Made the switch to GC 0W-30

Status
Not open for further replies.
Joined
Jul 14, 2005
Messages
7
Location
USA
I own a new 05 Subaru Legact GT. Today I made the switch to GC 0W-30 at 3200 miles. First off the car idles like a completely different car. Great improvement. Car used to idle like crap, now it's hard to tell if it's running. Second, mpg went up significantly. Was averaging 20.5mpg and now after 150 miles on CG I'm at 26.8mpg. Can't tell if there is any performance increase. BTW - It was the Gold GC for what it's worth. Figured I'd spread the good word. Also, just got off the phone with my wife who's 04 Subaru Outback with 20k miles has been running and idling like crap. She made the GC switch too this morning and had a 200 mile business trip. She says the car is unbelievable. Running and idling like a luxury car. I'm impressed. She was previously running Mobil1 5W-30 EP. I am a total skeptic. I don't believe in snake oil. Can't stand Mobil1. I've used it in several cars with no real noticable difference. But this GC stuff works. Don't know or care why, but it really works. Thanks to you guys at BITOG for all the hard work to my benefit.
 
Joined
Nov 7, 2004
Messages
2,493
Location
MSP 'burbs, MN
[Happy] [Burnout] Awesome...can't wait to get GC into my Subaru (2005 WRX STi), just another 200 miles and she'll be sportin' the green too! [Big Grin]
 
Joined
Jun 4, 2005
Messages
2,230
Location
Southern Ontario
quote:
Originally posted by msforr: Today I made the switch to GC 0W-30 at 3200 miles. First off the car idles like a completely different car. Great improvement. Second, mpg went up significantly. Was averaging 20.5mpg Figured I'd spread the good word. Also, just got off the phone with my wife who's 04 Subaru Outback with 20k miles has been running and idling like crap. She made the GC switch too this morning and had a 200 mile business trip. She says the car is unbelievable. Running and idling like a luxury car.
Either a troll or pscholte rebadged [Big Grin] !
 
Joined
Dec 6, 2003
Messages
7,409
Location
Austin, TX
quote:
Originally posted by msforr: Second, mpg went up significantly. Was averaging 20.5mpg and now after 150 miles on CG I'm at 26.8mpg.
Gee...I knew GC was great oil, but I didn't know it could also defy the laws of physics too. pscholte, you've been holding out on us? [Big Grin]
 

msforr

Thread starter
Joined
Jul 14, 2005
Messages
7
Location
USA
Just got home and sitting at 26.5mpg. This car is listed at 19/25mpg. Go figure. Runs and idles sweet.
 
Joined
Dec 6, 2003
Messages
7,409
Location
Austin, TX
msforr, I don't doubt your observations, but a 29% increase in fuel economy with just an oil change is hard to believe unless the oil that was in there was extremely deficient is some way.
 
Joined
Jul 2, 2003
Messages
5,358
Location
Gone
quote:
Originally posted by Boxgrover:
quote:
Originally posted by msforr: Today I made the switch to GC 0W-30 at 3200 miles. First off the car idles like a completely different car. Great improvement. Second, mpg went up significantly. Was averaging 20.5mpg Figured I'd spread the good word. Also, just got off the phone with my wife who's 04 Subaru Outback with 20k miles has been running and idling like crap. She made the GC switch too this morning and had a 200 mile business trip. She says the car is unbelievable. Running and idling like a luxury car.
Either a troll or pscholte rebadged [Big Grin] !

Don't look at me...I'm still the same ol' Elfe Meister I always was.
 
Joined
Jul 2, 2003
Messages
5,358
Location
Gone
quote:
Originally posted by 427Z06:
quote:
Originally posted by msforr: Second, mpg went up significantly. Was averaging 20.5mpg and now after 150 miles on CG I'm at 26.8mpg.
Gee...I knew GC was great oil, but I didn't know it could also defy the laws of physics too. pscholte, you've been holding out on us? [Big Grin]

The bag of tricks has a really deep pocket...never know what I will pull out of there! [Wink]
 
Joined
Aug 23, 2002
Messages
377
Location
New Jersey, USA
quote:
Originally posted by 427Z06: msforr, I don't doubt your observations, but a 29% increase in fuel economy with just an oil change is hard to believe unless the oil that was in there was extremely deficient is some way.
Tell us how you came up with an increase in mileage? EDIT: Oops, meant for msforr.
 

msforr

Thread starter
Joined
Jul 14, 2005
Messages
7
Location
USA
My Legacy GT has a mpg display. Also, this model is only supposed to get 19/25mpg, so I don't know how I'm getting better than that. This is a no BS post, just my observations. Also, this mornings mpg is at 25.8mpg after my drive to work (slow rush hour highway) and car keeps running and idling very nicely. I do think I may be seeing a slight longer lag in turbo spool. We'll see.
 
Joined
Aug 23, 2002
Messages
377
Location
New Jersey, USA
Relying on the MPG display is not accurate. I highly doubt that you're getting that much increase in MPG just from an oil. I calculate my MPG this way: -Fill up gas tank. -Set MPG display to zero before leaving gas station. -Drive as you would normally until 1/4 tank is left. -Drive to gas station and fill er up. -Note the mileage driven on the MPG display. -Divide the mileage by the amount of gallons it took to fill the tank. -There's your MPG average.
 
Joined
Apr 13, 2005
Messages
165
Location
Tn
this car only has 3200 miles? If the MPG did go up at this point, I am going to say it is still being broken in.
 
Joined
Aug 23, 2002
Messages
377
Location
New Jersey, USA
How else would you know the amount of gas pumped into the tank? When I fill up my gas tank and get my receipt I would think the amount printed or displayed is accurate...it's not an average like the MPG display is shown in the car.
 
Joined
Apr 17, 2005
Messages
462
Location
Big Bear Lake, CA
The volume measured by the gas pump HAS to be accurate as that is what is used to charge for the fuel. They are checked on a regular basis and recalibrated as necessary. The law only allows for a very small margin of error.
 
Joined
Jun 22, 2004
Messages
1,779
Location
Central Iowa
quote:
Originally posted by msforr: My Legacy GT has a mpg display. Also, this model is only supposed to get 19/25mpg, so I don't know how I'm getting better than that. This is a no BS post, just my observations. Also, this mornings mpg is at 25.8mpg after my drive to work (slow rush hour highway) and car keeps running and idling very nicely. I do think I may be seeing a slight longer lag in turbo spool. We'll see.
Over several tankfulls I've averaged over the EPA estimated mileage for my 05 Outback (estimated milage is 30 highway and I've averaged 31.8). That's with Amsoil though, not GC.
 
Joined
Jun 28, 2005
Messages
1,627
Location
Timberline
I'm up some too, with the use of GC, mine is still being broke in as well - at 141K [Razz] [Wink] Went up from 19 in town to 20-21 mpg in a 5K# SUV; gotta say though, I do not like the way this "green" GC is running in this engine though. It idles a bit rougher, has some lag, and the lifters are a bit noisier. GC is definitely not for every engine, but wanted to give it a try.
 
Joined
Nov 7, 2004
Messages
2,493
Location
MSP 'burbs, MN
Well, GC is finally in my STi! [Cheers!] Drained the Mobil 7500 10w-30 yesterday morning and filled it with the lovely green elixir. So far I have to say the engine does seem a bit quieter (although the car overall is far from quiet). It also feels thicker to me (on my oh-so-accurate butt-dyno [Wink] ), but this is just an initial feeling with only 75 miles on the oil. We'll see how the oil does over my planned 5,000 OCI.
 
Joined
Aug 10, 2004
Messages
1,420
Location
High in the Mountains of Central California
I believe that an oil can make a tangible difference in how an engine runs... when I drained the Rotella "Synthetic" 5W-40/ARX mix out of my F250 and put in a mix of ProLine 10W-30 and Castrol GTX 20W-50 (to use up some oil laying around in my garage) for the ARX rinse phase, the engine ran MUCH rougher. Anyway, I can hardly wait 'til the ARXing is done in all of my vehicles so I can put GC in the Explorer and C20 (the F250 will stick with Rotella).
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top