Maintenance on new to me 2001 Ram 1500

Status
Not open for further replies.
I ran into a deal from a guy I work with on an 01 Ram quad cab 4x4. He was the original purchaser. Truck has 97k on it. Its in good shape and I want it to last
This is gonna be for my 17 year old son. I want opinions on what to do to keep it reliable.

So far, I have:
1. O/C with Rotella T5
2. Pan drop/ filter with Valvoline atf+4 and adjusted bands.
3. Drain/fill front/rear diffs w Mobil1
4. Drain/fill transfer case with Valvoline dex3
5. Flushed ps with Redline
6. Replaced brake hoses and flushed system
7. Water pump/thermostat and new hoses with coolant flush
8. Serpenine belt
9. Seafoam through the vacuum off the brake booster
9. All new Moog ball joints...had help with this only!

Will do the following when parts arrive:
1. Tune up- plugs,wires, cap and button
2. Transmission governor solenoid...this was recommended on a dodge forum. No issues just pm.
3. Magnefine atf filter
4. New idler pulleys
5. PVC valve

Can anyone think of anything else preventive maintenance wise? Also, this is my 1st Dodge truck. That being said, is there any quirks with this model I should be aware of?

Thank you

If your going to do the Governor pressure solenoid, Change the Governor pressure sensor as well. It is recommended to change them as a pair.

Check the front axle disconnect vacuum lines.
Check the Cruise Servo Vacuum line (Battery acid eats them up).
Always use a windshield sunshade, The dash cracking is very common on the model.

Last edited:
Good to see you're taking care of the transmission. That's probably what'll kill the truck first regardless of what you do, is the transmission. Treat it well and it should last a little bit longer.

Clinebarger, I actually ordered the kit that comes with the solenoid and sensor. I have never done this before..any secret tips?

Originally Posted By: fixit301
I ran into a deal from a guy I work with on an 01 Ram quad cab 4x4. He was the original purchaser. Truck has 97k on it. Its in good shape and I want it to last
This is gonna be for my 17 year old son. I want opinions on what to do to keep it reliable.

So far, I have:
1. O/C with Rotella T5
2. Pan drop/ filter with Valvoline atf+4 and adjusted bands.
3. Drain/fill front/rear diffs w Mobil1
4. Drain/fill transfer case with Valvoline dex3
5. Flushed ps with Redline
6. Replaced brake hoses and flushed system
7. Water pump/thermostat and new hoses with coolant flush
8. Serpenine belt
9. Seafoam through the vacuum off the brake booster
9. All new Moog ball joints...had help with this only!

Will do the following when parts arrive:
1. Tune up- plugs,wires, cap and button
2. Transmission governor solenoid...this was recommended on a dodge forum. No issues just pm.
3. Magnefine atf filter
4. New idler pulleys
5. PVC valve

Can anyone think of anything else preventive maintenance wise? Also, this is my 1st Dodge truck. That being said, is there any quirks with this model I should be aware of?

Thank you

You've got most of it done.

I didn't see throttle body cleaning (Idle Air control cleaning if applicable).
I would also clean the battery terminals (apply some dielectric grease or vaseline to the posts afterwards) and top up the batter water with distilled water if it's a low maintenance battery. How about cleaning the AC Condensor (if the AC is working properly). I usually just spray mine with a degreaser and then hose it down.

Regards, JC.

I agree with the ATF statement. I got the valvoline in one of those 20% off whatever you put in the bucket at NAPA. it was cheaper than the house brand after the discount.

You're going to need gas. Lots of it...
frown.gif

Originally Posted By: fixit301
Clinebarger, I actually ordered the kit that comes with the solenoid and sensor. I have never done this before..any secret tips?

At the rate these sensors fail...I'm sure it's no secret & several write-up's are online.
Remove the pan, Remove the bracket that holds the solenoid & sensor...3 standard 7/16" headed cap screws, & 2 Torx headed cap screws (forget the size). Remove the solenoid & sensor, Reverse the order to install.

Add a drain plug to the trans pan to facilitate easier, more frequent fluid changes. A transmission fluid external cooler would be a good idea if the truck does not already have one. How are the front and rear brake pads/shoes? Sounds like you have it well covered though.

I would go ahead and replace that redline psf with atf+4. dodge power steering units are made for atf+4, not psf. my 05 ram 1500's power steering pump died from use of the incorrect fluid (installed by my father).

Thanks for all the input. I went ahead and flushed the power steering with atf+4. I DIDNT notice a difference, which is a good thing

I installed the PCV valve today. Went ahead and replaced the throttle position sensor also.

Wow! The truck ran good but after the tps, it is night and day! Im covering every inch of the truck getting it ready for my son. He's helping and we are having fun together!

Sounds like you got everything on that list. I've done most of those things to my Ram. I was happy to hear that the previous owner already replaced the ball joints before I bought it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back