Made the switch to GC 0W-30

Status
Not open for further replies.
I own a new 05 Subaru Legact GT. Today I made the switch to GC 0W-30 at 3200 miles. First off the car idles like a completely different car. Great improvement. Car used to idle like crap, now it's hard to tell if it's running. Second, mpg went up significantly. Was averaging 20.5mpg and now after 150 miles on CG I'm at 26.8mpg. Can't tell if there is any performance increase. BTW - It was the Gold GC for what it's worth. Figured I'd spread the good word. Also, just got off the phone with my wife who's 04 Subaru Outback with 20k miles has been running and idling like crap. She made the GC switch too this morning and had a 200 mile business trip. She says the car is unbelievable. Running and idling like a luxury car. I'm impressed. She was previously running Mobil1 5W-30 EP. I am a total skeptic. I don't believe in snake oil. Can't stand Mobil1. I've used it in several cars with no real noticable difference. But this GC stuff works. Don't know or care why, but it really works. Thanks to you guys at BITOG for all the hard work to my benefit.

fruit.gif
burnout.gif
Awesome...can't wait to get GC into my Subaru (2005 WRX STi), just another 200 miles and she'll be sportin' the green too!
grin.gif

quote:

Originally posted by msforr:
Today I made the switch to GC 0W-30 at 3200 miles. First off the car idles like a completely different car. Great improvement.

Second, mpg went up significantly. Was averaging 20.5mpg

Figured I'd spread the good word. Also, just got off the phone with my wife who's 04 Subaru Outback with 20k miles has been running and idling like crap. She made the GC switch too this morning and had a 200 mile business trip. She says the car is unbelievable. Running and idling like a luxury car.

Either a troll or pscholte rebadged
grin.gif
!

quote:

Second, mpg went up significantly. Was averaging 20.5mpg and now after 150 miles on CG I'm at 26.8mpg.

Gee...I knew GC was great oil, but I didn't know it could also defy the laws of physics too. pscholte, you've been holding out on us?
grin.gif

Just got home and sitting at 26.5mpg. This car is listed at 19/25mpg. Go figure. Runs and idles sweet.

msforr, I don't doubt your observations, but a 29% increase in fuel economy with just an oil change is hard to believe unless the oil that was in there was extremely deficient is some way.

quote:

Originally posted by Boxgrover:

quote:

Today I made the switch to GC 0W-30 at 3200 miles. First off the car idles like a completely different car. Great improvement.

Second, mpg went up significantly. Was averaging 20.5mpg

Figured I'd spread the good word. Also, just got off the phone with my wife who's 04 Subaru Outback with 20k miles has been running and idling like crap. She made the GC switch too this morning and had a 200 mile business trip. She says the car is unbelievable. Running and idling like a luxury car.

Either a troll or pscholte rebadged
grin.gif
!

Don't look at me...I'm still the same ol' Elfe Meister I always was.

quote:

Originally posted by 427Z06:

quote:

Second, mpg went up significantly. Was averaging 20.5mpg and now after 150 miles on CG I'm at 26.8mpg.

Gee...I knew GC was great oil, but I didn't know it could also defy the laws of physics too. pscholte, you've been holding out on us?
grin.gif

The bag of tricks has a really deep pocket...never know what I will pull out of there!
wink.gif

quote:

Originally posted by 427Z06:
msforr, I don't doubt your observations, but a 29% increase in fuel economy with just an oil change is hard to believe unless the oil that was in there was extremely deficient is some way.

Tell us how you came up with an increase in mileage?

EDIT: Oops, meant for msforr.

My Legacy GT has a mpg display. Also, this model is only supposed to get 19/25mpg, so I don't know how I'm getting better than that. This is a no BS post, just my observations. Also, this mornings mpg is at 25.8mpg after my drive to work (slow rush hour highway) and car keeps running and idling very nicely. I do think I may be seeing a slight longer lag in turbo spool. We'll see.

Relying on the MPG display is not accurate. I highly doubt that you're getting that much increase in MPG just from an oil.

I calculate my MPG this way:

-Fill up gas tank.
-Set MPG display to zero before leaving gas station.
-Drive as you would normally until 1/4 tank is left.
-Drive to gas station and fill er up.
-Note the mileage driven on the MPG display.
-Divide the mileage by the amount of gallons it took to fill the tank.
-There's your MPG average.

this car only has 3200 miles? If the MPG did go up at this point, I am going to say it is still being broken in.

How else would you know the amount of gas pumped into the tank? When I fill up my gas tank and get my receipt I would think the amount printed or displayed is accurate...it's not an average like the MPG display is shown in the car.

The volume measured by the gas pump HAS to be accurate as that is what is used to charge for the fuel. They are checked on a regular basis and recalibrated as necessary. The law only allows for a very small margin of error.

quote:

My Legacy GT has a mpg display. Also, this model is only supposed to get 19/25mpg, so I don't know how I'm getting better than that. This is a no BS post, just my observations. Also, this mornings mpg is at 25.8mpg after my drive to work (slow rush hour highway) and car keeps running and idling very nicely. I do think I may be seeing a slight longer lag in turbo spool. We'll see.

Over several tankfulls I've averaged over the EPA estimated mileage for my 05 Outback (estimated milage is 30 highway and I've averaged 31.8). That's with Amsoil though, not GC.

I'm up some too, with the use of GC, mine is still being broke in as well - at 141K
tongue.gif
wink.gif

Went up from 19 in town to 20-21 mpg in a 5K# SUV; gotta say though, I do not like the way this "green" GC is running in this engine though.

It idles a bit rougher, has some lag, and the lifters are a bit noisier.

GC is definitely not for every engine, but wanted to give it a try.

Well, GC is finally in my STi!
cheers.gif

Drained the Mobil 7500 10w-30 yesterday morning and filled it with the lovely green elixir. So far I have to say the engine does seem a bit quieter (although the car overall is far from quiet). It also feels thicker to me (on my oh-so-accurate butt-dyno
wink.gif
), but this is just an initial feeling with only 75 miles on the oil. We'll see how the oil does over my planned 5,000 OCI.

I believe that an oil can make a tangible difference in how an engine runs... when I drained the Rotella "Synthetic" 5W-40/ARX mix out of my F250 and put in a mix of ProLine 10W-30 and Castrol GTX 20W-50 (to use up some oil laying around in my garage) for the ARX rinse phase, the engine ran MUCH rougher.

Anyway, I can hardly wait 'til the ARXing is done in all of my vehicles so I can put GC in the Explorer and C20 (the F250 will stick with Rotella).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back