Mahindra diesel truck--30 mpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Probably good for rural areas with few other vehicles. I wouldn't want one for city use, it'd probably be destroyed quickly in a minor fender-bender.

Originally Posted By: sciphi
Probably good for rural areas with few other vehicles. I wouldn't want one for city use, it'd probably be destroyed quickly in a minor fender-bender.

Maybe if they incorperated some of their tractor DNA it would destroy other vehicles in a fender bender?
I doubt its a pickup built like a tractor though, I think they would be interesting for people who don't live in the rust belt but I'd rather just have the diesel aussie versions of the Ford Ranger. Last time I checked the price and exchange rates it came around $21K CAN for a quad cab, real 4x4, turbo diesel...

I'm interested, there's a lot I like about it, I think it's in a niche that has been lost in North America (an economical, working Pickup)

I'd feel better with a clone that, for example, shares a tranny bellhousing pattern with something else. And a standard shift or 4 speed automatic as their first transmission in America.

Yugo kept it real with a stick shift until the very end!

So who's importing this Mahindra? Bricklin?
lol.gif

Originally Posted By: expat
I'm interested, there's a lot I like about it, I think it's in a niche that has been lost in North America (an economical, working Pickup)

The problem with your theory is that thing would not be a working truck. My sneakers are bigger( don't laugh = 16EEEE )

I like the concept. Hopefully it will be successful enough to make Ford reconsider the 4.4L V8 in the half ton and the diesel Ranger to the states.

It looks like they have all the refinement of a side by side ATV.

I like the diesel/6-speed idea, but the rest of the truck...not so much.

Looks neat, at least they are offering diesel at a decent price point. I just don't like how the pickup's look.

Neat trucks. We started a thread on them a couple years ago when they first mentioned potentially bringing them to the US.

Lol go to youtube, and type in "chinese car crash test" And you will never, ever want to buy one of these. Chinese and similar cars, have very very poor crash test rating. How do you think they managed to get the price down, and manage to get it good gas mileage (besides the diesel?) Very low weight, because of very little reinforcements. I would never consider buying one, especially considering where they will be assembled. (Hint: Not the US, Canada or mexico, or even Germany)

Last edited by a moderator:
According to the Aussie Mahindra website these trucks weigh over 4000 lbs. That's pretty dang heavy for a "small" pickup. Light-weight they ain't.

Yea, they are being built in India (which is way better than China in my book) but supposedly they're trying to find an unused plant in the U.S. (can't imagine that's a problem) to assemble the parts here so they can avoid the 25% "chicken tax".

Originally Posted By: NHHEMI
Originally Posted By: expat

The problem with your theory is that thing would not be a working truck. My sneakers are bigger( don't laugh = 16EEEE )

It's said to be the size of a Toyota Tacoma, 7'2" Bed with a 1.3 Ton Payload!
Not so keen on the Automatic though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back