Magnetic drain plug .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Plan to install Magnefine Trans filter.While @ it like to replace drain OEM drain plug with a magnetic plug.Its on an aisin AF-33 TRANS .Anyone know were to get one, or the thread size,It would be nice to get it before draining fluid .

I hear they work alright but i wont use one.
I couldn't sleep well knowing i am trusting a part that cost upwards of 5K on a bypass valve in that little plastic filter.

Unlike the engine there is no little red light or gauge for low transmission oil pressure.

I sorta agree with Trav. The transmission should have some sort of magnet inside already, to collect metallic bits. I installed a high quality magnetic drain plug and it captures a TON of stuff. I clean it out every time I do a transmission flush. It's much safer then a filter.

A few cars I have messed with had doughnut shaped magnets in the bottom of the drain pan. Usually, they were located around dimples in the bottom of the pan. If your pan has those indentations in the bottom of it chances are good you have one or more of those round magnets. They are very strong and do seem to pick up a fair amount of very fine black particles.

Problem is that droping the pan is not an option.It's a pain just changing the fluid.All that I asked if someone knew the thread on the drain plug .Thank U

There are three huge magnets on the drain pan already. Putting a magnetic drain plug is a waste IMO as it's so much smaller and redundant anyway. Take that money and do another drain/fill, that has the added benefit of removing non-ferrous contaminants (friction material, yellow metals, aluminum).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back