Made Apple Wine....TOOOO strong...need ideas...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Made a apple wine from a recipe I got off another forum I frequent. Pretty simple to do. Got it all together and pitched the yeast on 5/1. Didn't have "wine" yeast, but used Coopers yeast I had laying around from other brews I had made. This stuff fermented for about two weeks. Finally cleared and then racked to keg on 6/28. Tried it this past weekend and Holy Cow Batman. This stuff was POTENT. I didn't have a hydrometer, but from my experience and getting knocked off my feet with three glasses, it's pushing 10% ABV. Wayyyyy to strong and really dry. So, at this point, do I have any options to dilute it? Can I just simply back sweeten it with more plain apple juice? Or add lactose and water? Or how about maybe even grape juice? Need to do something so I don't dump it all out. After what happened to me drinking a couple of mugs, especially what the wife told me, I'm scared to drink it. 20 years ago, wouldn't be a problem....

Well... first question.

How far are you from OU? There are guys their that will take it off your hands.
grin2.gif

Beer chaser? I would start by adding maybe 3 oz water or grape juice depending on your tastes to every 10 oz of wine. Maybe look for some drink recipies that call for wine and use it more sparingly?

About 30 minutes from OU...
the wife laid down the law....I guess I got stupid and was/or stupid. I had been sipping on a couple of mugs of my honey wheat while cutting the grass and then floated that that keg and tapped the apple wine and drank it about the same speed as the brew. I guess it caught up with me later because I don't remember much. She about had a cow and started bringing back "old times" we use to have when she worked at a bar and I was hanging out along while giving me "the look." I couldn't even talk straight. I honestly didn't think this stuff would be that strong. In a nutshell, don't let this happen again or I can permanently move into the garage....
Pablo....that simple? Just add more applejuice?

Why not the keg and let it all blend in and age a little bit? What harm could that do?

Even though I racked off the cake and the keg has been sitting in the kegerator for well over a week? I thought that way too, but I was thinking along the lines of beer, whereas there might still be some yeast in suspension. However, I used an ale yeast and I was under the impression that fermentation wouldn't start up again below 45 degrees.

Last time I made apple wine/cider it was named the "stoopid sauce" because of its effects. (several years ago)

An ale yeast shouldn't allow an ABV high enough to get you drunk extra quickly, even at 10-12% you are only at the bottom of wine range and at the top of a strong beer. A biochemist friend, and fellow stoopid sauce drinker, surmised it may have other compounds/toxins that cause stoopid effects.

Pablo beat me to it, re-fermentation would probably happen eventually.
I would cut it with apple juice when drinking as said previously. If you thought it was good when tasting it, it probably wouldn't want to be diluted with water.

1) Wait till the wife goes out of town.
2) Throw a party.
3) Clean up the house before she gets home.

Nah, if it was me I'd just cut it with apple juice when drinking it.

I'm thinking about cutting it with 7-Up. That would surely sweeten it up a lot.

Add distilled water, a small amount of stevia and some apple flavoring to compensate for the loss if you HAVE TO. Personally I'd let it mellow for a while and use it as a pain relieving tonic! I sure wished that I would have had such a concoction handy to aid my constant ear ache from my now ex-wife's banter! If all else fails fire up a coil and make some apple brandy!

Originally Posted By: tom slick
Last time I made apple wine/cider it was named the "stoopid sauce" because of its effects. (several years ago)

An ale yeast shouldn't allow an ABV high enough to get you drunk extra quickly, even at 10-12% you are only at the bottom of wine range and at the top of a strong beer. A biochemist friend, and fellow stoopid sauce drinker, surmised it may have other compounds/toxins that cause stoopid effects.

FIL (who very rarely messes up a home brew), once made a batch that had a "banana" aftertaste, was wicked in effect, and after effect.

His couple of visits with the vinegar fly were WAY more easily avoided.

Originally Posted By: Schmoe
In a nutshell, don't let this happen again or I can permanently move into the garage....
Hmm, not that bad of an idea, a garage is a man's castle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back