea Toyota offered insurance. I'm sure it's through a regular insurance company, but that's interesting.

I have State Farm and actually agreed to the "Drive Safe and Save" thing. My vehicles are old, so they have little Bluetooth "beacons" that collect the info and send it off through the app on my phone. State Farm says it is not used to determine rates and is only a reward system for good driving, but you make a good point that surely they use all this data for something and not just to give me a discount. I didn't really think much of it at sign up, it was just a "sure, whatever" thing, but my driving is generally a lot calmer than it used to be too.

I just went into the app...the Ranger isn't getting a discount due to speeding. The Explorer got $12 off, but I think something is wrong with its beacon because the trip where I wound it out to 6K RPM yesterday was not showing in the log and that definitely would have counted as an "event." :ROFLMAO:

I had no idea Toyota offered insurance. I'm sure it's through a regular insurance company, but that's interesting.

I have State Farm and actually agreed to the "Drive Safe and Save" thing. My vehicles are old, so they have little Bluetooth "beacons" that collect the info and send it off through the app on my phone. State Farm says it is not used to determine rates and is only a reward system for good driving, but you make a good point that surely they use all this data for something and not just to give me a discount. I didn't really think much of it at sign up, it was just a "sure, whatever" thing, but my driving is generally a lot calmer than it used to be too.

I just went into the app...the Ranger isn't getting a discount due to speeding. The Explorer got $12 off, but I think something is wrong with its beacon because the trip where I wound it out to 6K RPM yesterday was not showing in the log and that definitely would have counted as an "event." :ROFLMAO:
Interesting topic for sure!

Probably deserves its own thread.

With all the crazy stuff I see out on the road on a daily basis, there's no way I'd drive any car without dash cam(s)

I have an entire youtube channel dedicated to clips from my commute

Here are a few:

This could have been fatal from my drive home after work a couple of years ago. All our four vehicles come equipped with dashcams. Slowly upgrading to two channel cams.

Back