Mahle OC84, 1974 BMW 2002

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mahle OC84 off of our '74 BMW 2002. Approx. 1K miles with M1 20w-50.

Very well made filter. Dense media, even pleats, very thick base plate and the end plates, center tube and integral pressure relief valve are one piece of relatively thick steel. The PRV is unusual, mounted at the base plate end, you can just make out the spring and the flow ports in the center tube.

Replaced with a German made Mann & Hummel.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Even at 2 year why an OC at 1 k.

If there is no coolant in oil from gasket service I would say no requirement

Oil is stable and doesn't mind sitting there for a decade doing nothing

More driving and less oil changing!

Originally Posted by ARCOgraphite
Even at 2 year why an OC at 1 k.

If there is no coolant in oil from gasket service I would say no requirement

Oil is stable and doesn't mind sitting there for a decade doing nothing

More driving and less oil changing!

Agree, but this car has an engine issue; loose timing chain, it is a bit clattery. I bought the car because it is an otherwise completely original, straight, lower mileage, rust free California car and I planned on engine work at some point. I wanted to see what was in the filter (bit of gray metal) and on the drain plug (more gray metal). Not critical and not unexpected, but I wanted to take a look. I will probably not change the oil until I address the motor in the next year or so.
[Linked Image]

well, original except for later wheels and the steering wheel I replaced for inspection....need to figure out a way to fix molded in horn buttons on the original.

Always loved the 2002. I'm a big glass 2 box guy. As a kid drove Fiat 128 - though those were FWD

Man, Bangle destroyed BMW styling

Now, back to the 2002.

In 1976. Had a bit of a time replacing a clutch slave cylinder on my Friends Father's car that was seized into the bore on the bell housing. Bit of cussing "German engineering" that day.

Also required the rubber doughnut on the prop shaft. U-joint replaced . - Don forget this part

Cheers!

Last edited:
I have fond memories of my first car.....a 1982 BMW 315.....close brother of the 2002....had 150K on the clock and lots of blowby but ran like a champ with some STP oil additive
smile.gif

I loved my silver '74. Shouldve held onto it, but used that money to start my shop, so I guess its a solid investment. A guy I used to work for has a light yellow Alpina 2002 tii, just sitting, and an E30 M3 in pieces. Dying to get my hands on them.

Thanks for your service Passport.

Yes, I've done a few of the guibo joints in my life. Learned not to unwrap them before install too.

I normally avoid buying an engine problem, but this one was in special condition; no prior owner 'improvements'.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I had the same CoCo mats. The owner's manual was a hoot. It featured a father showing his young son around the car. How many times did I have that valve cover off to adjust the valves? BMW has morphed into something I don't understand.

dang, I need a time machine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back