Magnets on oil filters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks Patman, I'd be interested in Terry's opinion also.

Chris, I'm thinking you are right. If an oil filter can trap the really big stuff, the drain maganet will grab the rest, no matter how small, or grab the metals before they get into the filter.

What the spectrograph is showing from the used oil analysis is the amount of "elemental" material (Iron or ferrous materials, chromium, etc) suspended as ultrafine particles (molecular size) in the oil, in solution, while the "solids" reading should pick up anything larger than say 10u.

The magnet is picking materials that are not in solution but in suspension.

The Super Magnet drain plug (neodymium) indeed works. It filters from .01 angstrom up through chunks and clunks of ferrous, which means iron and steel, which means stuff which is even more abrasive than silicon (dirt). The most plentiful metal in an engine is iron/steel. By constantly pulling out the complete size spectrum, we are constantly reducing the flight of the dodo bird; i.e. we are reducing the self-destructive, self generating component which in turn attacks the steel + softer bearing materials in bearings, etc.
www.avlube.com/ or Bob's order site carries certain of the neodymium plugs. Each and every oil change turns into an instant oil analysis as you can wipe the debris on a Bounty paper towel and then examine with a $10 Radio Trash magnifer with light to determine just what is on the magnet.. Very, very worthwhile..
George Morrison, STLE CLS

So George,(or anyone else), how do I get a magnetic drain plug in a non-standard size? The ham-fisted %#@$&*%@+^& at local svc station sripped my oil pan(aluminum, factory) ~15-16 months ago, now has a "one size over" self tapping plug in it(Oil-Tite, dunno # but I could find it). That's why I began changing my own oil again! I just put a magnetic drain plug in my Mtx when I changed the fluid 3 days ago.

quote:

Originally posted by GeorgeCLS:

Each and every oil change turns into an instant oil analysis as you can wipe the debris on a Bounty paper towel and then examine with a $10 Radio Trash magnifer with light to determine just what is on the magnet.. Very, very worthwhile..
George Morrison, STLE CLS

I've noticed that I wipe the usual brown gunk off the threads and gasket face of the plug, and the magnet holds black gunk. It clearly is picking up ferrous material.

Ken

Richard, try looking at a good auto parts store, Oil-Tite sells magnetic plugs in many standard thread sizes, they probably make one in 12x1.5. It's not a superstrong magnet, but should attract ferrous cooties well enough.

quote:

Originally posted by GeorgeCLS:
It filters from .01 angstrom

The Bohr radius (an approximation to the size of a hydrogen atom) is about 0.5 angstrom. I think someone let the marketing department loose again.

rolleyes.gif

Hello ,
I just bought a cast aluminum oversize transmission pan for my Van , I tow heavy in the summer and am wondering how I can use some type of magnet in my transmission pan , I thought about buying a strong magnet , maybe from Radio Shack and epoxing in to the bottom of the pan , but am afraid eventually the transmission oil will break down the epoxy ... any ideas on any of this ? thanks , Larry
confused.gif

Larry, does the pan vendor have any suggestions? I'm sure they've heard this one before. Trans pans often have magnets in them already.

You're right about the epoxy. I'm sure something would work but I wouldn't trust it without some study.

Know a weldor? A magnet cage wouldn't be too difficult.

How about a magnetic drain plug? Or, a magnetic filter like the magnefine?

David

Larry,
How about 2 magnets that are strong enough to keep each other in place thru the aluminum? Then you could epoxy both the one on the inside & the one on the outside. That way, if the epoxy inside broke down it would still be held in place by the outside magnet.

Larry, Just epoxy the magnet to the outside of the pan. Whether the pan is aluminum or iron, especially aluminum, the field of a typical strong magnet is strong enough to extend through the pan so there's no need to put it inside the pan. I did this myself for a while. If you feel you must put the magnet inside the pan, epoxy it in place with JB WELD. It's available at auto parts stores. I made my own magnetic oil drain plug years ago and the JB Weld still looks like new. It holds up to hot oils and gas better than anything else I've seen, and I tested quite a few adhesives from the local auto parts store.

I bought these little rare earth magnets about 0.5" in diameter. They weigh roughly 3 grams and can lift 3000 grams.

I got them on sale and plan to put them on the ATF pan (1 for each vehicle) and 1 on the oil filter to catch whatever metal particles before they reach the media.

The reason I'd put the mags on the oil filter is because they're disposable. I wouldn't plan on taking the oil pan off anytime in this lifetime.

On the tranny pan I'd take it off every 15k-30k so it wouldn't matter - PLUS usually Fords already have magnets in there.

[ December 27, 2002, 02:09 PM: Message edited by: metroplex ]

I appreciate all the responses , will investigate all the suggestions , considering putting an aftermarket tranny oil filter , canister type , might look into going with the wrap around magnets , by magnafine ,,, thanks again ... Larry
cheers.gif

I am not sure...these magnets may be good......for my Harley I buy special high capacity oil filters from Custome Chrome that have a magnet in the center on the outlet side of the filter. The oil has to go around this magnet to go back into the tank (oil filters on Harley's are on the oil return side to the oil tank). These magnets are always covered with the same kind on fuzz that's on magnetic oil drain plugs. So they do clean something out that the filter does not hold.

On the Ford 5.0 and 4.6 oil filters or any standard oil filter - does the oil ever flow near the external shell especially the base of the oil filter?

ttt

actually in other words, where's the best place to put the magnet(s)?

[ December 29, 2002, 09:46 PM: Message edited by: metroplex ]

I'd guess the best place for the magnet is on the oil screen on the pick-up.

Bit hard to check/change 'though.

quote:

Originally posted by Larry B.:
Hello ,
I just bought a cast aluminum oversize transmission pan for my Van , I tow heavy in the summer and am wondering how I can use some type of magnet in my transmission pan , I thought about buying a strong magnet , maybe from Radio Shack and epoxing in to the bottom of the pan , but am afraid eventually the transmission oil will break down the epoxy ... any ideas on any of this ? thanks , Larry
confused.gif

Get two from http://www.turbo-mag.ca
One for your transmission pan, the other for oil filter. you're not likely to need the epoxy.
Sean.

quote:

Originally posted by Sean:

quote:

Originally posted by Larry B.:
Hello ,
confused.gif

Get two from http://www.turbo-mag.ca
One for your transmission pan, the other for oil filter. you're not likely to need the epoxy.
Sean.

Sean ,You have a total of 4 posts on BITOG so far.Every one has had a link to this magnet thinggy.Are you a user or a dealer?
This is why we don't allow links(YET) to non-sponser sites.
Can you see where this place would end up if every buisness would post their link for sales pages.Free advertising and nobody paying the electric bill on this site.
As a user of products,I would like more exchange of information about a product on the board.Not just drop a link and run.
I'll let the link stay for a short time because it doesn't compete against a current site sponser.
Mark

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back