Maine Drivers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Fifth87
Originally Posted By: pandus13
... It is still a thing that shoulder is a legal passing lane at rush-hour? ...
Yup, still a thing to relieve congestion.
Shoulder passing around stopped left-turners seems to be effectively legal in Jersey. It's very common, and does relieve congestion somewhat, although when I had to take the driver's license test there, the official handbook said specifically it was illegal. When my neighbor signaled a right turn and started making a right turn into a driveway, a driver trying to pass on his right hit him. Cop let her off, because she said she assumed he was making a left turn onto the side street directly opposite the driveway. ???

Last edited:
Question answered: Maine has the oldest population of any state in the U.S. Their driving skills (lack thereof), poor reaction times and compromised judgement along with cognitive decline are a loud cry for mandatory driver's license re-testing. Can you tell I was nearly t-boned by one who ran a stop sign into a 45 mph straightaway yesterday?

Last edited:
Florida has almost two and a half times more residents over 65 than Maine has people...so a higher percentage per capita in Maine will likely still mean you won't be near them as much. Florida and Maine are similar in percentage of residents over 65 depending on what ranking you look at. I'll take those numbers any day over 9 million people in a 50 mile radius or a state where the population is 1 in 8 of all Americans.

Originally Posted By: javacontour
What's up with them? Seems the Subaru driving crowd was the worst.

Just got back on Saturday from 9 days in ME and NH. Visited Acadia, Mt Washington and other spots such as the Bangor, ME Police Department. Not that I was in trouble, I had to see the Duck of Justice mentioned on their Facebook page. https://www.facebook.com/bangormainepolice/

While I loved ME, and sorry about bringing the STL like weather to your area last week, the drivers about drove us crazy.

Seems I'm not alone thinking they are bad: http://hashtagmaine.bangordailynews.com/...-worst-drivers/

Did the Suby drivers per chance have the Rainbow or Baldacci or Bernie stickers on the back LOL
Were they on 95 going to Augusta?

What you ran into was the Liberal save the planet crowd, who drive at or below the speed limit, often do so in the high speed lane. actully the Prius drivers are the worst, also look out for any driver in a car/van with the blue state house plate commuting to Augusta these are the reps, mostly Dems or greens; on the other hand dont worry about the blue plate if it is on a truck or SUV, those are the good guys who speed to the state house and are not trying to save the planet or slow your commute.

http://wcyy.com/new-study-says-maine-drivers-amongst-worst-in-the-entire-country/

http://hashtagmaine.bangordailynews.com/...-talking-about/

So some beautiful country, some really nice people and more than their fair share of bad drivers.

I'll have to review the Nissan Armada we had for the trip too.

Maybe El-Hefe could chime in. Perhaps I should have asked him in advance so I was ready for the experience
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: javacontour
What's up with them? Seems the Subaru driving crowd was the worst.

Oh don't get me started on Subaru drivers... Here in the mountains they're known for poking along 5-10mph under on flats and riding their brakes all the way down the mountain. Just last night there was one going 45 in a 55 and it took everything my S10 had to get around them, lol. Then you get the WRX and STI drivers that are zipping around 100mph. Seems there's no happy medium.

It also appears the elderly have switched from Buick to Honda as their vehicle of choice, as everytime you pass a slow Honda it's someone waay past their prime. I have things to see, people to do, no time to be lollygagging.

Then you cross the border into Maryland and things get even more frustrating...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: exranger06
The only thing I noticed about Maine drivers is that they will not slow down and rubberneck when there's an accident on the other side of the highway. In CT, traffic would be backed up for miles for no good reason at all; just people being nosy.

I hate that. Nothing like sitting in traffic for an hour to realize two cars bumped with no damage.

We spent very little time on the interstates, well until Friday and Saturday when we were on our way to Portsmouth, NH and a stay at the Wentworth.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back