Maintenance in general

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think that we all want to do the right thing when it comes to maintaining our cars (trucks, boats, bikes, rigs, tractors, etc.)

We try to make sure that we get the best parts we can based on our research and tips from good people on websites like BITOG, and so-on.

It is scary though that we also get nervous if we don't follow the manufacturer's recommended maintenance schedule when we intelligently perform DIY services ahead of schedule because they should be.

Face it, cars have become relatively expensive for most to own, let alone maintain. Resources such as oil and petroleum based products have become more expensive. There are also environmental concerns when it comes to emissions and the disposal of used parts & equipment. We also know that resources are also not infinite.

To meet these demands & concerns, the mfg has set service schedule to higher mileage / date change intervals. Longer OCI's, for example, means less oil used, the ability to handle disposal needs, and lower maintenance costs over the life of the car.

But there is also the marketing efforts to get people to continue to consume these higher priced cars.

Leasing is a good example. The cost to enter a lease is relatively low, say a few thousand dollars (first & last month's lease payment and an effective lease entry cost), and then the monthly payments are also relatively low.

Many leases come with "free" oil changes, and most cars come with a 36/36 bumper-to-bumper warranty. Many leases go over the 36/36 period, but usually by a few months and with the extended maintenance intervals, the lessee does not make it to the next scheduled service and thus never realizes the true cost of maintaining the car.

Financing to own is another story. We all know that when you buy a car, you're paying for the full cost of the vehicle and not a portion as with a lease. In this case you're putting down, let's say, a big down payment (lease is small) so that your monthly payments are not so high (but much higher than that of a lease).

Regardless of your financing needs (lease or own) the mfg may still offer "free" oil changes and the basic 36/36 bumper-to-bumper warranty. This is good because your wallet just got a whole lot lighter with your finance to own.

Remember though that the service intervals are longer so this helps ease the pain of the lightening of your wallet. You're also happy because you have 100k spark-plugs, and 100k gear oil, and a 50k mile fuel filter, and so on.

More than likely you're only going to keep the car for say 6 to 7-years. You're sticking to the recommended service intervals and so your maintenance costs have been relatively low.

You also drive in an "ordinary" manner (or just don't care) and so again the recommended serivce intervals apply.

I drive my car to and from work, to go places near and far, to get me to see my friends and family, to help out others, and to go for a drive. Thus I place a variety of demands and the like on the car and I'm very aware that the service intervals will not be that of what is recommended.

We all know that there is no harm in changing your oil & filter more often if it's needed. As a result of the more frequent OCI's consumption goes up and so does the amount of waste oil to dispose of. Follow the recommended OCI @ every 7k, 10k or 15k miles and more wear and sludging occurs but waste oil disposals go down?

Spark plugs do not last forever. Change them to maintain your engine's performance. Change them too because new or newer plugs aide in the emissions process, minimize depositing with a better burn and in many cases the double-platinums, for example, are needed as a part of the "limp home mode".

Change the cabin air filter 2x a year. I live here in New England and it gets changed in the spring after a sandy, salty, dirty and thus dusty winter and in the fall after going through a couple of pollen cycles, dust in general, and the drying and decay of autumn.

Change the fuel filter every 10k miles. It's inexpensive insurance. Keep down depositing and clogging of the injectors and keep from replacing the injectors sooner (barring any mechanical wear or defects). At one time or another the then cost of 8 injectors on my Mustang 5.0 was around $900. I never had a clogging or deposit problem and I lucked out without having a mechanical problem with them.

I don't think that the mfg/dealer wants to really say that: So, you just spent 30-40k for your car and the plugs are $18.00 each and you need four and that they should be replaced every 40k miles for optimal performance and emissions control.

Or perhaps they could recommend synthetic oil in your car after, say, the first 5k miles because it's better for the engine (which they won't because they want you to have engine wear and sludge problems) however it's 7.00/quart.

Since you are aware that you drive your car in the real world you are also are aware that you're going to have to do the service intervals more frequently.

And what was this rant I just read supposed to accomplish? I just lost 10min of my life on that thing....

I think in a way that car manufacturers can't win.

If they allow a long interval between changing oil/plugs/whatever, I hear "Are they nuts? It might technically last that long, but it'll be murder on the long-term life of the car. They're trying to sneakily wreck our cars so we'll buy a new one sooner!"

If they specify a *short* interval, then it's "Are they nuts? Modern parts are so much better than they used to be. They must be living in the 50s still. They're trying to make us feed money to the parts suppliers!"

I guess everyone has pre-conceived notions on how often maintenance should be done, and we don't like to hear someone challenging it. Me too, I'll admit it. Not at all slamming you.
wink.gif
But I know for every person like you that recommends 10k fuel filter changes, someone else will say they have 170k on theirs and it's still going strong. Who do I follow?
dunno.gif
Everyone needs to figure out their own peace-of-mind threshold.

yea, 10 k on the fuel filter is a huge overkill. I go at least 30,000 but I feel that you can go double that without problems, never had an issue with filters or injectors as yet.

Also, plugs, I have gone 60,000 many times with no problems and will push 100,000 in the future, sorry 40,000 if overkill unless you can see a performance change.

no evidnece that longer OCI increase wear or cause sludge, they certainly have not done either in my case.

times have changed as to quality of filters, lubricants and the parts they service, consumers must also change their service habits to get optimum bang for the buck

I would recommend 15k on a fuel filter and the same for air filter and ATF service. I let my fuel filter go to 26.7k and the gasoline on the tank side was black. I use Top Tier gasolines like Philips 66. Car is a '94 Impala SS. We all drive in 'Severe Service' conditons.

Don't forget a regular brake fluid flush (if your car maker recommends it, and maybe even if they don't). That stuff can get pretty filthy in there.

Check the distilled water in your battery as needed, too. I bought my car in July of '04. In August I checked the water (the battery is in the trunk), and found the cells were practically dry!

I change my cabin filter every year, but I found I was wasting money changing the air filter every 12 months/9500 miles too. M-B recommends 50K miles, believe it or not. (I'll shoot for every two years.)

It is not good to replace your filters early unless you have some unusual circumstance that may have clogged them. Filters work better as they age, filtering out smaller and smaller particles. Unless there is a known problem, you want to leave them on.

Changing a fuel filter saves the fuel pump from overworking to supply the car with gas. I'd say thats worth $5.

One thing through all the reading on lubrication and engine operating conditions designs...there's always a compromise, and such is the case in the argument for changing filters (the fuel filter in this case). One says to leave the filter in seemingly to the point of symptoms showing hinting otherwise, as greater filtration efficiency will result as it loads up with contaiminents. Another argues the point that the increased load of the filter will place greater demands on the fuel pump which may have the potential to shorten it's life. It could be argued that both points are correct, but perhaps not to equal degrees for which allowances are designed into each component, along with all the other factors that could be working against the object/system of discussion and bring about fate in an entirely unexpected way (chemical corrosion, manufacture defect, vandalism, accident, etc.).

Attention with maintenance could have many reasons and many various focal points (this site happens to be about lubrication, for one). in reflection of self, constraints and emotional influence seem to be reasons (being "green", looking clean and polished, oosing of performance, etc.), whose logic could also be anything but direct. We are human after all and there are a lot of messages/experiences going around.

quote:

Originally posted by Dominic:
Changing a fuel filter saves the fuel pump from overworking to supply the car with gas. I'd say thats worth $5.

Different cars, different filters. A toyota fuel filter is a 25-30 dollar part and is good for more than 200,000 miles if you don't put bad gas in it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back