Main Street, Deadwood, Dakota Territory, 1877

GON

$100 Site Donor 2024
Main Street, Deadwood, Dakota Territory, 1877. Imagine Main Street as the snow thawed..... Mud and rut roadway. Great to study the business/ signs from that time in in "wild west".
316114483_474245071536945_7996909628313419509_n (1).jpg

My grandfather was born there in the 1920s. Product of an affair in the Monticello, Utah area. Mother ran to Deadwood to have the baby. Father denied involvement, family denies to this day.

a) I wonder what the photographer's location (a hill or mound, apparently) was.
b) I'd love to see the views turned 90 degrees to each side so we could see the store fronts.
c) At least there was one Texaco station -on the right side beneath the 'drug store' sign.
d) Notice the barrels atop so many of the buildings. How were those filled? Was there gravity fed water to the kitchens or loos?
e) Did they have septic systems or feted cesspools?
f) With all the manure, would it've made a difference?
g) WHAT! Not a single nail nail or threading salon! Barbaric!

a) I wonder what the photographer's location (a hill or mound, apparently) was.
b) I'd love to see the views turned 90 degrees to each side so we could see the store fronts.
c) At least there was one Texaco station -on the right side beneath the 'drug store' sign.
d) Notice the barrels atop so many of the buildings. How were those filled? Was there gravity fed water to the kitchens or loos?
e) Did they have septic systems or feted cesspools?
f) With all the manure, would it've made a difference?
g) WHAT! Not a single nail nail or threading salon! Barbaric!
Kira,

Good point to want to have different angles of the pictures- one can see the picture was taken from a higher elevation than the town.

Of note- that is not a Texaco sign- it is a sign for a boot dealer.

Anyone notice some of the buildings had a fire suppression method, an early and primitive sprinkler system?

Back