Magnefine leak, transmission damage?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Been here learning from this site.

Apologies for the stupid questions

Magnefine in-line filter on a g35 auto, the shop that did it did a not-so-great job and it leaked all over the highway.

The stealership put 4 qts back in. The other day, the shifter shook a little on the highway, almost like it's slipping?

Can a blackstone laboratory report show the condition of the transmission?

I would go back to the shop that did it ASAP and try to get a warranty repair.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Basil
I would go back to the shop that did it ASAP and try to get a warranty repair.
+1
thumbsup2.gif

I tried, at the very least get reimbursed for the dealership fees, but the shop said it wasn't their fault.

Just frustrating, I don't know how you can charge people money but not stand behind your work.

I might send a sample to blackstone, do you think that would indicate anything? Sorry to be paranoid.

Relax. You're looking for "signs". Everything from rattles to loose dash knobs will find its way back to this event. Totally natural.

Anyway, can you give us a play by play on the way it happened? I tend to think that as you lost fluid you released most of the load producing mechanisms in the trans. It's somewhat different than spinning your tires while in a snow bank ..over heating the fluid and grinding the internals to paste.

Gary, you're right, I do need to relax, and at the end of the day, it's just a car.

But, it's just, the dealership says it's an after-market item so if I have to get the transmission fixed, it'll be out of pocket, you know?

Apologies for boring everyone, but the at fluid came out on the driveway...I didn't see it so I kept driving...usually on the highway, I'm at 3k rpm's, but I was at 4k.

Then at a red light, I press the gas, and it goes to 8k rpm's, so I just let the car roll to a stop, then turn it off.

I think the capacity is 10 qts of at fluid, and the dealership had to refill 4.

Was it the Magnefine that failed or was the installation done improperly (loose hose clamp, etc) ?

In any case, we're not bored. In my experience, automatics lose pressure due to low oil and quit working first and if the owner doesn't push the issue by continuing to try the force the car to go, minimal wear occurs. I know nothing about your particular car, but have seen plenty of automatic that blew a cooler hose and every one I remember just quit. When the hose was fixed and the trans refilled, they went back to normal operation. We're try to allay you worries by telling you the odds are pretty good that no (serious) harm was done.

It sounds like you pushed it until it wouldn't go any more. If it was slipping by 1000 rpm on the highway, you definitely could have roasted the tranny. Of course, Jim's question needs to be answered first, so we can assign blame.

Jim, it was the installation that was done improperly (loose hose clamp).

Due to my stupidity, rslifkin, I didn't know it was slipping...I did notice that it was 1k rpm different, but I didn't know why.

The dealership ran an electronic check on the trans and said nothing was wrong?

If I did do damage, Jim, would a blackstone laboratory report indicate that? Maybe super high wear numbers?

Last edited:
Chances are, if there was any damage, it was just clutch wear, which leaves a grey, sludgy looking material in the tranny pan. It would have definitely shortened the trannies life, but if it's shifting properly without slippage now, and checks out according to the dealer, it isn't going to die suddenly.

It may just last 150k (just an example, actual mileage will vary) before it starts slipping due to lack of clutch material vs maybe 180k (another example) if this incident hadn't happened.

I don't think a UOA will show this except in terms of oxidation if it got hot. The problem is that 4 quarts were added. I don't know the composition of clutch packs.

Do you have both work orders involved? The one for the installation of the magnefine and the dealer replacing the line? Hold on to both.

appreciate the knowledge, guys.

also, i forgot to mention, when i shut the car off, there was a puff of white smoke coming out of the engine.

what is that?

a co-worker told me it coulda been at fluid touching the exhaust manifold.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back