Magnuson-Moss question - Dealership practices

FWIW...I use both Autosist and the manufacturer's owner's website to document maintenance. All receipts are documented in Autosist and all information is entered on the day of service. The Kia owner's site service intervals are off because they recommend 8K mile OCIs and I'm doing 5K mile OCIs but you can document the actual mileage too. If they ever felt the need to look inside the engine, it will look like a well-maintained engine using high-quality oil at 5k mile OCIs. Autosist will print out a nice report including all receipts. While anything is possible for a dealership to claim, I think it would be hard to argue that not only was the maintenance done on my vehicles, it was done in excess of what was minimally required.

View attachment 218960View attachment 218961View attachment 218962

I've been using the Fordpass app to track everything done to the Mustangs. I figure that's about the best backup in case something happens. Kia has Kia Access but there's a subscription involved, and I don't know yet if it's got a maintenance tracking feature.

Screenshot_20240512-071621.jpg

The above sites are free, easy to use, Autosist exports nice reports, and I don't have to hold onto paper receipts. To each their own...
I get it but folks can also go old school if they want without fear of warranty denial was my point. I just use a spreadsheet.

I get it but folks can also go old school if they want without fear of warranty denial was my point. I just use a spreadsheet.
The other thing I like is Autosist has a history log feature that shows the date and time of all of the entries and these entries can not be altered by the user - one more piece of data to support what I said happened, in fact happened, when I said it did.

Image 5-12-24 at 8.39 AM.jpeg

I told him as he was explaining this to me that I would need to re-read the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act about it to see where his statements fit in, but the answer is no.

They removed the $3,000 "Kia Care" from my estimate. They clearly count on a certain percentage of the population to be ignorant on these matters.
How many miles/years was the plan? $3000 sounds absolutely ridiculous unless it is a 10yrs/100K.

I bet more people than you think do these services plans. Probably because they can roll the maintenance costs into the loan. Then it is just the car payment, gas and insurance for the ahwile. Ext warranties, services plans, probably some negative equity. No wonder car payments are out of control.

My dad had a small notebook, only about 2x3 maybe, kept in the glove box of each car. Had "oil changes" written on the cover. Inside each line had mm/dd/yy and x,xxx mi. That was 40-70 years ago when he did his own changes. That was in the 3mo/3k miles days. Never had a problem over many cars and a few decades. Doesn't take a lot to have a record.

How many miles/years was the plan? $3000 sounds absolutely ridiculous unless it is a 10yrs/100K.
To be honest, that detail escapes me because I fogged over about a quarter of the way through his speech. I remember there being a set number of oil changes, but I don't remember how long the wheels, tires, fobs, etc. were covered.

My dad had a small notebook, only about 2x3 maybe, kept in the glove box of each car. Had "oil changes" written on the cover. Inside each line had mm/dd/yy and x,xxx mi. That was 40-70 years ago when he did his own changes. That was in the 3mo/3k miles days. Never had a problem over many cars and a few decades. Doesn't take a lot to have a record.
That's all I do- except everything is logged, seasonal tire changes, MAP cleaning, air filter clean, oil changes, etc.

The few times that has been pulled on me, I just tell them to type up what they said and claim on the dealership letterhead and get me a GM signature attesting to it and I will bite. They spit and sputter a few more minutes and then it gets dropped.

Back